My butt and behind my thighs! Help!!!

Options
Hi guys!
I joined Myfitnesspal about three weeks ago and have been counting calories very faithfully! Right now I am on schedule to eat 1200 calories a day. For about a month and half now I have also been working out faithfully. At first I was running about two miles a day. About two weeks ago I bumped it up to three miles a day, and this past week I have been running 4 miles every week day. I am slooooowly losing weight. When I came home from college the scale said 142, and the lowest I have seen it thus far is 134.6. However, it is coming off very slow and is discouraging. My initial goal is to lose the weight beneath my butt on the back of my thigh, and I'd like to tone my butt. I'm seeing it slowly come off my stomach, FACE, and my arms I think too. All my friends say my thigh butt area is looking smaller, but when I see me with my clothes off I disagree. :( As of right now, I am not working, so I have been sitting around a lot which I know isn't great. But that will change soon. I know running on incline/ stair stepping is good for the butt and that area, but I am still wondering if I am doing anything else wrong??? Or what can I do to get rid of, what I call, my "double butt"??? Please help! Thanks!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, first, given your weight, I would say losing a half a pound a week is an attainable goal (unless you're sub-5 foot mark?). It looks like you've lost 7 lbs. in 3 to 6 weeks? I couldn't quite tell from your time line. I think that's fantastic given your low weight.

As for the butt and behind your thighs...those are the EXACT areas that are killing me today. Thanks to squats. Evil, evil squats. Try some of those LOL.
  • stickwithme
    stickwithme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you've really lost 7.4 lb in just three weeks I'd say you are losing pretty fast, especially considering your weight. The recommended rate is 1 to 2 lb per week and you're over that.

As far as where you're losing fat from, you can't really make that happen by deciding it beforehand. It's typical for women to lose from those areas last, because nature/evolution has made them such efficient places to store fat.
    As you say, you can do specific exercises to tone up the muscle in those areas, then just wait for nature and your diet efforts to do the rest.
    HTH

By the way, it might be worth listening to your friends who see you all the time. They might be being honest!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats and more squats. Just when I thought my butt had irreversibly fallen, after several months of much squatting, it is in fact lifting. Little by little by little. Patience and endurance are key. But it will come.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    haha, thank you for your response. you are funny. i will have to try that!!!:smile:
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    this is my frustration: it doesn't seem i have lost 7 pounds. when i first joined myfitnesspal i put my weight as 138 cause that's what the scale said. THEN, i read somewhere to weigh yourself in the morning cause it is most accurate, so i have been doing that. one morning, i saw 134.4, but haven't seen it again since! throughtout the day i will see 135, 136, 137, and yes at times, 138, again. it's practically like i'm not losing at all. should i just stop weighing myself throughout the day since i'm going crazy???
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, if it's driving you crazy, stop weighing yourself constantly. You WILL gain weight throughout the day and you do weigh less in the am, after going to the bathroom and before eating.

I personally weigh myself constantly, but it doesn't drive me crazy. The only weight I record is Wednesday mornings. From the end of the day, to the next morning, my weight will go down 1 to 2 lbs. Occasionally more if it's been a high sodium day.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    squats....lunges.....I run also but mainly SQUATS!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Add strength training, the heavier the better. It did wonders for my thighs and butt, much more than running. And I'm twice your age.

butt-update-may.jpg

And, yes, stop weighing yourself so much if it makes you feel bad. Fluctuation is normal.

Set your goal to a half pound a week, eat your exercise calories, and track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit and photos. Especially photos.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Since you are already a fairly low weight it's going to be harder for you to lose than others. I'd recommend you add in strength training to really ramp up your routine and start toning that booty. You can start with body weight exercises- squats and lunges are especially good for the butt and thighs. If you have access to a gym or weights start squatting some weight and you'll really see results. Deadlifts are another great exercise to build your butt and that area just under your butt. If you aren't familiar with these exercises start here: http://stronglifts.com/weight-lifting-101-the-definitive-guide-to-weight-lifting/

Also like the other posters said don't worry so much about the number on the scale, instead focus on your your body looks and clothes fit.

Finally, women are predisposed to hold weight in our hips, butts and thighs, so that will be the last place you start to see a change. Just be patient, keep working hard and you will get there.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I hope you're kidding.... 8 pounds in 6 weeks? That is a RIDICULOUSLY great loss. :) This isn't going to be easy, it will take time. I suggest you lift heavy, eat at a SLIGHT caloric deficit, and stick at it! :)
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In addition to squats, try to bike INSTEAD of run a couple days a week. You can still get your cardio and you'll begin to build your glutes and leg muscles.

If you've never done squats before I HIGHLY recommend you get some sort of training before you start doing them. You can even injure your body doing squats without weights. I wouldn't recommend dead-lifts or cleans.

Also, stay away from any machines for leg workouts (especially those bars that run on the single vertical plane).
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There are a couple great videos that I'm pretty sure you can find on youtube. The Butt Bible is my favourite, and the lady is hilarious. The Brazilian Butt Lift is great too.