Too Short to Lose?

Options
So I was doing some research and found that you have to burn 3500 to lose 1 lb, which breaks down to a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days to lose 1 pound. I calculated my BMR online based on my height, weight, and age and found it to be 1455.4 calories per day at rest. So to lose 1 pound a week, I can only eat 945 calories a day BUT you're not supposed to go below 1200 calories per day which means I can only lose a half pound per week AT MOST! Is anyone else in my boat and know how to fix this? I can't stand the thought of all that work giving me barely any results. HELP!

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So I was doing some research and found that you have to burn 3500 to lose 1 lb, which breaks down to a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days to lose 1 pound. I calculated my BMR online based on my height, weight, and age and found it to be 1455.4 calories per day at rest. So to lose 1 pound a week, I can only eat 945 calories a day BUT you're not supposed to go below 1200 calories per day which means I can only lose a half pound per week AT MOST! Is anyone else in my boat and know how to fix this? I can't stand the thought of all that work giving me barely any results. HELP!

BMR is not your daily calorie requirements, it's what you would need if you were in a coma, so you don't deduct the 500 from there.
    You need to apply a multiplier to the BMR depending on your activity levels to get to your TDEE.

I'm just under 5ft, didn't like the 1200 MFP gave me and am now losing but making sure I eat at over my BMR of 1500.

I got my numbers run my helloitsdan, and when he gave me 1700 calories I nearly fell through the floor, but the first week of increasing from 1200 I lost 2.4lb. His logic is you have to fuel the body adequately before it will start working properly.

check out these sites too to work out your TDEE

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    Hi there
    I am currently in the same boat. Just wondering what your fix was?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am currently in the same boat. Just wondering what your fix was?
    You didn't read what ladyraven said?
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    HI; I'm 4'10" with about 45 lbs to lose when I started. I have posted this before; I am doing the Petite Advantage Diet by Jim Karas. His belief is that shorter women do not need as many calories, and there is no room for empty calories if you are not eating that many. I do 1100 calories for 5 days, then higher (1400 - 1600) on weekends. I have lost 13 lbs in 2 months. The book recommends calorie cycling as a way to keep the metabolism high, plus strength training with suspension straps.

I should state that I am 58 years old, with a basic metabolic rate of about 1300, and a fairly sedentary life. I work out with TRX straps every other day, have plenty of energy for the workouts, and have lost inches all over. My cholesterol at my physical 2 weeks ago was the lowest it's ever been!

I eat plenty of good, natural food, and do not eliminate any food group. You can eat quite a lot for 1100 calories if you make wise choices. I have fought my weight all my life, and this is the best I have done in years! At 58 years old, I do not believe that I would be losing if I ate more calories. I asked my doctor to make sure, and she said as long as I don't feel weak or shaky that it's ok because I am so short.
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    My girlfriend is 4 ft 9 and has lost 15 kilo, its about input and output, she got off her butt and exercised and watched what she was eating, and she looks amazing, it can be done!
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    Yes, I read what she said. I wanted to know what the original posters fix was, maybe she tried something different? Who knows.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read what she said. I wanted to know what the original posters fix was, maybe she tried something different? Who knows.

If she did, whatever she would have 'tried' would have ended up being a starvation died, and be of no help to you anyway.

I'm 5'1" and am shedding weight like crazy because I eat 1500 a day and am ACTIVE. TDEE is what matters, not bmi, as raven said. (p.s. My bmr is 1700, so if hers is 1450 she's either EXTREMELY short or already at a healthy weight).
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    I calculated everything through here and it told me, with the deficit I chose, to eat 1200. I make sure to NET 1200 a day and I'm good. I've been losing steady for a couple weeks. I've only been on mfp for about a month and only lost a little the first week because I was way under, not realizing I was supposed to eat the net calories. I just make sure that my 1200 made up of healthy stuff.
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    Thanks for your help Tizzie_14 Hope your weight loss continues to be successful!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the numbers and math and all that but MFP gave me 1370 calories a day. I try to stay slightly under that and make smart eating choices and try to fit in a few workouts a week. I lost 7 lbs in the first month (May 2012) so Im happy with it sp far. I am 5 foot flat and 180 lbs (was 187 to start with).
  • aimee_md
    aimee_md Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm 5'3 with the slowest metabolism in the world :( i find it really hard to loose too..
  • mibrewer413
    Options
    Ladyraven68 is right on the money. Check out the group Eat more to weigh less, there's a lot of valuable info on there.