Went to a bariatric surgery meeting last night

Options
124»

Replies

• fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Todd I saw this post after yours and I thought it might help you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/115485-1-year-later
  • todd6977
    todd6977 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    my BMI is 49.2

Hello,
    As it happens I'm doing a surgery rotation right now. The doctor responsible for teaching me not only performs bariatric surgery - he's had it himself.

He recommends bypass (the one he had) as the best option for satiety, weight loss and maintenance.

He REALLY does not recommend banding or any kind of restrictive surgeries as you will find ways around this and not be able to maintain.

If bypass is not an option, sleeve is his nr. 2 top bariatric surgery.

What is your BMI?

Be safe :) Don't let others judge you. If you need surgery for a better life, that's just how it is.
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    Just my two cents. I have health insurance through my university so I was in the process of getting bariatric surgery (for a very low cost) just this past October. I thought it would be great because I would have a smaller stomach and therefore have to watch what I eat less. How wrong I was. You keep more freedoms in your life by NOT getting the surgery. The surgery is meant to be a last resort- I don't know if you have any pre-existing conditions or your story (if I had health issues, I would have probably gotten it..)- but even still, the doctor makes you take a psych evaluation and lose 10-15% of your current weight before you can get the procedure done because it will be a huuuge, SUDDEN lifestyle change. I think it is EASIER to do weight loss the natural way because you can fail and change gradually, as slow as you want actually, and you can still eat a normal amount instead of half a cup of salad and be full.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    my BMI is 49.2

My BMI was 58.4 and now it is 32 and no surgery. I take it one day at a time and lost 168 pounds so far.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    my BMI is 49.2

My BMI was 58.4 and now it is 32 and no surgery. I take it one day at a time and lost 168 pounds so far.

yeah 49.2 isn't out of this world.

When I had my sleeve I was over bmi 93. Now I am bmi 69 and have decided to say no to any more surgery.

But everyone has a path to take. You will find your way.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Please note: these are only MY opinion and of which my wife may disagree with !!! But I feel that she and any other success story may be a bit biased as well. Also.. my wife did not go through what my kids or especially myself went through.

The risk is real. Consider your options carefully. You CAN be a statistic. You just have to weigh your options and risks and consider the consequences.

It is interesting to read your viewpoint and your advice. It sounds like your family went through an incredible ordeal.

But I have to add that, if we are going to talk statistics - the risks associated with having a BMI close to 50 are just as dangerous and a LOT more probable than the risks involved in a procedure. Especially now with laparoscopic techniques.

So yes, bad things happen, but if you wish to play by the odds... a BMI that high.... Just saying.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I once had a doctor tell me, when making a surgical choice, that if I didn't know the answer, I wasn't ready. If you are going to choose this surgery, you will have to be all in. The problem is, between now and being all in, you still have a high BMI. You can't stop doing this on your own right now, regardless of what you choose. Even if you choose the surgery, you aren't having it tomorrow. For many, the decision to have the surgery gives them all of the reason they need to continue to make poor choices. You can make good choices, lose a few pounds, get used to the idea of a healthy lifestyle, all as preparation for the surgery, IF you choose to have it. You can even make the appointment, book the O.R. and show up the morning of. You can still leave, even then. The point is, you can't continue doing things to your body. It has to stop now. If you can't stop, if you're using the surgery as the blanket ending to today's cupcake, you are not ready for the surgery, because you aren't ready to change your lifestyle.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Before surgery make sure you've given every effort and opportunity to weight loss without it. I was considering it bi honestly in my heart I knew I hadn't done my full effort to lose the weight on my own. I made the self commitment to lose the weight and never looked back. It wasn't easy or fun but I've never been prouder of an accomplishment inn my entire life. It can be done!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery over 6 years ago. I have been one of the lucky ones that have had no health issues with it. I did gain some back because as most of the other people said, it is a live style change. I didn't do that after loosing the weight. I have now decided on the the change and have now dropped the weight I gained back plus some. I still have several pounds to go. It's not a decision to make lightly. Research all the doctors in your area. I feel that I had the best in my area. Good luck with your decision.
  • terry_mtb
    terry_mtb Posts: 45
    Options
    You will have to still log your food and when this is done there will be some foods that you like that you will never eat again..the weight comes off at first, because you cant eat..but when you get better you get to where you can eat it all again, and you are back here..This is the honest truth..You will have to always take vitamins and never let your protein go down..in the beginning you nstart losing your hair..itwill come back..Honestly Todd..this is better..All I am telling you is fact. If you have any questions message me.
  • shanchamber
    Options
    As I'm sure your doctor told you, surgery is, empirically speaking, the best and maybe the only way to lose serious weight. Morbidly obese people who lose through more conventional methods generally gain it all back, and then a little extra. Which isn't to say that some surgery patients don't gain it all back--but it's much less likely, and a good deal harder.

I'm a big believer in evidence-based medicine, and for that reason alone, I'd recommend surgery. But individual mileage definitely does vary. Having it isn't the right decision for you if you can't accept the lifestyle changes that are going to be forced on you as a result. Not accepting those changes might mean that you die early and painfully--that's the genetic hand you've been dealt, unfortunately. But you have to think about the quality of your life, too. Maybe you're happier not accepting these lifestyle changes and accepting a shorter life as a result. I think this is a legitimate decision, if you decide to make it. It's not unlike a cancer patient deciding that instead of undergoing the physically and mentally damaging process of chemo, they're going to live whatever they have left without the pain of excessive intervention.

I had RNY on August 25, 2011. I was young (29) and healthy and had no pre-existing conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure to contend with, and I was very physically active in the five or so years before I had the surgery, so I think it was easier for me than it is for many people. I also had a relatively low BMI for people who get the surgery, so I wasn't asked to lose weight beforehand. The major side effect--and an unexpected one at that--was that I've had a lot of dental problems since. When I threw up, the acid stayed in my mouth and wore down my enamel. If I'd known to rinse with mouthwash after vomiting, I could have prevented this, but nobody really told me about it. Recovery time for me was about three weeks, although it took much longer than that to really feel like myself again. I've lost about 80 lbs. so far. I'm very happy that I did this, but I would urge you, if you're seriously considering it, to commit to all of the compliance that the doctors request of you. Take your vitamins, follow the protein rules, and go in for your follow-ups. That's how you'll succeed.
  • cmc6921
    cmc6921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have two relatives that had the original Gastric Bypass surgery, one of which has gained much of her weight back after about 6 years of being a size 6 from a size 24. Her mom has maintained the loss. She was also around a 24 when she had the surgery and she has had a lot of success with it, but it is HUGE dietary change forever! As is any bariatric surgery. A close friend had the sleeve surgery last year and has lost over 100 lbs thus far. For the first 6 months she was not allowed to eat red meat, and today, she still doesn't because she lost a taste for it. She still has about 100 to go and the thing about the sleeve, unlike gastric bypass is no dumping syndrome...big plus. IMO though, I like the lap band because it is adjustable and reversable, as well as almost no side effects. I am still determined not to take the surgery route although my BMI more than qualifies me... like everyone says though, research, talk to your doctor and do what is best for you.
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure your doctor told you, surgery is, empirically speaking, the best and maybe the only way to lose serious weight.

This is absolutely not true, and there are NUMEROUS people on this site that can back that up with personal evidence. You keep spewing this information with no real evidence to back it up. Yes, many people gain weight after they lose it, much like many people with the surgeries do. If you don't commit to the changes, you will gain it back regardless.

For some people, yes, maybe surgery is the only way out. As NIH states, bariatric surgery is intended for morbidly obese individuals that cannot lose weight any other way. Now, it's used as a quicker (I didn't say easier.. I know it's not easy) way, not the only way.

Some doctors will say whatever it takes to get the patient on the table.. same thing with the drugs-they make more money that way. Why tell someone to change their habits when they can get a kickback from the drug companies, right??

My opinion to the OP? Research, and find what's right for you. You can do this, either way!!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have the LapBand and had no complications. I lost 50 pounds and then stalled because I went back to eating too many carbs. MFP has gotten me back on track, and I've lost 13 more and have about 117 left to go. The band makes me less hungry and unable to binge. I can't gain my weight back, but that's not true for everyone. You're still going to have to diet and exercise, and it'll be slow with the band, but for me the hunger was my major stumbling block. It was overwhelming, and I knew I could never do it without some kind of help. Do your research and make an informed decision. It's surgery so inherently dangerous, but I knew I COULD NOT do it on my own. I'm in my 40s. If I hadn't done it in all those years, I wasn't going to without something changing.
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the RNY 10 years ago and lost 114 pounds I have gained back 20 which is why I'm doing MFP. One very imortant thing is that you HAVE to deal with your head as well- go to OA or someother place to learn to eat right and get some kind of handle on this or you will gain it back. I know because I've been where you are and I want you to succeed which ever you decide. By the way- no one that I know who has the band likes it.