HELP with my Sweet Tooth and Eating Properly

Options
Yesterday I decided to stop eating candy, juice, cakes, ect and start eating properly. Before work I brought fruit (oranges, cherries, and plums) to have instead if candy. I can go all day on candy without eating real and I want to stop because I feel like crap. The thing is I love oranges but sometimes it triggers a sugar attack. I think I did good I didn't have any sweets and the urge was strong because there were cupcakes and cake.
I've tried this before and I didn't last three days. How can I stay clear of this without giving in?

Now that I want to start eating properly, it's way more food than I usually eat. With everything I ate yesterday, i only consumed 980 calories, What can I do to add more calories?

I'm 5'2 174lbs my first goal is 150 and ultimate goal is 130-135. I have no specific time on when I want to reach this goal, I want to get my diet right first.

Replies

• sr4ca
    sr4ca Posts: 43
    Options
    need to open your diary so we can see what it is you are eating.
  • greatthursday
    Options
    I have a huuuuuuuuuge sweet tooth. Changing my lifestyle has definitely helped keep it under control, though. I eat a TON of fruit -- berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), at least a cup or two of grapes every day (these are excellent for sugary flavor without the calories), and I always try to get at least a small dessert in every night, be it frozen yogurt (some are only 120 or so calories / cup) or a cookie or a bit of chocolate.

To increase your calories per day and get you to goal, cook with real butter and oils (don't use margarine and other low-calorie substitutes!). This definitely adds a lot and helps flavor!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    How can I stay clear of this without giving in?

Honestly, you have to want it badly enough to overcome the cravings. I'd recommend avoiding artificial or zero-calorie sweeteners because until you control "sweet" the cravings will remain. I went through this early in my weight loss, it was hard, and I fell off the wagon a lot. But after I finally managed it for a few days and drank lots of water (probably more psychological than anything, but it helped) I found that the cravings just started subsiding all on their own.
    Now that I want to start eating properly, it's way more food than I usually eat. With everything I ate yesterday, i only consumed 980 calories, What can I do to add more calories?

Start tracking fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Focus as much on getting a balance of the three as you are on calories. Once you get your diet in balance, a healthy appetite for the foods you actually need should naturally come along for the ride. If your fats, carbs, proteins are in balance and you are short calories for the day, NEVER fill them with junk food just to meet your calorie goal. Use calorie-dense healthy foods like nuts and nut butters, lean meats, beans, and whole grains to fill the voids.

Give it a little time, your body will adapt to being properly fed.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If candy is that much a part of your life, you should try substituting with sugar free candy when the craving is bad. Keep a stash in your desk, and then use it when needed, and just a small amount. Maybe that will help? Other than that, we would need to see what you are eating to make suggestions.
  • GZero81
    GZero81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well, you definitely have the right idea. Avoiding sweets is all about finding alternatives... and willpower. It does get easier though.
    Avoid them long enough and you'll stop craving them. There are other great alternatives besides fruit, too, in case you want to mix things up. For example, when I get a sweet tooth, and I don't feel like having fruit, I grab a frozen Greek yogurt bar. They're pretty low on calories and high on protein, and they taste great. Many other healthy options are out there. Find them and keep them on hand to help fend off the cravings. Good luck!
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My new favorite 'sweet' treat...
    Take a gala apple.. core it and cut it up into little pieces. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it (sometimes I add a little splenda too) and pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes. If I'm really wanting to pump it up some I'll take 2 of my son's cinnamon animal cracker cookies and crush them over top.. then add 2 tsp of fat-free cool whip.
    YUM! Tastes just like apple pie!!!