HCG without the diet

Options
moejo3
moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
It was suggested to me to get the HCG injection or pills to aid in my weightloss. However, I would not need to follow the 500 calorie diet because it is too restrictive and 30 pounds in 30 days is not realistic for me. I was told basically no grains, no beans, no dairy, no soda or fruit juice or dried fruit and use MCT oil for everything. He said this would help move the fat that is the most stubborn and it will help me to keep it off. I just wanted to know if anyone else has done something like this. I am not planning on doing this but, just wanted to get some feedback.

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your weight loss, but the HCG diet has done nothing but HARM to people I know that used it.

The only reason people lose weight on that plan is you are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. HCG has been scientifically proven to do NOTHING to help with weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day. It will not protect muscle, reset your metabolism or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that sell it claim. Dr. Simeons was a quack doctor. His "HCG protocol" has absolutely NO scientific backing and is not worth risking your health on.

Any doctor that pushes the HCG diet plan should be stripped of their license to practice medicine because they are being totally unethical and giving advice that goes against the conclusions of all reliable scientific research on the subject.

The HCG diet has been studied by many scientific organizations, and they all concluded that HCG, even the "real" injectable version, is no more effective than a placebo, and eating only 500 calories a day for weeks, as recommended by that plan, can cause more health problems than it solves.

I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. Then they regained more weight than they lost. Now they wish they never heard of HCG.

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If your weight loos ticker is current, it shows that you only have 24 more pounds to lose. That's not a lot at all! HCG doesn't work. The only reason people lose pounds while doing it is because of the extreme diet. Since you will not be consuming 500 calories, there is no point it taking it. Really, there is never a point in taking it at all though IMO.

I think you should tell the person that you are not interested, since you've already had success in losing weight without the HCG.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    The HCG does nothing to make you lose weight. People lose weight on it because of how low their calories are.

Is it your doctor that told you that you should do it?

If so, I would suggest you get up, run out of the office and find another Doctor.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Also, injecting any kind of hormone, including HCG, can cause health issues and mess up the balance of your other hormones.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I was told basically no grains, no beans, no dairy, no soda or fruit juice or dried fruit and use MCT oil for everything.

So basically a low carb diet... Sounds like Paleo diet to me. And no, I'm not bashing that diet, but HCG doesn't seem effective without the 500 calorie restriction.
  • aba160
    aba160 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole "point" of the HCG was that you COULD eat 500 calories and not feel deprived, not that the actual injection speeds up weight loss?

And even that, is full of shet and unhealthy. I'm no doctor but I would run the other direction is a doctor told me to do this.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I thought the whole "point" of the HCG was that you COULD eat 500 calories and not feel deprived, not that the actual injection speeds up weight loss?

And even that, is full of shet and unhealthy. I'm no doctor but I would run the other direction is a doctor told me to do this.

Yeah... HCG doesn't make you lose weight per se, it makes you not feel hungry. It worked for me (and the diet) and I lifted weights the whole time to ensure that I wasn't losing muscle mass. VLCD work for some people and I seem to be one of them... at least this is doctor supervised, as opposed to my previous VLCD which was basically an ED.

That said, I would never recommend a VLCD of any kind unless your doctor is aware and involved. And by doctor, I mean ND or MD (or NP or PA). Chiropractor's should encourage healthy behavior, but this isn't their specialty IMO.

And people, just cause the internets say never to eat below your BMR, etc-- when it involves someone who has significant years of schooling, is reviewing your charts and your bloodwork, and has been working with you on your health goals-- trust them. The interwebs are no substitute for your own doctor. You can always get a second opinion from another qualified MD.
  • kimkim1123
    kimkim1123 Posts: 20
    Options
    The government agency studies are biased, as they are for most things... not a source I trust at all.

HCG does help you lose weight... but are you prepared to take HCG injections for the rest of your life?

HCG boosts thyroid and there is a doctor in AZ that is using it to treat thyroid resistance. I learned this after researching regarding my own thyroid resistance... thyroid resistance is where the thyroid medication does not work properly, or you have uneven saturation of thyroid hormone in your body tissues.

Anyhow, I did HCG for a short time and felt wonderful. As soon as I stopped the HCG my thyroid crashed. It is not something I can afford to do on a continual basis and any long term side effects are unknown.

The HCG diet is working for some, but not all. The 500 calories a day limit is pretty brutal, even with the legit injections.

Kim
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, HCG does ABSOLUELY NOTHING for you!

While some people can survive on the extremely low calorie diet , it makes most people so weak and ill that they can't even stay on it for a week.

NUMEROUS scientific studies have concluded that HCG is worthless as a weight loss aid -- and they weren't all run by the government! The so-called "doctor" that came up with the HCG diet theory was a quack! Science has NEVER accepted his HCG diet theory.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Anyone will lose weight initially on a 500kcal a day diet. Just wait for the rebound.

Diet pills do not work, why are there do many people overweight if they do?

Save your money and buy healthy food, that works wonders.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.