Emotional Eating.....

Options
After recently going through a tough breakup, I find my comfort in food, or alcohol depending on the day lol.... Any suggestions on how to curb the emotion eating habit? Its terrible. Had a rough day today so I decided a snickers bar and snack bag of flammin cheetos would make me feel better.... well now Im just mad at myself for eating all those unneeded calories.... UGH vicious cycle. I eat cause I'm sad and I'm sad cause I eat...lol
The fact that my social life went with the relationship doesnt help much either. Nothing better than an entire bag of chips or a some taco bell to make you feel better while your home alone watching sex and the city reruns.......

Replies

• xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did for a while. A year ago my brother took his own life. I went from 227 to 260. I was miserable. Work suffered, my relationship suffered, and all I wanted to do every night was go home, curl up into a ball, and eat.

So, I went to see a therapist. I felt stupid and ashamed for needing it, but I went. I worked through a lot of baggage I had been carrying around. I learned to accept my loss. I finally made it to a point where I wanted to live again... and I am now back down to 237 as of a week ago. Hoping to drop that 37 by the end of the year, and then maybe more.

I recommend seeing a therapist. I really do. There are some things in life you just can't face alone, and an unbiased third party will really help you to see things from a different light.
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    emotional eating is a hard habit to break, ive recently started doing jumping jacks before i grab some candy or a cookie. and then after ive done some of those and i still want it i make myself workout for 15 minutes. its really started making me rethink those extra snacks!!maybe give yourself a mani/pedi or some other little hobby to keep yourself occupied on the nights you're hanging out solo
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Trust me, if I could, I would love to see a therapist. I'm sure I got all kinds of stuff goin on up there. But it is just not something I can afford. And I don't have any kind of insurance either. But if you know any ways around that, let me know!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The only way I have figured out how to stop this kind of eatting is to realize you're eating because of it.

Then sit down at a table and enjoy your food.

Yet first, if you want to stop, you must figure out what is wrong and address it.

That is the only way I have stopped myself from eating like that..
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Trust me, if I could, I would love to see a therapist. I'm sure I got all kinds of stuff goin on up there. But it is just not something I can afford. And I don't have any kind of insurance either. But if you know any ways around that, let me know!

I understand the finance thing. I found a guy who works on a sliding scale and would see me for $20. :)
  • tedinger4given
    tedinger4given Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been an emotional eater, I cant say I am completely over it. I still get lonely sometimes and tend to eat my way through it. Then I feel bad that I have done it, was well feel like I have failed myself. I have learned to write my food down, I don't always get it written down the day before. Or even the morning of that day, but I found that if I wrote it down I was accountable for it. I wouldn't eat it if I didn't want someone to see what I have eaten. Making myself accountable to myself or someone else was one of the easiest ways of getting through it. This may help you, find someone to be accountable to. Write it down.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • I was an emotional eater too. I use exercise to raise the endorphins and dopamine to feel better now. Well, hiking this beautiful hill close to where I live. It has worked fantastically though.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree; therapy has helped a lot. Most towns have local agencies that work on a sliding scale. There's also some great self help books out there. I like guide to rational living. Mostly you should know its perfectly normal to struggle for a while after a big loss, just try not to get stuck there. You mentioned that your social life went with your partner. That may be your first priority. Talking to friends has been my number one tool in fighting emotional eating and drinking. Still struggling but it is better.