Has anyone tried Calorie Cycling?

Options

Replies

• cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I cycle up, not down, but only a couple of days a week. I like the idea of zig zagging daily but I don't think I'd be very good at keeping track...

Also try varying your workout routine if you haven't changed that in a while.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

The 500 cal days how do you eat - 1 or 2 meals only towards the end of the day, lots of little snacks?

After lots of trials I found that one high protein meal works best for me. And I eat it as late in the day as possible. Today is one of my low cal days and I'm probably not going to eat anything until 7pm, then eat a plate of chicken, cucumber, tomato... There are others who graze all day, but I found that eating triggers hunger for me and as long as I haven't eaten yet I am not hungry, which makes it pretty effortless. Protein has been key for me, but there are others who do better with high fat, or a high volume of low cal foods. The plan is called "The Alternate Day Diet" or "Up day down day diet", JUDDD for short.

I had been intermittent fasting for a while before I came across this eating plan, but I was doing an eating window every day as opposed to alternate day fasting, this was my first attempt at this and I've absolutely loved it, it's been great for me and has been really easy to fit around my life (if there's an event coming up, just shuffle it around so that it falls on an "up day").

I've heard about that alternate day diet. I have done intermittent fasting quite easily in the past. I agree that eating 1 meal on your 500 cal day much easier than grazing - I would also be hungry grazing.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me was giving myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 it change to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal.

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

The closer you get to your goal the smaller your range.
    Now that I'm on maintenance... I'm trying to find a new way to define my range.
    Trying to hit the same number every day is not really working for me.
    While my weekly total is higher on maintenance I miss having was seemed like a splurge day.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How do you work in your high exercise days into this mix? I work out 6 days a week, pretty intensely with a calorie burn (recorded with my heart monitor) of between 400-700 calories a day monday-saturday. do I disregard my calorie burn when calculating needed calories or work it in along with some additional calories for high days?
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    How do you work in your high exercise days into this mix? I work out 6 days a week, pretty intensely with a calorie burn (recorded with my heart monitor) of between 400-700 calories a day monday-saturday. do I disregard my calorie burn when calculating needed calories or work it in along with some additional calories for high days?
    Susan, my workouts are not changing. I workout the way I always do. So one day I might eat 2000 calories, the next day I eat 500 calories. Either way I eat back any additional calories I burn working out those days.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Im trying this starting today ! i have been plateauing for about 3 months. VERY frustrating!
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying it to help cut up. So far I haven't seen any results but it's only been a few days and since my goal isn't weight loss, it may be more difficult for me to see progress since I'm basing it on my own perception and not the scale. But like someone else said, what could it hurt.
  • sr4ca
    sr4ca Posts: 43
    Options
    bump
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This isn't working for me. I've been calorie cycling for over a month now. I initially put on about 5 lbs and then lost it within a week. The scale has not budged since then. Not sure if I want to give it more time or try something else.
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hit a platue and have been calorie cycling for two weeks.......Im down 2 lbs, which is cool, but still not seeing the fat move despite my workouts! I am going to try JUDDD this week and see if that gets things moving. It is a similar idea to the calorie cycling, but not as restrictive on your carbs. Just need to find what works for me!! Ill keep yall posted!
  • missvino
    missvino Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi :)
    I successfully lost abut 2 stone 3 years ago and until recently had managed to easily keep it all off ( I have gained and I'm trying to lose about 7 lbs that i have put back on but i know that the gain has been purely due to business trips huge dinners and zero exercise !)
    I have only recently just discovered MFP so lost the weight by myself through being more careful what i ate and exercising more ( mostly walking). My natural intuition led me to cycle my calories - i can be very good during the week as i am so busy with work and can eat light and healthy and can exercise lots in the evening at the gym but my social life tends to see me out one night during the week for dinner and drinks etc and at least one night similar at the weekend. I always had a few days where i was way over my calorie goal but just naturally made up for this during the rest of the week and i found this way the weight came off me really quickly and i never felt like i was starving or punishing myself . I am taking the exact same approach now but with no system in mind- as long as my average net calories per week are on goal- Im all good as far as I am concerned and its working again with a steady 1 lb per week :)
    I recently queried the approach with the nutritionist at my new gym and he was said that along as you are on goal on average it is usually the better way to lose as your metabolism is 'kept on its toes' and doesn't get used to a specific restricted amount each day which is not what nature intended anyway :)
    He did say to me however that if someone has been on a daily restricted calorie diet for some time moving to this approach can take as long as 4 weeks for your body to adjust to!
    Everyone is different but i say stick with it - just my personal view but losing weight makes you feel good and you need to reward yourself sometimes for that too ! :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I successfully lost abut 2 stone 3 years ago and until recently had managed to easily keep it all off ( I have gained and I'm trying to lose about 7 lbs that i have put back on but i know that the gain has been purely due to business trips huge dinners and zero exercise !)
    I have only recently just discovered MFP so lost the weight by myself through being more careful what i ate and exercising more ( mostly walking). My natural intuition led me to cycle my calories - i can be very good during the week as i am so busy with work and can eat light and healthy and can exercise lots in the evening at the gym but my social life tends to see me out one night during the week for dinner and drinks etc and at least one night similar at the weekend. I always had a few days where i was way over my calorie goal but just naturally made up for this during the rest of the week and i found this way the weight came off me really quickly and i never felt like i was starving or punishing myself . I am taking the exact same approach now but with no system in mind- as long as my average net calories per week are on goal- Im all good as far as I am concerned and its working again with a steady 1 lb per week :)
    I recently queried the approach with the nutritionist at my new gym and he was said that along as you are on goal on average it is usually the better way to lose as your metabolism is 'kept on its toes' and doesn't get used to a specific restricted amount each day which is not what nature intended anyway :)
    He did say to me however that if someone has been on a daily restricted calorie diet for some time moving to this approach can take as long as 4 weeks for your body to adjust to!
    Everyone is different but i say stick with it - just my personal view but losing weight makes you feel good and you need to reward yourself sometimes for that too ! :)

I just love to hear true stories. :) I don't mind people sharing the science and all that theory and math, but real experience really helps me understand big time. Thanks!
  • missvino
    missvino Posts: 5
    Options
    I just love to hear true stories. :) I don't mind people sharing the science and all that theory and math, but real experience really helps me understand big time. Thanks!
    [/quote]

Thanks ! I wish you all the best with your goals ! I have no doubt you can do it ! :)
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Thanks ! I wish you all the best with your goals ! I have no doubt you can do it ! :)
    [/quote]

I tried it about 5 years ago and it totally worked!!

I became lazy and starting eating like my teenage daughter and gained. So I'm trying it again. I just have a hard time on this website changing my daily calories as they go up and down. I try to remember that some days will be lower/higher, but it's taking some time. Trying harder as I have hit a plateau eating the same amounts daily.

So I do love it!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    MFP does the maths for you - you don't have to eat an exact number each day, just work to eating your weekly net cals rather than daily. It is how people who don't need MFP and are slim eat anyway - lower on one day, higher on others and it all just balances out. Simples! ; )
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There isn't one single method to Carb (Calorie) Cycling and they all have very different aspects to follow with some being more rigid than others. Most Carb Cycling methods are tailored more for athletic individuals who either need to drop a small percentage of body fat or gain a few extra pounds of lean muscle while minimizing gains in body fat. There is, however, Intermittent Carb Cycling which is great for everyone - especially persons who need to lose more weight and aren't athletic.

The link details several versions (I'd skip over the Traditional): one of which I adhere to when concentrating on cutting and another which allows me to gain lean muscle mass while maintaining low body fat. Read through each and see which one appeals to you the most:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/researchapproved_carb_cycling;jsessionid=8F7E3BC57BD17F26BC44E0D045B5FBE7-mcd02.hydra
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tried this a while back and it worked. However, it just didn't fit into my routine very well. The low calorie days were hard and they effected my workouts.

I felt the same way!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    great post thanx,
    i wish i saw it last year when i was on a plataux for 7 months! ARRRRH :noway:
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks foe posting this. I have yet to hit a plateau, but with the weight seemingly falling off me I know I will be pushing luck eventually :laugh: I have this article bookmarked for future reference. Good luck breaking your plateau!