Thank you =]

Options
I hope this doesnt come off the wrong way. but alot of people have posted on here that they are older now and have spent there whole life unhappy with there weight. These stories have truly motivated me. Here i am at 21. i have only spent 3 years being overweight and i know how i feel =[. but hearing these stories makes me realize that time does fly and the time to do something is NOW. I give kudos to those who are still getting up and making a change even after all the time that has passed =] you have also motivated another person to get it done now =]

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    =[ i guess it came off the wrong way...
  • jwilson56
    Options
    Well I can say that some of us older people came through the 70's and 80's and really hurt ourselves doing those fad diets. There is a lot more good information around (remember we didn't have the internet) and there there was no idea that the body would go into starvation mode if you ate too little. So I for one have spent many years with great will power and cut way back on eating but alas not eating the right foods and not enough calories was self defeating.

I once read a doctor who wrote that many people are over 300lbs because they fad dieted by starving themselves which just lowered their metabolism down.

I urge my girls to lose weight (yes there is a weight problem in my family) while they are still young as it is certainly easier than when you get above 40.

No offense taken here..... it is better to continue to try at any age then to give up and pay the price in terms of health.....
  • haley4tn
    haley4tn Posts: 130
    Options
    No offense taken either. I think it's great that you are doing this now and not waiting.

I was a size 5 before my first child, I ballooned and gained 86 pounds to a size 20. Hey, I was eating for two. I was also young (21 years old) and dumb...thought I was having an eighty pound baby. Little did I know. I work real hard and got down to 14/16 and then baby # 2 came along. Here comes 60 pounds back on. My youngest is 9 years old and for the longest time I used the excuse "I had kids". I can't keep using that story anymore. I was getting to the point of staying home and not going anywhere for fear of seeing people I knew. Embarassed because I knew people were saying "OMG she gained so much weight".

You need to be able to enjoy life. Life has enough ups and downs in the way to have to worry about weight.

Good luck!
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Well I can say that some of us older people came through the 70's and 80's and really hurt ourselves doing those fad diets. There is a lot more good information around (remember we didn't have the internet) and there there was no idea that the body would go into starvation mode if you ate too little. So I for one have spent many years with great will power and cut way back on eating but alas not eating the right foods and not enough calories was self defeating.

I once read a doctor who wrote that many people are over 300lbs because they fad dieted by starving themselves which just lowered their metabolism down.

I urge my girls to lose weight (yes there is a weight problem in my family) while they are still young as it is certainly easier than when you get above 40.

No offense taken here..... it is better to continue to try at any age then to give up and pay the price in terms of health.....

I couldnt agree more with your last sentence
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    No offense taken either. I think it's great that you are doing this now and not waiting.

I was a size 5 before my first child, I ballooned and gained 86 pounds to a size 20. Hey, I was eating for two. I was also young (21 years old) and dumb...thought I was having an eighty pound baby. Little did I know. I work real hard and got down to 14/16 and then baby # 2 came along. Here comes 60 pounds back on. My youngest is 9 years old and for the longest time I used the excuse "I had kids". I can't keep using that story anymore. I was getting to the point of staying home and not going anywhere for fear of seeing people I knew. Embarassed because I knew people were saying "OMG she gained so much weight".

You need to be able to enjoy life. Life has enough ups and downs in the way to have to worry about weight.

Good luck!

This is almost exactly my story! i wore between 0-5(big gap but its true lol) and i got pregnant (at 16) and gained about 60 lbs. So there i was 17 and had after baby body. =[ alot of moms bounce back.. not me.. i like you said was dumb and thought i could do whatever while i was pregnant and after the baby i would be back to normal HAHA.. my size 3 jeans hung in my closet forever waiting for me. Even when i lose all the weight i want.. i will NEVER be a 3 again. So here i am now with 2 kids and im 21.. trying to lose all my baby weight lol
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesnt come off the wrong way. but alot of people have posted on here that they are older now and have spent there whole life unhappy with there weight. These stories have truly motivated me. Here i am at 21. i have only spent 3 years being overweight and i know how i feel =[. but hearing these stories makes me realize that time does fly and the time to do something is NOW. I give kudos to those who are still getting up and making a change even after all the time that has passed =] you have also motivated another person to get it done now =]

I don't think that came off the wrong way at all! That's great that you're doing something about it now...no time like the present! :flowerforyou: