Shin Splints

Options
Help!

does anyone know of any good remedies or has some advice as to how to take care of my shin splints? I ice after every run, and stretch, but I've been pushing my self pretty hard lately and today it hurt so bad I was In tears. I know they never go away, but if any runners have some tricks of the trade please fill me in!!

Thank you! Thank you!

Replies

• smorealloyquik9
    smorealloyquik9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know you probably won't like this answer, but the only thing that worked for me was stopping impact type exercise till the shin splints went away, and starting up again, adding 10% to my mileage each week. I iced every night, using water frozen in a Dixie cup. The C25k plan works well for starting a running plan.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    They will go away. Slow down your pace and decrease your mileage. Your bones and joints need time to adjust to the impact. You may not be able to go as far as your cardio fitness allows at first.

After 3 years of running I rarely get shin splints unless I do something very out of the ordinary with my runs.

Do NOT run on pain meds (advil, etc.), you'll hurt yourself worse because you won't be able to feel the damage while you're doing it.
  • smorealloyquik9
    smorealloyquik9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also, keep the ice on, rubbing up and down the shin for 10 min on, 10 min off, and repeat. Don't want to get freezer burn ;). I hope you heal quickly!

I'm new here as well, so any time you need some support, let me know!

Shannon
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's a great topic on Help With Your Shin Splints here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints Hope you feel better soon!
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! and thank you Amy that like helps a lot!