Exercise Rotation...

Options
Hi everyone! This may have been covered in a previous thread but I'm new..sorry =)...Can anyone help me out deciding on my exercise rotation? I currently work out 6 days a week - 3 lighter days and 3 heavier days...I am rotating through a variety of the Firm workouts for strength and toning, and running for straight cardio but think I want something more structured - any ideas??

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would keep an excel spread sheet of what you do on your workout day so you can see how your workouts are progressing through the week and see which workouts are pushing you in the right directions and which aren't. It is always good to mix up your routine to work different muscles so that your building your whole core and not just one muscle at a time!!
  • lbecker5
    lbecker5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about muscle boredom and your body becoming used to an exercise - how many times would you say to repeat the same workout? I love doing the Firm workouts on Gaiam TV - they incorporate cardio intervals and plyometrics with weights but I want to keep seeing results and was worried that if I do the same workout too many times that it would no longer be effective...
  • cjpierce94
    cjpierce94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What I do is this-
    Day 1- Legs/biceps 15 min cardio
    Day 2- Chest/Triceps
    Day 3- Back/biceps 15 min cardio
    Day 4- 45 min. cardio
    Day 5- Legs
    Day 6- Chest/Triceps
    Day 7- Back/Biceps

Day 4 is more of a rest day, the 45 minutes is straight walking.
    Day 1-3 is all heavy for the core lifts
    Day 5-7 is all high rep.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There is no real muscle "boredom". The key is progression. If you lift weights, keep lifting heavier. If you do cardio, keep pushing it harder. As long as you keep pushing the edge, you will be fine for a good long while.

There are advantages in switching up your routine, especially with exercise videos. Assuming your goal is overall fitness, you will want to address the areas that each routine is lacking. All of that said, you are looking at a period of months, not days or even weeks.
  • lbecker5
    lbecker5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    any ideas on weight? I use 3, 5, and 8 pounds..should I be progressing heavier than that??
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help but...

I have decided to rotate by dates. For example, I have a vacation coming up in mid July, so two weeks ago I decided to do kickboxing or yoga in the AM, followed by a specific weight routine in the PM, upper one night, lower the second night, rinse and repeat. After my vacation, I have a different plan to take me through to Labor Day (new cardio and new weight routine). Not just to keep my interest level up, but also to give me enough time to achieve some advancement in my routine.