Eat Healthy; Get Fit; Lose 100+ New Group 10/28-11/1

Options
Hi. I had asked if there was a group for people needing to lose 100+ pounds and a couple of people told me if I started one, they would join. I hope that's true. LoL

What type of plan are you following? What type of exercise do you do?

I am working on making healthier choices and portion control. Let's face it, we all know the things we should be eating. It is just a matter of eating those and not the other stuff. I also would like to start walking daily and I am considering starting the Couch to 5k on Monday. Anyone interested in that?

Kim

Replies

• clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Does it count if we originally HAD 100+ pounds to lose? =) When I started MFP, I had about 140 pounds to lose, now I have about 55 pounds left.

As far as exercise goes, we got an elliptical at home, which I L-O-V-E, I run, and I do 'The Firm' DVD's. Between exercising (I try to do something every day if possible) and watching the food, the fat is melting away, little by little!
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    I'll totally join. I would love it if someone would keep me in check. I'm losing weight but not at the pace I'd like to be. If I really went for it I know I could lose a lot more.
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Welcome ladies!!!

fatty78---I think that is a great idea about the ticker set for when you will no longer be obese. I may have to borrow that idea if you don't mind. :tongue:

clheide---I would love to hear your story. I think you could be a great motivation to us. Please share when you have a moment.

Kim
  • nancymilo
    Options
    I would love to join too! I started with 162 pounds to lose, and have lost 14 so far. I still have a long journey ahead of me, but am ready to make this change. :happy:

I've stayed the same for the past two weeks, so I'm kicking up my exercise, being diligent about drinking water, and really watching my calories, sodium and protein. I'm not discouraged, just wondering what's going on with my body.
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    fatty78--i think you and I are totally going to have to challenge each other with the 30 day shred and I am definitely going to check out the running/walking link you posted on your blog..........and you posted in there that nobody reads it................I did!:tongue:
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Welcome Nancy!!!!
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    fatty78--i think you and I are totally going to have to challenge each other with the 30 day shred and I am definitely going to check out the running/walking link you posted on your blog..........and you posted in there that nobody reads it................I did!:tongue:

Ha. Yeah. My blog is a little out spoken and I have written in awhile.
    I'm totally up for challenges though I don't really have anywhere to do the 30 day shred anymore. I used to live downstairs in my townhouse but now that I live upstairs it would be very disturbing for my roommates to hear me jumping around. lol.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hey everyone, I am part of the over 200's group, but I would love to be apart of this group too. I think all the support and help we can give to each other is what will keep us going. Needing to lose over 100 pounds seems so hard, but when you are dealing with others who know what it feels like, it makes it that much easier.
  • clheide
    Options
    OK...so I've been on MFP for a while...I think I joined Jan 08. At my job, we do a 'biggest loser' type competition annually, and that's when I found this site. I lost some weight in 08, but sadly, gained it all back and then some (like I always have), so when I started this year in January again, I was heavier than I have ever been.

For some reason, I am just ready this time. I fully got on board with diet and exercise, and in the 8 weeks that we run the competition at work, I lost nearly 30 pounds. It really motivated me to keep going.

For exercise, I started going to a local hockey/ice skaing arena, where they have walking/running available for free during certain hours. I would go early every morning before waking the kids to power walk for a certain amount of time. I slowly started pushing myself to run. In the beginning, I honestly could barely run at all. I felt like I was accomplishing something if I could run one lap - 1/7 of a mile! I am a very goal-oriented person, so I started setting goals for myself, like "I'll run 2 laps at the end of my walking today", and built up to "I'll run 5 minutes, 6 minutes, etc".

I ran in my first ever 5K in June, at about 230 pounds and my one goal was to finish the whole thing with NO walking, which I did and was super excited about. Now, when I run (which I have been doing more often bc my elliptical is on the fritz), I run for a solid 30 minutes. I now have myself up to where I believe I am averaging an 11 minute mile for that time frame.

It helps me that my husband is on board too, so he helps keep me accountable. We bought our elliptical with income tax money this last year, bought a good scale that saves your weight, just recently bought a food scale (which has REALLY helped me, because I had a real warped concept of portion control).

Anyway, the point to my story is that if you stick to the food plan, and continue to set stretch goals for yourself with your fitness plan, you will continue to see results. And for me, the results (and the great feedback I get from those around me that can SEE the results) are what keeps me motivated to continue!
  • clheide
    Options
    Fatty78...I also think that's an awesome idea with the ticker! I wish I had thought of that when I was setting mine up originally. The big number seemed very overwhelming.

Almost there though...I have to be under 170 to not be obese anymore, and as of this morning, I'm 24 pounds away! 140 or less to not be overweight.

Also...what is the '30 day shred'???
  • willowbee4me
    willowbee4me Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello clheide,

I was wondering what type of food scale you use? Mine is older and weighs everything to the ounce only.

Thanks!
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I will join.. just started this site and have a long long road ahead of me!
  • Shelley130
    Options
    hi guys!

I'm doing basic eat healthier calories and light exercise. I have a membership at the YMCA and try to go 3x a week.

Last week I started South Beach and lost 6 pounds in a week. I ate carbs one day (granted a cheeseburger and cheese fries with ranch) and gained 5 back :noway: So I have decided to go back to just counting calories. I need my "free" days and can't gain 5 lbs just because I ate a carb!!

So 100 pounds is the goal. From 248 ~ 148 hopefully in one year.

I tried couch to 5k in Aug but couldn't keep up. I'm gonna try again next week. Maybe the 20lbs made a difference in my stamina.
  • Shelley130
    Options
    oh yeah,

What day do you want to do weigh in?

I currently do Wed and am willing to change.
  • clheide
    Options
    Hello clheide,

I was wondering what type of food scale you use? Mine is older and weighs everything to the ounce only.

Thanks!

I actually just bought one at walmart...my only criteria was that it needed to be digital. i think it cost 20 or 30. you can get ounces, pounds, and grams on it. not sure of the name brand. there were really only 2 digitals to pick from, one that was basic and one that had lots of buttons on it, we just went for the most basic thing we could find! =)
  • clheide
    Options
    oh yeah,

What day do you want to do weigh in?

I currently do Wed and am willing to change.

I currently weigh in on Wednesday mornings also.
  • ChefJeremyC
    Options
    I will totally join. I need too lose anthor 200lbs until I decide to lose more so Im in.
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Here is the link to the 30 day shred
    http://www.collagevideo.com/item.aspx?item=7963

Here is the link to the Couch to 5K
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Here is the link to the the other running/walk plan
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/run-walk-program?page=1

If any of you are interested in starting any of the above, let me know.

ChefJeremyC---Way to go!!!! Please share your story with us.

I typically weigh in on Mondays, but I will go with whatever the majority wants to do. Everybody post your preference and then we can decide later this week or the weekend. Sound good?

Kim
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    I know the college group I'm in weighs in on Fridays.

Personally I weigh myself everyday just to get a guide. I only record the weight once a week though.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I'll join. I NEED to lose about 120 more pounds, but I'm just taking it pound by pound and setting mini goals along the way. I'm following a pretty basic low cal diet and seeing a dietician.