4 lbs. in 24 hrs?

Options
I know they (the powers that be) say the best time to weigh is in the morning and to do so at the same time everyday because your body weight fluctuates by 5 lbs. everyday. I weighed myself yesterday morning on a empty stomach and came in at 180.6 (8 lbs. from my original weight. Needless to say, I was elated.) I weighed again this morning on an empty stomach, I came in at 184.6. I didn't go over my limit yesterday at all. How did this happen? Anyone got any ideas?

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    what did you do for exersise yesterday?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Fluid shifts. And other things that might be in your body that you didn't have the day before.

And I am not addressing any additional water retention issues.

You could have been slightly dehydrated the "low" day and back up the next. You be not fully recovered from a workout. You might have had a heavier dinner. There are plenty of plausible explanations. If you are going to weigh yourself every day (and I am no recommending one way or the other), you need to accept that fact that you are going to see these swings.

As someone who DID weigh himself literally every day for 6 months, I can say that your experience is typical. I found it inevitable that any time a hit a "new low", especially if it was a noticeable drop from the day before, there was going to be a rebound before I drifted down and "consolidated" that new level again.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/weight/scalelies.htm

Read the above article.

Could be water weight, many things. Last Thursday I weighed 179, but then for the rest of the week went up to 181. It wasn't until today, did the scale come back down to 179. There could be many reasons for this.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You could just be retaining water, being a woman your weight is going to be a little more shifty especially when you throw your TOM into the mix, you should really only be weighing yourself once a week or once every two weeks.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    It has to be water...I ate Trail Mix & gained 8 lbs in 2 days...my scale went back down today + under another lb. I was like WT:noway: Nuts hurt my tummy & were salty. No more trail mix for me:tongue:
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    Agree totally with these posts. So many variables affect day-to-day weight. It's like trying to figure out which way the stock market is headed by watching one day's fluctuation: Maddening at best. That being said, I do weigh myself every morning.

If my weight is unusually bad, or good, I view it as a temp fluctuation. It's the moving average that counts.

Hank

38 down
    29 to go
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    Options
    i also gained 3 pounds over night with no change to my diet or exercise habits. i've been consistently losing everyday and this really threw me off guard. it also has me stressed out and upset. hopefully, my body weight will shift back to where its supposed to be-- going down on the scale instead of up. thanks for the post and the answers.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll go three weeks w/o weighing myself.

Other times I'll weigh myself three times a day just to see the fluctations.

Last week I was on Anti-Biotics and lost 10 lbs in two days. I figured it was water weight because I had cotton mouth everytime I woke up in the morning. I didn't log the wieght on my ticker. Sure enough 24 hours after I stopped the antibiotics right back to where I was.

I know our society has conditioned us to expect results now, and that everything is linear, but the human body doesn't work like that. You want a downward trend. Don't be discouraged by daily or even weekly results. I once went three weeks without losing anything, but at the same time I lost 3 inches off my waist.
  • TheAlmightyAmy
    Options
    Thanks, guys! That really helped. :)