Oatmeal....what?

Options
musicmrse
musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
Ok, I know this is crazy, but I seriously have never made oatmeal...like just from oats. I have never really liked it, but I recently tried baked oatmeal and loved it, so I'm ready to give it a try.

Do you really just mix it with water, and then whatever fruit or stuff I want? How do you guys do it?

Replies

• adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use quick oats

1/4 cup of oats
    1 cup water
    mix in bowl and microwave for 2 minutes and your done!

I have also used 1/4 cup sugar free Torani syrup and 3/4 cup water with the 1/4 cup quick oats. It all adds up to 150 calories of goodness!!!

I mix in roasted nuts and cherries when I want different flavors. I eat it for breakfast and as a snack.
    I also portion out the dry quick oats in a baggie and take a bowl with lid with the water/sugar free syrup mixture and microwave it at work when I get hungry.

Also try this topic thred...it has a great oat recipe...
    TOPIC: 6-Pack Protein Balls
  • msmindylee
    msmindylee Posts: 61
    Options
    As much as I wish I could love oatmeal (it would make life so much easier in the morning), it gives me EPIC heartburn. Likewise oat bran. Believe me, it has been tough to find breakfast food that will stick with me for the morning!

My chickens like steel-cut oats, though. LOL
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yes water, that's all, the rest is garnish

Some people cook with milk instead

I garnish with cinnamon and a dollop of low fat cream
    serve with cold milk
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I like it with milk, a little butter, splenda and cinnamon. Grits are really good too.
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Oatmeal is a breakfast staple for me.
    1/3 cup Quaker quick oats plus double the water, bring to a boil, lower heat and cook 5 mins.
    I eat it with a single portion (100g) of fruit yogurt - different flavour every day, and maybe a Tbsp. of sliced almonds to up the protein.
    Holds me for 4 hours and is only about 150 calories!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned Mother's oats.....sooooo easy. 1/3 cup dry oats + 2/3 cup water (i use the same 1/3 measuring cup twice).Micro in a cereal bowl for 90 seconds... Done. Add protein of choice walnuts or peanut butter. I don't do fruit (too many carbs) but some people do.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I make it like this:

1/3 cup oats
    1 Tablespoon wheat bran
    2/3 cup milk (or 1/3 milk and 1/3 water)
    Pinch salt
    Pinch cinnamon

Cook in microwave medium power for 2 mins. Stir. Then a further 45 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave. I top it with banana and brown sugar.

Or, for chocolate oatmeal, same as above but just add in about 1/2 tablespoon cocoa and some brown sugar before cooking.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I eat my cooked oatmeal with cottage cheese, diced apples, nuts, cinnamon, and stevia. Keeps me full for a long time.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Anitamarhea
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with water (follow directions on the package) and add frozen blueberries to it while it cooks. It turns out a cool blue color and with a dab of sweetener of your choice, it's wonderful!!! The blueberries are plump and delicious and you can refrigerate it and microwave future morning portions for a minute and it's perfect every time.
  • vonne06
    vonne06 Posts: 42
    Options
    I like to make mine with coconut milk and add dried fruit of choice after it is cooked. A little dab of honey if you would like extra sweetner.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use old fashioned oats, and you can still do it in the microwave. IF I remember, I put 1/4 cup oats and some water in a bowl and leave it out on the counter... the next morning, I add more water, or milk, and microwave for about 3 minutes, until it starts to look creamy. Add whatever you like (I'm on a milk, raisins, stevia and cinnamon kick; before that was walnuts, brown sugar and banana; before that was... cranberry and almond?)
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned Mother's oats.....sooooo easy. 1/3 cup dry oats + 2/3 cup water (i use the same 1/3 measuring cup twice).Micro in a cereal bowl for 90 seconds... Done. Add protein of choice walnuts or peanut butter. I don't do fruit (too many carbs) but some people do.

You have lost 179 lbs.? You are a goddess! I'm bowing to you in admiration for that amazing accomplishment.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast.

You can make it in any quantity just use 1 part oats to 2 parts water (1/2 cup oats to 1 cup water).
    I microwave mine for 3 and a half minutes watching it doesnt boil over (use an extra large bowl).
    I add stevia and cinnamon. Occassionally cottage cheese, Rarely fruit and nuts.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I add fruit, nuts, nut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, jello sugar free/fat free mixes, cinnamon. Sometimes I'll make it savory and add cheese, eggs, bacon, sausage, avocado, other spices. You can use oats in place of rice in any recipe.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I make mine with raisins and tons of cinnamon :)
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    I used to fix it with milk, but now I fix it with water. Both ways are good.

I like to add lots of different things and I rotate them for variety, like almonds and raisins, fresh blueberries, fresh strawberries, fresh diced apples. If I want to sweeten it a little bit, I'll add between one-half and one tablespoon of agave. It's sweeter than sugar, so you can use less and it has a lower glycemic index than sugar. Pure maple syrup is also good to sweeten oatmeal, but use sparingly since it's 1) expensive and 2) full of empty calories.
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    LOVE oatmeal for breakfast! My favorite is:

1/2 cup quick oats
    1 cup water
    dash of salt
    1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds *(great for you and you can't even taste it!)

Mix together and heat 1 min, stir. Heat for another 45 seconds.
    Then for the best part, stir in a Tbsp. Skippy Natural peanut butter with honey and top with milk. YUM! Peanut butter in oatmeal may not be everyone's taste, but I love it and the added protein really keeps me full through out the morning. :)
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    Also, when I make meatloaf, I use oatmeal in place of bread crumbs. Tastes exactly the same, if not better!