Need to improve my diet

Options
Soooo anyways...I have been working out like a crackhead lately (lol). For about 6 months anyway. And Im doin lots of cardio and strenght training. I would probably have a bod like a super model if only I could get my eating habbits right. Usually i eat perfect up till around 7 pm. Then I find myfelf over eating! Like yesterday i ate perfect, lots of veggies, fruit, protein, I worked out, lots of water. I stayed close to my calorie limit (1500 calories) then my husband come home with Hostess donuts. I tried to stay away, but I ate 3! I felt like crap afterwards. It put me over my calories, and way over my fat. This happens ofter, maybe not with donuts, but maybe with other food. UGH its just so fustrating! why do I do this to myself! I want to stop and i keep telling myself that i will and never do!
Also does anyone know why If I dont eat before bed I have a hard time falling asleep? Its like I dont feel comfortable. On days that I dont eat before bed, I have to take a Xanax that my DR. prescribed me just to chill out and be able to fall asleep.
ANY ADVICE?
Also ladies...I think I have PMDD, and my mood starts to change about 2 weeks before my period. I know theres forms of birth control you can take to help relieve it, but bc pills and my body do not get along. Any ways i get like a depressed feeling and eat like crap. ANY ADVICE?

Replies

• fluffy21
    Options
    hey girl! ok I totally know where you are coming from
    I always do great up until like 7 or 8 then blow away the whole day

lately I have been saving 100 calories every day so that if I do get hungry I can just pop a bag of 100 cal popcorn, or have an apple or something this is also something you could do just so you can eat something before bed

Also after 7 I have beeen "locking" myself out of the kitchen.. I live in an apartment with a few other girls and I try to just stay on my wing of the apartment or in my room... so I am not even tempted with food, and for me if I am ridiculously tempted I just go to bed (but that would be hard if I couldn't sleep without eating first)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I stayed close to my calorie limit (1500 calories) then my husband come home with Hostess donuts. I tried to stay away, but I ate 3! I felt like crap afterwards. It put me over my calories, and way over my fat. This happens ofter, maybe not with donuts, but maybe with other food. UGH its just so fustrating! why do I do this to myself! I want to stop and i keep telling myself that i will and never do!
    Great job in working out with lots of Cardio!:flowerforyou:
    But the crap he brings home. That's gotta stop!! Your husband is not being supportive at all.
    Does he want you to gain weight? Does he know what you've been doing for last 6 months?
    Yes you can tell yourself not to do it, but when the temptation is there often, it's not going to be easy.

Everyone else will chime in about this. He doesn't need to bring that crap home. If he's going to eat it, tell him to eat it before he gets home.

Sorry no advice for the sleep and....:laugh:
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks I look like a supermodel already (at least thats what he says ...lol:laugh: ) But how can I tell him he cant bring his treats into his own home? I want to be able to look a donut straight in the face and say NO! I dont want my husband to feel like he has to be responsable for what i stuff into my mouth. But i do see where your coming from. Maybe if i just left the room until he is done.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for later in the day. I save around 500 for after 7 pm. That means your choices for earlier in the day must be good. I dare saying eating a yogurt with walnuts or a serving of protein is probably better than taking the xanax on your body biochemically.

These screw ups with your eating can help you become more self controlled- that is for me at least. I have developed a success plan and a failure plan so either way I win. I agree with thumper tell him to stop bringing crap in the house. He can at least keep in the car.

As for as the PMS. Increase you vitamin D and calcium intake. That means more milk products and cheese. For me it also meant increasing my calorie intake. I just can't hold a huge deficit for a long period of time w/o affecting my hormone levels. Also trying herbal teas. Dr. Oz mentioned one last night on his show you may want to check out his website. My sis has used evening primrose which is supposed to be good. You might want to talk to a dr or naturopathic pharmacist about mixing medications because some herbs and medications are not good to take together.

