p90x

Options

Replies

• joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nonsense on not preserving LBM. I lost 33 lbs and preserved muscle. Pic is blurry but you can see I'm not scrawny.
    116.jpg
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Will you see results with p90x? Yes, particularly early on.
    Will it be the most efficient way to see results? No.
    Is it an ideal program for sparing muscle mass and losing fat in a deficit? No, you'll work your *kitten* off for sub-optimal results.

I hate to call anyone out but this is the exact opposite of the truth. First, you won't see great results early on. The program is designed where you will see the greatest improvements in the last phase. Second, it is by far one of the most efficient ways to get in shape. No time spent traveling to the gym, you work all of your muscles, and you get it all in 90 days! Third, P90X will help you build muscle mass which in return you lose fat. A lot of diets out there have you burning all of your muscle to get "lose weight" but we all know that isn't healthy and it leads to gaining it back because you aren't happy with how you look. I don't know if you have ever done P90X but if you haven't, please don't post false information. Thanks!
    I'm very familiar with the program. I wouldn't have commented on it if I was not. I'm all for programs that force people to get up and be active, and yes there are relatively worse programs one can do.
    With that being said, I stand by what I said. P90x lacks the high tension muscle stimulus required to preserve LBM in a deficit. This is not as big of a deal for someone significantly overfat, but the OP looks relatively lean. Your post is full of mistaken assumptions and generalizations which are not always true.

You said, "P90x lacks the high tension muscle stimulus required to preserve LBM in a deficit." Have you not seen the results??? I have gone from well over 20% body fat to 10% body fat currently (and should be down to 8% by the end of this round). If P90X lacks the high tension muscle stimulus then how did that happen for me? I was not trying to assume anything in my post, but this kind of information is just wrong haha. I have gone from a keg to a six pack :) P90X rocks but you are entitled to your opinion.

This guy is obviously somebody with a bodybuilder mentality, apparently without the body. Just keep doing curls and stick with other isolated muscle exercises. You'll see great results, right?
  • luvnlife6
    luvnlife6 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did P90X last summer and saw little results. However, I did not follow the diet plan. I logged my meals here on myfitnesspal. I did notice I appeared leaner but weight more. SInce then my weight is varying between 1 to 3 pounds. I think I'm going to try P90X again with some modifications. My shoulders were way too bulky. I love how lean my legs were. I found that I lost more weight doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred. I also start doing Zumba which it really help trim my waist. Now I'm trying train like a contender. I notice some results from there as well. I guess you have to find what works best for your body. I'm sure eating right has more to do with my results. I tend to overeat on the weekends.
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did P90X last summer and saw little results. However, I did not follow the diet plan. I logged my meals here on myfitnesspal. I did notice I appeared leaner but weight more. SInce then my weight is varying between 1 to 3 pounds. I think I'm going to try P90X again with some modifications. My shoulders were way too bulky. I love how lean my legs were. I found that I lost more weight doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred. I also start doing Zumba which it really help trim my waist. Now I'm trying train like a contender. I notice some results from there as well. I guess you have to find what works best for your body. I'm sure eating right has more to do with my results. I tend to overeat on the weekends.

You can't out work a poor diet no matter the progarm. Eating the proper macros is a majority of the puzzle.
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options

You can't out work a poor diet no matter the progarm. Eating the proper macros is a majority of the puzzle.

Agreed...80% of looking good comes from hard work in the kitchen not from working out.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I started it this week, it's good so far :)
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    I chose to start it, and love it so far!! Thank you all for your input!

You freakin' GO, girl! You will get excellent results if you work hard at it. Good luck!
  • siecoleman
    siecoleman Posts: 18
    Options
    Beer gut...bubble butt...looks like we all have problem areas!! I finished my first week and while I haven't stuck to the diet to the best of my abilities it has been working great and I love the variety of exercises and the fact that I can feel every muscle being worked. Most of which, I might add, I didn't even know I had.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Beer gut...bubble butt...looks like we all have problem areas!! I finished my first week and while I haven't stuck to the diet to the best of my abilities it has been working great and I love the variety of exercises and the fact that I can feel every muscle being worked. Most of which, I might add, I didn't even know I had.

