I hate running but I know I need it.

Options
Let me clarify. I hate long distance running, but I know its probably the most holistic way to get your body back into shape. Sprinting, is fun to me though, I look at is as a race. When I run long distance, I have all the negative thoughts in my head, how much my body hurts, my knees swelling, how I am probably not running right, I am too out of shape for this, etc etc etc. I know I need to run, but I don't know how to get started. I don't know how to keep going once all those negative thoughts start. So what is the best way to overcome all those negative thoughts and push forward? Also, how do you know the difference between pushing yourself and breaking yourself? (It feels the same)

Sara
Jacksonville, FL

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you like sprinting, then do intervals. Many feel they're superior to slow continuous endurance running in regard to fat burning.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You don't *need* to run to get in a proper workout. I don't, at all. My cardio comes mainly from jumping rope.

Who says you NEED to run? If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. Plenty of other forms of exercise out there.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I run because I love running. When I lace up my shoes and head out the door, my mood lifts. The longer I'm out there, the more peace I find.

If you don't enjoy running, though, I don't see why you should do it. Cycling is an excellent type of physical activity! If that's what you enjoy, do it!

Edit: ha! I'm a moron, I read "sprinting" as "spinning." ignore that comment about cycling. :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You don't *need* to run to get in a proper workout. I don't, at all. My cardio comes mainly from jumping rope.

Who says you NEED to run? If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. Plenty of other forms of exercise out there.

I agree! I happen to love running but also love Zumba, kickboxing, intervals, hill sprints and various other things. I constantly mix it up. Do what makes you happy and keeps you moving!
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to agree with the PPs - if running is not for you, there are plenty of other ways to get a great cardio workout.

If you do decide you want to keep running, you do need to make it enjoyable or at least bearable. If your body is hurting that much while you're running, you may be pushing too hard. If you're trying to build endurance and distance, do it at a slow, easy pace where you can maintain a conversation. You need to think about what your body is doing but don't overthink it - a little bit of distraction is a good thing. Bring along your iPod, run in places where you can enjoy the scenery, run with a friend, look for a running group in your city. When the negative thoughts start creeping in, you need to stop them and replace them with more positive ones. When you feel you can't go on, tell yourself you can. Track your progress so when you need a boost you can look back and see how far you have come.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to run to do anything.

To lose the weight, eat better. If you don't like your shape/look, lift.

That said, you're going to have much better success over a much longer time frame doing things you enjoy. If you like sprinting, then sprint (translates very well to HIIT). If not, find something else you enjoy.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't know why so many people feel the need to run when the y hate doing so.

If you hate it, stick with something that you like. If that's sprinting then do track workouts.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If running is physically hurting you (swollen knees, etc.) it might not be for you. Is swimming an option for you? That's a GREAT full-body workout and it's low-impact so it won't hurt your joints. You can still do sprints, long-distance, intervals, etc. just like running :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do not *need* to run. A LOT of fit/healthy weight people I know never run. If you hate it, do something else. If you like sprinting, very little beats HIIT for health impact in my book and sprints are perfect for that.
  • eustacescrubb
    eustacescrubb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should look into some form of group fitness class. The negative thoughts have an easier time conquering you when you are alone. In a group fitness class you have other people around you to encourage you. Look around for a "Les Mills" class like Body Combat or Turbo Kick. An hour in there will feel much easier than running, and you burn as many calories.
  • stephenjmac
    stephenjmac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know why so many people feel the need to run when the y hate doing so.

If you hate it, stick with something that you like. If that's sprinting then do track workouts.

EXACTLY. I've run two marathons and enjoyed the training for them, but I always ran in a group. It was a social time.
    I would say that I can rarely run for more than 5-7km on my own. If you want to give running a another shake, try joining a running group, the people may help keep you distracted. Otherwise do something you like.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love running but that doesn't mean it's right for you.

If you push yourself to do something that you don't enjoy 2 things can happen. You may grow to enjoy it (when I started running it was a "chore", I did it because it was good for me) but I'd say that's the exception not the rule. More likely scenario - you continue to dislike it, injure yourself and stop.

Do something that you enjoy, running is great exercise but it's not the only show in town.
  • goturtlego
    goturtlego Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Of course there are other ways to get a cardio work out in, but for me running seems to work the best for weight loss because it burns a lot of calories--approximately 100 per mile!

My suggestions to make it less painful:

1. GOOD SHOES.
    I'm a very frugal person and hate spending a lot of money on things, but do not cheap out on your running shoes! They are taking quite a pounding and are supporting all of your bones and joints. For your first pair, go to a dedicated running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes. Have them check your gait to see what kind of shoes you need. After a couple of pairs, you will know what works for you and can get things when they're on sale.

Having the wrong shoes could cause a lot of pain and injuries.

2. Couch to 5k
    This run/walk program is great for just starting out. It gradually builds up endurance and run time so the task doesn't seem too daunting. (Don't get me wrong, It is hard, and sucks to start out running, but this program made it doable for me)

There are apps for smartphones, but you can do the program without an app. (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)

3. Slow down.
    Speed will come with time. I know you like to sprint, but with distance running you have to slow it down A LOT to get your endurance up. The more miles you run, the faster you will get, so just concentrate on endurance for a while. Don't feel bad if it takes you 11 or 12 minutes to run a mile. At least you are out there! I promise you will find yourself getting faster.

Other tips:
    I usually don't run with headphones and don't recommend in high traffic areas, but sometimes music can really give you a boost and take your mind off of the misery. Or you could try listening to podcasts or audio books to take your mind off of your body. It is good to pay attention to how you feel, especially when you're training for a race. But I know how much running sucks at first, so maybe a little distraction isn't a bad ting.

Run with a friend! Running with a friend is great! They motivate you and take your mind off of the run by chatting. I like running with friends I don't see much outside of that activity, so then we have tons to talk about!

On the same note, try joining a running club or a training program through a local running store. These offer lots of support and camaraderie.

If after all this, you still hate it, maybe running isn't your thing. But give it a shot! I never did any exercise in my life until two years ago. I started with Couch to 5k, and a year later ran a half marathon, and now I'm training for a full marathon.