Hope this helps.
  • BossyGirl
    Options
    thanks ivykivy...I totally agree with you on the Xanax....I hate taking it but i do have anxeity, and if i dont eat junk, for some reason it intenifies. I only take it like 1 time a week, when i really need it. I love tea. Maybe I will try the primerose.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Try and find something healthier for your treat at night, that way if he brings this home you have something else you can turn to, I agree with you, you cannot tell him he can't eat that in the house. This is something you will always be faced with anywhere you go. You can't just depend on not eating it because it's not there you need to know how to say no or make a healthy choice.
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When my husband brings out the chips or something I just take a peice of gum. It keeps me from putting anything else in my mouth.
    Also my husband has a cupboard that he puts his treats in and I know not even to open the door because I am awful with temptation. If I don't know it's there it doesn't exist.
    Good luck. When you get going it does get easier.
  • yagnub
    yagnub Posts: 2
    Options
    The evening primrose really does help! I found an omega 3 oil with primrose and take that daily. not only does it help your skin look great, it helps with pms.:smile:

As for the night feeding, what helps me is drinking something warm. Either tea or treat myself to hot chocolate. By the time i finish i forget that i was even hungry.

hope this helps.
  • celkinsrn
    Options
    Night time "crisis" is a common one. I do better if I go to the gym after work. even if i do the cardio primarily in the am, i still do a warmup and hit the weights at night. that helps to get my hormones in line so i can come home, grab a shower and a cup a soup with a good book and off to sleep i go. I have to agree with telling your husband about the poor choices for snacks. You are coming to the realization that your health depends on you. Well, that is something for everyone to know. There are plenty of "thin" people who have high cholesterol/triglicerides and other related problems that all stem back from poor diet. Hey, he would probably feel better taking some preventitive steps for his older years. Don't think of yourself limiting his "freedom" by asking him to eat healthier. Good luck with it. also, the old addage of a cup of milk at bedtime will help you to sleep. It can be skim and as warm as you like. It releases all those feel good hormones and the sandman is not far behind.
  • Skinny100
    Options
    I agree with Yagnub - something warm really helps me too.
    Hills Bros. makes this sugar free cappacinno mix (french vanilla) that tastes like dessert and only has 50 calories. I got it in the coffee aisle. If you have a big mug of that, it takes a while to finish and you can drink it while your hubby eats donuts :) Plus it helps me slow down and relax. You can make it and keep it in a thermos before dinner so you know you already have your 50 calorie dessert ready to go and you may not be tempted by the yummy treats.

And don't feel too bad :) A few weeks ago my hubby and I went to Dunkin Donuts and we got two boston creme donuts. I ate mine AND his on the drive home (he had a milkshake :)
    Ugh - I can't tell you how gross I felt, but I started over on my healthy eating. The key is to never ever give up, even if you fail.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have MASSIVE PMS & working out (which you're already doing) & calcium do help me.

As for the food & late night eating...I agree w/the post about drinking something hot. For me right now its 25 calorie hot chocolate. I plan out my meals a day ahead of time so if I need to cut out an extra 5 almonds or cut my deli meat down from 5oz to 4oz on my sandwich that day to save calories, I know about it ahead of time. Sometimes a protein shake does the trick for my sweet tooth.

As for people bringing unhealthy food into my house...I am known to throw away 2 or 3 of something for every 1 of something I eat. Say hubby brings bag of M&Ms home. If I eat 1 M&M, I throw 4 or 5 away. Same with cookies, chips etc. If I wanted a donut, I would break it in half and immediately throw other half in sink. If I get a piece of cake at a restaurant, I would cut it in half as soon as it arrives and pour salt on the other half. However since June I don't let those foods cross my front door. They will go straight into the garbage disposal. During football season my hubby has Sunday as his "cheat day" and he orders pizza & wings. Whatever is leftover by Sunday night...straight to the garbage. If you throw away enough of the bad food he brings home, he will (hopefully) stop. Ultimately that is what needs to happen...especially if you have NO WILLPOWER like me!
  • Koreapsu
    Options
    My husband thinks I look like a supermodel already (at least thats what he says ...lol:laugh: ) But how can I tell him he cant bring his treats into his own home? I want to be able to look a donut straight in the face and say NO! I dont want my husband to feel like he has to be responsable for what i stuff into my mouth. But i do see where your coming from. Maybe if i just left the room until he is done.