Good for you! I did one full round and although I didn't follow the diet plan or give up drinking during it, I had great results. It probably would have been better had I did the proper diet and gave up alcohol but I wasn't going to deprive myself of some of the pleasures in life. :drinker:
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I would definitely recommened doing P90X! I have been doing it for three months (this is my final week) and I have lost a little over 30 pounds. I feel more energized and I can do so many exercises I could not do before. I have also lost many inches (I do not know my exact measurements but I can tell because of the fact that I wear smaller clothing sizes now). Good luck :)
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Nice job finishing up week 1!!

I just finished week 2 of my 2nd round. I lost a total of 30 lbs in the first round and have last another 3 so far this round - diet was a little off due to travel this week.

For those just getting started, the beachbody site has some great 'team threads' that really help with motivation. You may want to check them out.

Best of luck to everyone, regardless of how you get there!

Scott
  • siecoleman
    siecoleman Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow, fantastic job everyone! I'm very impressed. I also started doing spin classes a couple days a week for an additional workout and it's truly amazing what doing well for your body can do for your mind and energy. Lost 4 pounds already just from busting my *kitten* and giving up foods that pollute my body. Keep it up everyone!! :happy:

@CanukFit, I know the feeling! I work at a sushi bar and hot sake is my vice. I used to drink a small one after every weekend shift. I lowered my intake to not even half of one, but it's still sometimes good not to deprive yourself of the better things in life :tongue:
  • migeru
    migeru Posts: 1
    Options
    I've decided to start with P90X!!!! My first one was yesterday and now I'm having trouble typing b/c of how sore I am....
    How are you guys tracking your workouts in MFP?
    I'm looking forward to the journey and see results at the end of the 90 days
  • volley623
    volley623 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm actually starting P90X tonight after doing the fitness test last night - that in and of itself was tough!

Going to use myfitnesspal to track what I eat, although I'm not to *strictly* follow the diet plan, just trying to keep the right balance of protein/carbs/fat and not eat too many calories.

Hope Day 1 goes well...
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second round of P90X. I love the program! The first time I did it, I didn't follow the proper nutrition. I did get stronger and gained some muscle, but you couldn't see it because I didn't shed body fat.

The second round, I followed the plan exactly, had a Beachbody coach that I reported to weekly for advice and tips, and gave up caffeine and alcohol. I did it the right way, to see if it made a difference. It did.

I lost 3 pounds in total on the scale but that's not where the you will see the changes. I lost 9.9 pounds of body fat, gained 6.9 pounds of muscle, lost 6.17% body fat and 9 inches overall.
    I wish I would have followed it the right way for the first round. I worked hard for 90 days and didn't get the results I wanted.

I say if you are going to commit to it, commit to the whole thing. 80% is diet, no matter what you do.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The second round, I followed the plan exactly, had a Beachbody coach that I reported to weekly for advice and tips, and gave up caffeine and alcohol. I did it the right way, to see if it made a difference. It did.

Do you think giving up caffeine was beneficial? How did it help you? That's one vice that I'm not sure I'm ready to part with. I need a cup after waking up and another prior to working out.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Do you think giving up caffeine was beneficial? How did it help you? That's one vice that I'm not sure I'm ready to part with. I need a cup after waking up and another prior to working out.

I really only drank one cup in the morning so I didn't feel I missed it. It was more the habit of drinking it on the way to work, which I soon replaced with a protein shake. My issue wasn't breaking the caffeine, it was more sugar and bad carbs.

I think the whole issue is to find that high naturally without screwing up your levels, or something like that. Here is a blog on it...

http://tonyhorton.blogspot.ca/2010/06/alcohol-caffeine.html

I say, if you can't go without it, giving up all the other crap and eating the way he says, and ditching alcohol for 90 days will still get you to the point of success. I gave it up because I wanted to do the whole thing the right way. I didn't miss it after 3 days and slept a whole lot better than I have been this last week now that I'm drinking it again. I think I may limit it back to weekends only.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I was mostly a Cardio person too but am looking to get toned now. I started P90X weight workouts only right now due to a knee injury from Insanity but plan on doing the whole program once I get clearance from PT. In the few workouts I have done I can already see a difference!! Can't wait to be able to do the whole program :)
  • Zkinkel
    Zkinkel Posts: 13
    Options
    9 90x is a great workout! I have done them and I like it a lot... I will say that if you like boot camp style workouts I LOVE insanity, worth every penny to me
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I dont' know how someone can dis P90X. Probably doesn't really understand how the body works. That's OK. There's ton of proof that it does.