What age can you lify weights

Options
My daughter is 12 and wants to start lifting weights with me, is she too young still?

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit wary about lifting at such a young age. Putting excessive stress on a growing body can't be good for you. Plus, is there any need for a 12 year old to lift weights?
  • WenonaY
    WenonaY Posts: 203
    Options
    I know that boys start at 12 in scool.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest such intense exercise at her age or until she has hit puberty. If she gets to too low of a body fat percentage it may delay her developement. I'd say she should do some sort of sport or physical activity which uses body weight. :)

(I'm not sure if there is any REAL reprocution of it... just speaking from experience as I was a competitive gymnast when I was about her age. This delayed my period, breast developement, and hormones)
  • TheDoctor90
    Options
    I know that boys start at 12 in scool.

I wouldn't recommend either boys/girls starting at that age. Why not just regular sport?
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was lifting weights at 12 but I also had a personal trainer (been in the weight battle a long time.) I think as long as you keep the weights light (2-3 lbs) and make sure they are doing the exercises correctly so they don't hurt themselves, you should be ok. Also, stick to a time limit (10 minutes?) so they don't over do it.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yeah I also wouldn't recommend it until she is more fully grown. At least for heavy lifting. If she wants to build more muscle, maybe start with some body weight exercises????
  • gabek42
    gabek42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A quick google search turned this info up: http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/staying_fit/strength_training.html

TL;DR - if they're old enough for organized sports, they're old enough for weights. Talk to someone with some expertise, I'd start with the school gym teacher. Good luck and good form to all of you!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Some gyms will start at 16, some 18 and some at 13. Maybe all she really wants is to get toned. I wouldn't worry about it hurting her unless she plans on lifting extremely heavy ( which I am doubting). If she really wants to pursue what about teaching the benefits of using her own body as resistence such as squats, push-ups, tricep dips. She can always use 5 pound weights. It is unlikely to damage her and it might just be a phase and she will get bored of it
  • TheDoctor90
    Options
    A quick google search turned this info up: http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/staying_fit/strength_training.html

TL;DR - if they're old enough for organized sports, they're old enough for weights. Talk to someone with some expertise, I'd start with the school gym teacher. Good luck and good form to all of you!

Hardly the same thing. Sport doesn't push the body as much as lifting heavy does - and I mean that as your average game of Saturday morning football, not training to be a professional.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Let her start with something like Jillian Michaels and light weights, and then see if she enjoys it...My girls both did JM at that age, but are older now and not interested in lifting heavy with mom at all! They get great results and stay in shape with JM and basic resistance stuff liek push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and burpees and so on....
  • gabek42
    gabek42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't say HEAVY lifting - and yes, emphasis should be placed on STRENGTH training over power-type lifting. Weights don't have to be big and heavy. I should have been more explicit. From the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/HQ01010
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Light weights for now will be good for her. Heavy lifting are a few years away.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    is she wanting to do this because she sees you doing it?... if so then just give her something small... i know kids like to copy what the older people are doing so just give her some small weights and let her have fun. but i wouldnt encourage her to lift heavy at this young age.
  • Syphur74
    Syphur74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at 13 in school.
  • WenonaY
    WenonaY Posts: 203
    Options
    She really dont need to tone or lose she just wants to work out with me so maybe I will have her do 3 pound weights and even talk to her doctor. I just know in their school they can start weight lifting class at age 12 for boys not sure about girls. In her gym class her gym teacher had her lifting 15 pounds. I dont want to mess her body up in anyway so just wanted some advice. Thanks everyone for great advice.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    12 is probably too young. My son is 12 almost 13 and runs xc and cross country on a high school team. They are in the middle of summer conditioning and start each workout in the weight room. Because of his age, the coaches don't let him lift but he does other strength training like squats and lunges and core work. Check with your doctor just to be sure.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 12 and wants to start lifting weights with me, is she too young still?

No. You basically need to avoid heavy weights lifted to maximum exertion and heavy overhead lifts--those are the "official" guidelines.

At her age the emphasis should be on learning form and using her body as resistance.

In my experience, most kids that age think exercise and lifting weights is fun -- until they actually do it. Then they realize what they really wanted to do was play, not work out.

Either way, with lighter weights and basic exercises, she is unlikely to experience any injuries or physical issues. And she might increase her strength and self-esteem.