Starting over. Can't seem to keep my motivation.

Kandi150
Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
So I've been trying to get in shape for, oh, about 5 years.... lol With no progress. Between bad relationships and a terrible diet I just can't seem to change my habbits. So now that I have dropped the bad relationships I'm trying to work on the diet. I was doing good with my excercise routine but now I've just lost all motivation... I'll work out maybe once a week now and beat myself up about it. How do you all stay motivated?
Also feel free to add me, I think having some more "friends" keeping an eye on my progress might give me that extra little boost.

Replies

• We all need a little help in the motivation department at times. I'm in the same boat as far as starting and stopping my health regime goes.
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Hi! I'm starting over as well. I gained enough weight back to be within 10 pounds of my highest weight ever and I'm definitely looking for more support! Feel free to add me!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    I've been trying to work out off and on since October 2011 and keep losing my motivation. My motivation was always my wedding but it always seemed so far away and like I had plenty of time. Now it's 2 months away and I don't think I'm going to get to where I want to be by then but at least it's a start.

My other motivation is that my fiance and I are going to start running together tomorrow. If he can do it, I can do it.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Welcome to MFP. Bad relationships was my problem also. I found being Single helps alot with staying with a diet and keeping goals. If I can do it then you can do better then me no problem.
  • Santa14
    Santa14 Posts: 14
    I think discipline is a key aspect, I just started and no matter how sore i feel in the morning i just look to what i can expect in the future and the good consequences that will come with it. I also maybe working out more than once can help keep on track? I jogg/walk 2-3 miles a day, that way missing one day doesn't become missing a whole week. Head up just keep striving until the end, imagine the good things in the future! Also for more exercise tips i would recommend buying this book http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Force-Physical-Fitness-Combat/dp/0978575334 its not just about military my friend let me see it and it looks really helpful. Good Luck!!!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    I'm really lucky that my husband & I are both doing this together. So on the days when I just want to crawl in bed with something delicious and bad for me he gets me moving (and vice versa).
    Is there someone who can be your "workout buddy" that you meet at the gym or a park. Then you have a set date and time and would be more inclined to keep it so you don't stand your friend up.
    Good luck!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Welcome to MFP. Bad relationships was my problem also. I found being Single helps alot with staying with a diet and keeping goals. If I can do it then you can do better then me no problem.

^^^ what he said....it seems at least for me you can only drive one set of goals at a time. So that means for me I need to stay single and focus on my weight loss goals and then work on my social life. I found that when I was "dating" I was gaining weight left and right mainly becuase of my dating choices...I generally take a lady out to a nice dinner and drinks and as you know meals out on top of drinks adds up the calorie count fast. Unless you can find a "dating partner" who shares your fitness goals you just cant drive both at once.

As for motivation..add me..I find that posting here helps keep my motivation up. When I am feeling unmotivated I come post motivaiton comments to others and it seems they return the favor and it keeps ya going.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Motivation is a big one, cause in our case of weight loss and fitness, we have to motivate OURSELVES. Sharing from a good article I read 3 things cause us to lose motivation:
    1) Lack of Confidence
    2) Lack of Focus
    3) Lack of Direction

How to boost these areas:

1) When you TRULY BELIEVE you deserve success, your mind will generate ways to achieve it
    2) Focus your mind on Positive Goals (Fitness & Weight Loss)
    3) Develop direction. The three motivation killers are: Low Energy, bad luck, and occasional failure...the last is enough to cause us to do NOTHING (loss of motivation) However, if we can keep our minds discipline with SUPPORT (MFP), and keep moving forward we will propel ourselves to success.

Thanks for the opportunity to write this. I am on my way to the gym before going to help my daughter prepare for my grandson's 2nd Birthday party on Sunday.

GOOD LUCK :drinker: (lifting my water to your success)
    Debbie