Advice?

Options
Foxypoo61287
Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
I'm between a rock & a hard place. I have a car, that is in my ex's name. We are in the process of having the loan transferred into my name. They told me that I can either have a power of attorney approx 2 days, OR let him sign the title which can take up to 2 weeks. I don't know which I should do. Anyone have any idea which is better to do? We have a history of having a bad relationship. He has taken the car from my job just because he can. So, what is the best way to go with this?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Get the title transfer as fast as possible. Make nice if you have to.

DO NOT take over a loan until the transfer is complete! That's a nice way to set yourself up for losing a lot of money.
  • Memster1
    Memster1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm not a lawyer, but I WOULD NOT take over the loan until the TITLE is in your name.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    whichever you can have done quicker, go with that....but if someone pulled that on me, I'd sooner drop the application for transfer, go find another car, and stick him with the payment.....\m/
  • Foxypoo61287
    Options
    I'm not a lawyer, but I WOULD NOT take over the loan until the TITLE is in your name.

They won't transfer a loan. He has to send in a bill of sale. I applied for a loan through that company and got approved, Then as soon as the loan is dispersed from his name, then the title is in my name.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Options
    whichever you can have done quicker, go with that....but if someone pulled that on me, I'd sooner drop the application for transfer, go find another car, and stick him with the payment.....\m/

Can't afford to get another car. Don't have $$$ for a down payment.
  • Memster1
    Memster1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sorry!! I misread the original post. Yeah, then go with the method that affords the quickest turnaround so that the drama is over as soon as possible. That or move onto another car on your own.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

They won't transfer a loan. He has to send in a bill of sale. I applied for a loan through that company and got approved, Then as soon as the loan is dispersed from his name, then the title is in my name.

That sounds like a plan then. Just do it as quickly as you can.