Are there any geocachers out there?

Options
pukekolive
pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
I friended a geocacher recently on here and wondered if there are enough of us to form a group

For those of you who don't know what it is, there are applications on GPS units, Android phones and through the Itunes store.

Basically logbooks are hidden at GPS locations which you find, sign and then log on the www.geocaching.com website.

It's a great form of exercise that can be done in urban, country and mountain districts and you can make your trips as long or as short as you like. My partner, geocaching username psychrn, have found over 2600 since 2004.

We live in New Zealand

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I love Geocaching! I need to do it sometime this summer. Especially since its such free entertainment. And they are ALL OVER where I live. You can add me if you like.
  • Moana41
    Moana41 Posts: 35
    Options
    Hehe yes but haven't been out for a few weeks! Need to get back into it, real soon!
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think my kid and I are going to start geocatching here in a couple of weeks! I just found out about it at the library. Nice idea!
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    I love to go geocaching! I haven't been in years though. I need to get a group of my friends together and we can go again. Last time we went, a friend demonstrated that he could eat an entire apple. core and all. :sick:
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Started in 2004
    Not active anymore.
    Occasionally I will go to a meeting or event.
    I have the same name on GC.
  • rgm66
    rgm66 Posts: 33
    Options
    My family started geocaching about a year ago and we have even hid a few
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i saw this thread and immediately thought "YES YES YES IT'S SO MUCH FUN" lol
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of times and plan to start doing a lot more of it. Its a hoot! Plus I have a few hiding spots I would like to place some!
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    I started caching in 2003 and i'm still active. I also go to a couple of events a month. I will be going to the midwest geobash in ohio in july.
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I do from time to time. It's about the nerdiest thing I do but it's good daddy/daughter time.
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've found an existing group guys with 47 members! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/186-geocaching
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have been a geocacher in NZ since 2007, 231 finds (a bit sporadic over time). Have sent out a few geocoins that are circulating the world.
    Both my brothers (and their partners) and parents are geocachers.

We had a night bug racer competition for a year, around NZ - releasing 4 night racer geocoins at the same time then tracking how far they went in a year.

Awesome past-time to get you out and about in different places.

P.S I do my caching using a Garmin 60CSX, and also the android geocaching.com app on my phone.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I really like geocaching. I haven't done very many caches although there are tons around me. I have found that the ones that are in towns or along roads don't appeal much to me, but I LOVE the ones that take a hike to get to. I have tons of wonderful public land around me and like hiking and the geocaches give me a target to go for and have taken me to spots I'd not have known existed. And given me good ideas of places to go backpacking/camp spots. I have a lot more planned. In fact I started to go yesterday but was turned back by SNOW :sad: . My user name on geocache.com is the same as my username here.
  • Moana41
    Moana41 Posts: 35
    Options
    Went out for an hour or so with a friend caching, found 4. Would've been 5 but that one was too exposed to public so probably an early morning find I think. So cold tonight in Ashburton. Glad to be home in the warmth!
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    I cashe too. Family and I started last year. We go in spurts where we do for a few weeks, then get busy doing other things... lol. Thanks for bringing it up. Great way to get the family fitness level up! I'm in NY...
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing it for several years and love to spend a Saturday afternoon driving around town to find them. We have seen a lot of our little town and found a lot of little parks and niches that we didn't even know existed.

We are looking forward to summer (when the rain/snow stops in the mountains) so we can do all the hiking ones hidden on the trails in the hills not far from our house! :happy:
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been geocaching for about 2 years now. My mom and dad geocache as well. What a great way to get out and enjoy the fresh air!!
  • amymoore93
    Options
    I just started yesterday! Found my first cache! haha I plan to find alot more, such a great way to get out and about! :)
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yup. Haven't been in over a year though.
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love geocaching!! I've been doing it for a few years now and closing in on 1200 cache finds!! My geocaching name is bmxpop also.