Losing weight, gaining a new figure.

Options
Hello. I'm new here and not only wanted to become a part of the messaging community, but I also wanted the advice of others.

I'm trying to get rid of the fat around my stomach and thighs. I'm not sure what exercises would be best for that goal though. I know sit ups work well for the stomach, but what else? Would biking help with my thighs?

When it comes to a new figure, I'm trying to compliment my curves. I like them, a lot. So, I'm aiming to get to a figure where my stomach's flat, but my butt is not. Sounds funny, I know, but does anyone have any advice for that? What should I eat? I know I'm going to have to do squats, but what else?

Thanks for reading and helping, feel free to add me.

Replies

• eag717
    eag717 Posts: 3
    Options
    Losing the fat in general will help - crunches alone will not sculpt your tummy! I love Jillian Michael's 30Day Shred dvd for all-over toning and shaping.

My butt is super cute and i am fairly certain it is from her mix of lunges and squats and cardio. I also do a fairly long bike ride every Sunday during the warm months and this Sunday was the first time in a long time - I felt it all through my butt and backs of my thighs.

The weirdest thing about my dieting is that I first see fat loss in my wrists and inner elbows! My body sure is strange!

Welcome to the journey!
  • ChangingCoco
    Options
    I'll look into her shred video, I've heard lots of great things about it. Thanks for the tips!
  • eag717
    Options
    You're welcome! And if you get the 30 day shred, don't feel as though you have to do workout 1 day after day! I find that it leaves me pretty sore for 1-2 days and then I pick it up again.

Have you just started the weigh loss process? How much do you have to lose or is it less about pounds and more about inches?
  • ChangingCoco
    Options
    I think i'll follow that tip, ha!

Yes, I started about two years ago. I've lost over 30 pounds, and I ended up stopping my weight loss journey. It used to be about pounds, now it's just about shape. I'll stop when I can stand in front of a mirror naked, and smile.
  • eag717
    Options
    Ahhh mirrors! and Cameras! I can smile at myself if I hold my reflection just so . . . but a surprise angle or a picture still has me wincing.

Do you have a tape measure? Getting a baseline of where your waist, hips, and thighs start can be very fun to measure your progress.

I'm still on the pounds wagon - I have no idea what my ideal weight is (it certainly isn't the 109 that BMI calculators suggest) but I know that I'll be better able to see what is reasonable for my frame after 20 more lbs lost. I also measure arm, waist, hips, and thigh because there are weeks that I feel slimmer but see nothing moving on the scale.

Also, I read an article about crunches and it said that bicycle crunches are the most effective use of time for increasing ab strength and shape!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting!

This, the heavier the better and focus on compound lifts, avoid the machines.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    While weight lifting and crunches help ... the only way I've ever found that helps lose the wasit is doing speed intervals everyday for 30 minutes.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting!

This, the heavier the better and focus on compound lifts, avoid the machines.

+1

Squats
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    Options
    I cycle regularly and it's helped to slim down my thighs and build definition. Squats, lunges and deadlifts are all great for your butt.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. You just have to lower your body fat % with a mix of cardio and strength training. You can't really choose what type of figure you have under the fat.... You can do squats and leg lifts and such to strength your butt muscles to give it more shape but you cannot create hips/waist if you aren't born with it... I was "curvy" when I was heavier but now I have pretty slim hips. I still have a waist, but it's not as dramatic as it used to be. I'm cool with it. It's cool to see what my body is suppose to look like, and I am happy being the fit version of me :)
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I second the 30 day shred advice, it really got me started re-shaping my body. Now I alternate cardio days with strength training days (squats and lunges with weights do wonders for the butt and thighs) and I am very happy with the results. Not losing weight but losing inches and toning/firming.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love my Zumba. It has carved my waistline without taking away my bootie and toned my thighs and calves in a way I haven't seen since high school. You burn 600-800 calories each time. Go several times to the zumba class. It takes a bit to catch on to the choreography but as you get better at the dances you burn more.

Weights are great for toning. Weights dont burn as many calories but lean muscles is burns calories better which heavy lifting will help with. The book New Rules of Lifting for Women is excellent. there are several groups on here that support it.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    For me, HIIT (sprint interval style training) and heavy weight lifting, seems to be the best for my body. For females, in general, it seems lower body fat is the last to go :-( For me, diet and clean eating seem to be the only remedy. Good luck. Fell free to add me for support!!
  • AlabasterJar68
    Options
    Thank you OP for starting this thread. I carry most of my weight in the abdomen and I do embrace my curves as well and don't want to lose what I like most but would love to lose the fat I am carrying around my belly. I have a long ways to go to reach my weight loss goals and right now I am walking leisurely because that is all I am able to do right now. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions that you posted as well. :happy:
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Squats and more squats...lunges, weighted crunches and weight lifting
  • ChangingCoco
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you all!!
    Good luck on your journeys!