Help? Stroller Walking

Options
So during the day, for walks, I push 2 (30 and 35 pound) 3 year olds in a double stroller. So basically, with the weight of the stroller, I'm pushing at least 100 pounds.

My pace is generally a moderate pace (3mph). But when I search stroller walk in the exercises, it says I only burn 194 for pushing a stroller with a child for 30 minutes. But when I just plug in walk (moderate pace) for 30 minutes, I burn 257. That doesn't make sense as you definitely burn more calories by pushing a stroller. So what do I do? Enter a higher pace then I actually walked to account for the fact that I was pushing a stroller at a slower pace?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe you go slower with a stroller and thus would not cover as much ground as you would without one? So, the increase in distance might explain the increase in calorie expenditure..... ?
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe you go slower with a stroller and thus would not cover as much ground as you would without one? So, the increase in distance might explain the increase in calorie expenditure..... ?

Or are they both 3mph? you didn't specify the speed of the second one...
  • Jennifer_lynn85
    Options
    I hate relying on the workouts that are already in the logs, because they are always off! I suggest getting a heart rate monitor. Check crags list or even eBay for a refurbished one you can get them pretty cheap. I was surprised to know I was burning MORE than what MFP said I was. And pushing a stroller with just my 4 year old burns WAY more than not pushing one!!
  • acceber29
    acceber29 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah, mstefanis, I go the same pace with and without - I know you burn way more by pushing a stroller. The weird thing it says I burn more by walking at a slow pace by myself then by pushing a stroller, so I think it's way off. Thanks Jennifer, I just broke down and ordered a HRM ....This white polar ft40 from amazon. I had one before and loved it - I think this will be helpful!

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Ft40F-Womens-Heart-Monitor/dp/B004AH299O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1339167474&sr=1-1
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You'll love your hrm! I found with mine that I generally burn 6-7 calories a minute pushing my double stroller.
  • acceber29
    acceber29 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you! I had one maybe 8 years ago? No idea where it went, but I did remember being surprised by how much I actually burned and the range I needed to be in to actually burn fat. This will be good! But MFP should still fix that stroller calculation! :)
  • Jennifer_lynn85
    Options
    your going to love it!!!!!!!