As a guy I have to applaud your attitude on this. It's refreshing to see someone taking personal responsibility for their eating and not blaming it on someone else. The world doesn't have to revolve around you in order for you to lose weight and there are always going to be temptations. You seem to have a great attitude about avoiding falling to them. Well done!
    :smile:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have PMDD, and was taking Prozac for it, but I switch this year to taking Yaz BCP and am doing great. What problems to you have with BCP? The first kind I tried when I was young made me have terrible cramps, and mood swings, but Yaz has been great for me.

As for the donuts, don't put so much pressure on yourself. It is ok to have a donut sometimes...just not 3. Save yourself 200 calories for at night and have a treat. I love the Breyers 100 calorie ice creams, or a bag of popcorn is great because you get to munch lots, but aren't going to over do it on calories.

Good luck :)
  • BossyGirl
    Options
    thanks everyone. But i do think we should lay off my husband. As much as I have lectured him about his bad food, i think we all know that becoming healthy and eating right is a personal decision and i cannot make him change his eating habbits because I told him too. And Im sorry I will not throw his food away. That to me would be disrespectful. I wouldnt want him throwing away my food. Im going to try the primrose tea and the sugarfree drink that was mentioned.
    and why I cant take birthcontrol- It messes with my hormones waayyyyy too much. i turn into a superfreak b***** and yaz made me spaced out.
  • lisahabbe
    lisahabbe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey you are dead on about it being a personal choice what we eat and how we treat our bodies! So good for you! I had the same problem of being GREAT all day and blowing it after 7 or 8. I learned a lack of calcium makes our bodies crave the bad for us stuff, My doctor suggested adding a calcium suppliment twice a day that contains vitamin D. I did and after about a week those late night cravings were so much easier to resist if they came at all. I tried it and it worked. GOOD LUCK! STAY STRONG!
  • BossyGirl
    Options
    Hey you are dead on about it being a personal choice what we eat and how we treat our bodies! So good for you! I had the same problem of being GREAT all day and blowing it after 7 or 8. I learned a lack of calcium makes our bodies crave the bad for us stuff, My doctor suggested adding a calcium suppliment twice a day that contains vitamin D. I did and after about a week those late night cravings were so much easier to resist if they came at all. I tried it and it worked. GOOD LUCK! STAY STRONG!
    Im going to try some extra D to see it it works Thanks!!!!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. But i do think we should lay off my husband. As much as I have lectured him about his bad food, i think we all know that becoming healthy and eating right is a personal decision and i cannot make him change his eating habbits because I told him too. And Im sorry I will not throw his food away. That to me would be disrespectful. I wouldnt want him throwing away my food. Im going to try the primrose tea and the sugarfree drink that was mentioned.
    and why I cant take birthcontrol- It messes with my hormones waayyyyy too much. i turn into a superfreak b***** and yaz made me spaced out.

You're so right, it is a personal decision! Sorry if I came off too harsh on your husband! My husband & I BOTH started P90X in June & BOTH made a decision to turn our health around, so he's on board w/throwing out his leftover Sunday "cheat food". Before he changed his eating around, the food I would throw away was meant for me. I looked at your profile & you seem to be in good shape already...so whatever you're doing is obviously working! Good luck reaching your goals!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    As for people bringing unhealthy food into my house...I am known to throw away 2 or 3 of something for every 1 of something I eat. Say hubby brings bag of M&Ms home. If I eat 1 M&M, I throw 4 or 5 away. Same with cookies, chips etc. If I wanted a donut, I would break it in half and immediately throw other half in sink. If I get a piece of cake at a restaurant, I would cut it in half as soon as it arrives and pour salt on the other half. However since June I don't let those foods cross my front door. They will go straight into the garbage disposal. During football season my hubby has Sunday as his "cheat day" and he orders pizza & wings. Whatever is leftover by Sunday night...straight to the garbage. If you throw away enough of the bad food he brings home, he will (hopefully) stop. Ultimately that is what needs to happen...especially if you have NO WILLPOWER like me!

I like Bilox's idea's. Salt on the food, and you won't want to eat it.

I hope I wasn't too harsh either, Hubby can eat whatever food he likes, and bring it home.

Sure he can bring home a donut and 1 for you. That wasn't my point and maybe I rushed my response.
    In moderation, a treat is nice.

But how many is he bringing home that you were able to have 3 donuts?:noway: