Sweat not salty?

Options
Before you freak out, no I don't regularly taste my sweat! :laugh: But I do work out hard, and it does get in my mouth sometimes. It used to be pretty salty, and now it's just like water.

I don't limit my salt intake because I have low blood pressure and the doctor told me to eat more salt. I don't over-hydrate during workouts (usually sips through the workout and finish the bottle after). I take multi-vitamins (plus a few specific ones) daily.

Is this good or bad? Should I be worried or feel lucky? I know excessively-salty sweat is a problem, but non-salty??

Replies

• mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm either a freak and no one knows what I'm talking about..or this got buried in the "recent posts". Bumping my own post hoping someone has an idea?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As your body becomes more fit it loses less salt in the sweat. So, you are normal.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • inette5
    inette5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am glad I am not the only one. I searched to see if anyone else experienced this and what they may attribute it to. I think for me it may be that I have drastically cut down on processed foods, and increased both my activity level and water intake. But I must say it was a pleasant surprise when sweat got into my mouth and I wasn't grossed out by a icky salty taste. I can deal with sweat tasting like water....not that i am purposely letting sweat get in my mouth smile:
  • 49willys
    49willys Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not sure I believe that the healthier a person gets the less salt they sweat. I'm 265 lbs. Roughly 90lbs overweight and my sweat is absolutely without salt. Not even a hint of salt. I was working on my car last night and noticed again, as sweat ran down my face, it tasted like clean water. I've searched the internet and can't seem to get a straight answer on why my sweat totally lacks saltiness. Some say it's healthy, some say it's not. Guess I'll ask the doctor.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i doubt that it means that anything is wrong.

Fresh sweat isnt that salty at all. Only when there are residues of salt due to evaporated sweat on your skin will the sweat begin to taste proper salty. Try it! :happy:

Start worrying when you stop sweating as dehydration is well underway.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a low sodium diet, or mostly whole non-processed foods?
  • tracietooker
    Options
    I think this article explains it well. I noticed lack of salty taste this morning and i though it had something to do with the high heat, but I was very stressed last night and this article's explanation goes with that.

http://www.drgangemi.com/articles/light_on_salt/
  • tracietooker
    Options
    This too. A different, but just as convincing article.

http://antranik.org/the-renin-angiotensin-aldosterone-reflex/
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Not salty is good, your body is balanced.

http://m.active.com/nutrition/Articles/What-does-your-Sweat-Taste-Like.htm

Check it out, your body tells you what your diet is missing or having too much of :)
  • grandevampire
    grandevampire Posts: 242
    Options
    I think this article explains it well. I noticed lack of salty taste this morning and i though it had something to do with the high heat, but I was very stressed last night and this article's explanation goes with that.

http://www.drgangemi.com/articles/light_on_salt/

THANK YOU! This answers my life. I.e. why the family lab always used my barefoot as a lollipop. Since starting to exercise, eat clean by cutting out most processed junk and sugars (as the article suggests), and upping my water intake, many of the listed symptoms seem to have reduced or disappeared on their own. Maybe it is mostly the exercise whipping my adrenal glands back in order though!
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i just noticed this the other day. i have been drinking about a gallon of water a day and i thought that had something to do with it. i would like to count the fact that my sweat is not salty as an NSV!