Anyone tried zig zagging their calories?

Options
Ive caluclated 1400 cals a day to lose 1 pound a week. I was working out my body fat % and came across a calculator recommended by a MFP user. It talked about zig zagging your cals.

1 Week for me:
Monday 1836
Tuesday 1469
Wednesday 2203
Thursday1836
Friday 1653
Saturday 2020
Sunday 1836

Has anyone tried this or knows that it works?

thanks

*Read that doing this helps with not hitting a platau as your body doesnt get used it

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly being an avid athlete and workout person, I feel that zigzagging your calorie intake will have your body so confused it will not know what to do. Yes it might help you lose weight but it will also mess up your metabolism and how you eat your meals making you maybe eat meals/food that you do not need or want to eat!! This is my opinion so you can take it or just ignore it lol

Good luck and here for support
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Honestly being an avid athlete and workout person, I feel that zigzagging your calorie intake will have your body so confused it will not know what to do. Yes it might help you lose weight but it will also mess up your metabolism and how you eat your meals making you maybe eat meals/food that you do not need or want to eat!! This is my opinion so you can take it or just ignore it lol

Not being rude but that's rubbish. It wont impact your metabolic rate whatsoever. If it did my metabolism would be in the gutter. Op calorie cycling can work well, don't be afraid to give it a shot, its the only way your going to find out what works for you.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i tried it and was successful for a few weeks doing it.. pounds did come off. but... i also ended up being extremely hungry on low calorie days.. and too full on my high calorie days. it didn't work for me.. i find that my body needs to have the right fuel for the day's events.. and not be tricked into losing weight. hope that makes sense.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    personal preference. It won't make a significant difference. I eat more on days I work out than on days I do not.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I really like zig zags but JOB's work a lot better
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I don't zig zag per say, I look more at a weekly... I splurge on Fridays forsure, sometimes Saturday then eat at 1300 cals for the rest of the week. Has worked for me -- have lost 81 lbs.. Recently though I find my loss is slowing, so I am going to cut out the Saturday splurge and see what happens.
    ETA - this works for ME, alot won't agree... It's how I do my moderation.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    On 1400 cals a day you eat 9800 a week. On your zig zag diet you eat 12853 a week. I think you are supposed to take 500 cals off those numbers each week then it will add up pretty close to your cal intake now. I dont think you will loose if you are eating 3053 more cals a week :wink:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I love zigzagging! I started zigzagging to bust through a plateau, and it helped!! Then the loss continued. :)

Don't believe the "it will confuse your body and it won't know what to do" garbage... that's just plain silly. Our bodies know what to do...

I do the calculator as sedentary, and eat back exercise calories. And honestly, if I need extra calories because it's a high cal day and I cranked it at the gym, I just have an extra scoop or two of protein (my body needs it anyway if I cranked the workout), and/or peanut butter to help fill the calories. It is not hard and it doesn't have to be extremely "over filling."
  • p1nsta
    p1nsta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :P I would've thought it would be easier just to carb cycle
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat more than others. I eat when I am hungry but, I try to not go over 1600 calories a day not matter what I eat. So, some days are quiet low and others not so much. Seems to be working
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Lol....
    dramatic-chipmunk.gif
    Whaaaaaatttttt?

Feed when you need!
    If you lift heavy one day or expend a ton of energy by working out then eat up!
    You can cycle cals high on heavy lifting days and low on rest days.
    Keep the week in a deficit to lose weight.

On 1400 cals a day you eat 9800 a week. On your zig zag diet you eat 12853 a week. I think you are supposed to take 500 cals off those numbers each week then it will add up pretty close to your cal intake now. I dont think you will loose if you are eating 3053 more cals a week

If OPs TDEE daily was 2100 for example she would expend 14700 a week.
    If she cuts 30% from TDEE and gets 1470 she could eat this on rest days.
    If she lifts 3 times a week and eats 20% ABOVE TDEE at 2500 cals on lift days...heres the math...
    1470 x 4 for rest days =5880
    2520 x 3 for lift days =7575
    She would be eating 13455 on a weekly basis.
    Hormonally she would be losing weight and maintaining or possibly gaining lean mass if her training was spot on and if her nutrition was 80% perfect.

http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/sure-fire-fat-loss.html

The deficit is very low sure but the results can be astounding when you lift heavy and feed when you need.
    Also read the Intermittent Fasting guide on www.Leangains.com.
    OP may have great results from that as well.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Just started this week not sure yet but I have had good control do far with the lower amount
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    i tried it and was successful for a few weeks doing it.. pounds did come off. but... i also ended up being extremely hungry on low calorie days.. and too full on my high calorie days. it didn't work for me.. i find that my body needs to have the right fuel for the day's events.. and not be tricked into losing weight. hope that makes sense.

THIS is EXACTLY what happened when I tried it...
    I gave up on it because it didn't feel good to me to eat when I wasn't hungry just to achieve my calories on higher calorie days...

DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU... WE ARE NOT ALL MADE FROM THE SAME MOLD AND EACH OF OUR PREFERENCES AND BODIES ARE DIFFERENT :flowerforyou:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I am actually going to start zig zagging on MOnday
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think that will make you stay fat, you cant range your calories all the way from the 1400s to the 2000s. Thats a 600 calorie difference, thats going to mess up your metabolism and it just screams that you don't actually want to get healthy.
  • mikem45
    mikem45 Posts: 35
    Options
    About a year ago I was doing a body builder style diet where we Carb cycled so it would be one high Carb day (4000kcals) followed by 3 low days (3200kcals) and for me with the correct training I found it to be a very effective diet especially for fat loss as I was having my lean body mass calculated every fortnight using the body calipers.

Another poster put that its bad because the body doesn't know what to do but I was always led to believe that it was a positive thing to keep the body guessinhg. Like if you follow a system similar to what I did, just as the body is getting used to the low days and your metabolic rate might be slowing down all of a sudden you throw in a high day so its got to speed back up again so that it can deal with the extra energy. So knowing all that I can only assume that zigzagging will work in a similar way to keep your metabolic rate high and stop you hitting any plateaus.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I started zig-zagging about 2 weeks ago to break through a 2nd plateau I have been experiencing. I was about 8 lbs short of reaching my goal & I just couldn't get the scale to move. I excercise intensely and was very shy of eating back a majority of my exercise calories. I read on one of the forum post about zig-zagging. It recommended 3 days out of the week eat between 1800 - 2200 calories & your other days eat at your set BMR. I was very gun shy of eating so much instead I compromised between 1600- 1800 on three days & the remaining four days I eat at my BMR of 1360. So far it is working for me. I broke t through the plateau- I lost 4 lbs and I am now 4 lbs from my set goal.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think that will make you stay fat, you cant range your calories all the way from the 1400s to the 2000s. Thats a 600 calorie difference, thats going to mess up your metabolism and it just screams that you don't actually want to get healthy.
    This actually made me Lol :laugh:
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I personally eat a constant of 1700 cals ,with or without excercise and make sure the weeks deficit comes upto 3500 cals, the only variable here is excercise, my body better adapted to this than the zigzagging,that kind of confused my body-i had spent a couple of years on low calories before-that might be the reason i didnt respond well to zigzagging.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

www.bodyrecomposition.com
    http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/
    www.leangains.com

Ignore the Intermittent fasting and understand that all these folks use cal cycling.
    They arent fat and the metabolism is just swell.