Experiences of the more 'mature' runners amongst us...

Options
As I approach 50 I’m wondering how others of similar or older age manage with running. I can go quite a distance but can’t seem to improve on speed without my HRM redlining. What are your highs and lows, achievements..? A year ago I never thought I’d be running again at all…

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to compete with my younger self.

That ship sailed.
    But!
    For a guy pushing 50, I do well, and that's enough.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi Bobby, thanks for the friend invite. I'm particularly interested in whether anyone has made significant improvements as regards speed. I CAN run faster without tiring or getting out of breath, but my FT4 says not a good idea - I guess I have to listen to what the HRM says, or why did I buy it..!
  • NatalieJane25
    NatalieJane25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm 42 and find the only thing that stops me improving my speed is me. Can can be a plodder but if I set my mind to it can do 7 1/2 min miles , have to say although i use a Garmin I never worry about my HR. Turn the HRM off and go out and do a couple of miles as fast as you can push yourself you might suprise yourself
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Two months ago I couldn't picture myself running, but last night I jogged down to the drug store. I'm 57, and I am in the best shape I remember in 40 years.
    I'm not really interested in huge advances in speed, I'm just loving this feeling of health, and strength. I'm sure I will crank it up, but right now, I'm happy to be plodding along, getting a little better each day.
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I stopped using my HRM after the battery went flat, All I know is that 10kmh is a good speed and the HRM on my treadmill indicates high 130's when running and after I stop its down to about 115 within a minute. I have a HRM 'app' on my phone that uses the camera and a finger over the lens. Not sure how accurate they are. I guess the question has to be do I push myself a bit even though it goes above the 80% (max - RHR x80% plus RHR) Personally I have to push myself a bit to get better speed and endurance.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 next year and I just started running 5 months ago and did a half marathon in October. I want to run faster and joined a running club to work on my speed. After watching a 69 year old man run a 7:00 mile it's never to late to get faster.

• chanson104
    Options
    I think you would enjoy reading The Accidental Athlete.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Everyone tends to be an experiment of one in this case, so I would not put artificial limits on anyone. Physiologically, there is no reason why runners over 50 cannot work on performance. There are some issues, however, that an older runner should consider:

1. Underlying health problems, esp coronary artery disease. Lifestyle diseases such as CAD develop slowly over years and can be present at critical levels while showing no symptoms. At that point, any number of things can trigger an acute event--including substantial increases in effort. The fact is that while exercise provides long-term health benefits and reduces overall risk for heart disease, during the exercise session itself, risk is increased. That's not to say that over-50s should not be competitive--it's just something that needs to be taken into consideration.

2. Musculoskeletal concerns. An older body needs more time to recover and is less tolerant of acute changes and stresses placed upon it. Things like stretching, and muscle conditioning are more important.

3. Rate of improvement will be slower. Partly because it's best to ramp up training more gradually, partly because it just takes longer.

Like I said, there is no reason for anyone to arbitrarily limit themselves--just be aware and proactive.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am 48 years old and started running consistently in 2009. I have no younger me to compare myself to since I wasn't running back then so everything is basically an improvement. When I first started running I thought I'd never run more than 5 miles, wasn't interested in entering races and ran with a pace of around 12-13 minutes per mile.

Flash forward to today and I've just wrapped up all my events for 2011. I've run in 20 racing events on road and trail from the half marathon distance and longer. Highlights were a half marathon PR of 1:54 (8:45 pace), two 50K trail races and one 50 mile trail race. I'm not back of the pack either. I've hit the age group podium in a few of the races I've entered and can typically beat many men and women who are younger than me. I continue to improve and have learned a lot about how to treat this soon to be 49 year old body to keep up with all the things I throw at it.

The primary thing is I know that I need to incorporate a lot of recovery time into my training plan. If I feel something start to act up I cross train to let it get better. I don't try and beat it into submission because it doesn't get better that way. I've learned to be patient. Learning how to rest and recover was a super important lesson for me.

Next year I'm going to be doing the Miwok 100K Trail Race. I'm the poster child for "It's never too late". :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Thanks, I read the reviews on this and just ordered it from Amazon...
  • rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 55, and started running about 4 and 1/2 years ago. I never bother with a HRM, but I do know that my max HR is definitely higher than 220-age. Most of my runs are slow and easy. I usually run 10 miles every morning these days. I'm on target to hit 3000 miles for this year, if I keep the same rate. Like you, I thought I would never be able to run fast at all, but by taking it easy and not pushing too hard, I've been able to get down to something like a 7:00 minute mile. I did get a boston qualifying time at my last marathon (8th try). So I think anyone could do it, if I could (no natural skill at all for sports). I would say, do lots of slow easy runs, and put in the occasional set of 8 x 100 meter strides.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm an adult onset runner, having picked up the habit about 9.5 years ago.

At age 45, I'm still setting PRs (at some distances). I'll finish the 2011 with a bit over 2,400 miles run. No plans to slow down.
  • SWFrick
    SWFrick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and was recently wondering the same thing. I've done (4) 5k's in the last year and my time is always right about the same. That being said I've been a PowerLifter for years and running was just something that I didn't do. As I've gotten older and at my doctors suggestion I've been moving to lighter weights and adding in some cardio sessions. After hearing some of these replies maybe there is some hope for me after all. I've got a goal of doing a sprint triathlon in the spring and one of the things I'm working on is getting my weight down from 233lbs to some thing closer to 200lb by race time. If anyone has any suggestions, hints or ideas for my race please let me know.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 55, and started running about 4 and 1/2 years ago. I never bother with a HRM, but I do know that my max HR is definitely higher than 220-age. Most of my runs are slow and easy. I usually run 10 miles every morning these days. I'm on target to hit 3000 miles for this year, if I keep the same rate. Like you, I thought I would never be able to run fast at all, but by taking it easy and not pushing too hard, I've been able to get down to something like a 7:00 minute mile. I did get a boston qualifying time at my last marathon (8th try). So I think anyone could do it, if I could (no natural skill at all for sports). I would say, do lots of slow easy runs, and put in the occasional set of 8 x 100 meter strides.

No, I don't think "anyone could do it". Which does not diminish your accomplishments or dedication one whit. You have earned, step-by-step, mile-by-mile, everything you have accomplished. The ability to sustain the training volume you have been able to do is unusual, as is the innate ability to be able to achieve a Boston qualifying time with your training. Those are things that not everyone can do, even with a lot of training. The fact that you, by your account, have "no natural skill..for sports", does not mean you do not have any physical ability. I suspect you have more talent than you think.

In any case, congratulations on what you have achieved and best of luck in your future races. You provide a good example of why no one should give themselves arbitrary limits just because of age.
  • When I did the Ironman I shot for 140 bpm for almost 15 hrs..
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm 48. Low is 42ish, high is 210.

Interval training is the thing that will improve your speed. Once a week session working up to 3 sessions/week will make you so fast you wont believe it. But watch the ligaments and give them time to adapt.

IE: http://fasttraxnordicteam.blogspot.com/2011/12/sinister-7-cdr-training.html
  • dmwiseman
    dmwiseman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'll have to give it a read.

To the OP I started running in my 50s, ran my first (slow) 5K at 53 and my 3rd half-marathon a couple of weeks ago (2:14:47). While I strive for improvement (I'm more interested in pushing the distance envelope than the speed one) I accept the fact that I'm a middle-of-the-pack runner.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I cannot ever reach my max heartrate either because It is actually lower than I think it is or because I run a lot, have a pretty good aerobic base, and rarely am fully recovered.

I started running again in Feb 2011 and my experience is that it is still possible to run well, although I don't have a lot of younger races to compare to. So far this running iteration I ran a Marathon in 3:50, a half in 1:35, and a 5K in 20:10.

I have found myself able to handle high mileage at generally easy paces well and ran the half and 5k off only base mileage averaging 70 miles per week for a few months. Lately I have added track work and find that it wears me down so I have lowered my mileage a little. I am going to keep at it for a while and see what happens.

Generally the body seems to be holding up well. My only serious injury was last year when I first started back running I ramped my mileage from 0 to 60 miles per week in 3 months while also transitioning to vibram shoes. That caused a stress fracture in my foot. (That injury I think was due more to hard headed stupidity than age) Since that healed the only thing has been minor aches and pains and a minor case of PF that took 3 weeks to overcome.