Does the aching ever stop or get better?!?!?!?

Options
Well I'm currently doing the 30ds plus other cardio and toning exercises and stretches well im about day 8 but had 2 kind of rest days withno shred but those days did have some cardio involved and quite frankly I'm In AGONY!! I'm walking round like an 80 year old Tina turner Who's just had a hip replacement. My everything hurts my back my sides my glute's thighs shoulders and neck. I'm excited to keep working out as I'm keen to see results but I just want to know will I always hurt like this after every workout?!? Or will it get easier?!? I usually only really do cardio such as Zumba or running , walking or the od aerobics dvd-class but now with the shred and the other strength & toning I've added weights and I think my body is in shock maybe?!?!?

Any one got any advice on this?!?

Thanks

Replies

• cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    Are you taking rest days between lifting? There is no need to work out so hard that you're in agony... You might be pushing yourself too hard. Be kind to your body and listen to it. If you're in dire pain, it is high time for a break!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Any time you start an exercise program that is considerably more strenuous than you're used to, your body is going to be pissed. Make sure you stretch, get plenty of sleep, and eat plenty of protein, and after a couple weeks you'll find the same workout doesn't feel like hell anymore.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    as the poster above said..."in a couple of weeks the workouts you are NOW doing wont feel like hell anymore" BUT BUT BUT!! you want to feel that burn--that means you are getting stronger and making those muscles react! that is a good thing! NOT PAIN...but burn and ache. You have to learn how to love those aches, it means you are working and getting better and stronger!
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body."
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, and watch your technique too! as you get stronger and are able to keep correct form you will not have as much of a stress injury.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    No it wont always be like this. You'll stop being sore in like 5 days but the DVD will probably still be tough to get through because its working out different muscles than you're used to. :)
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm doing the shred (today is day 8) and my legs ache a lot as well
    but as she says in the video you have to stress your body for it to change,
    I'm personally going to push through and maybe just do the beginner
    moves for some of the exercises. Any movement is better than no movement
    in my opinion and only if I was having pain somewhere other than my muscles
    would I stop (ex: joint pain, etc).
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The first day I did the 30DS, I was in complete agony for 5 days. I did not work out for those 5 days. I let my body rest. I mean my thighs felt like cement blocks. Going down stairs hurt worse than going up them which I thought was very unusual. I used 5lb weights the first time. My biceps hurt so bad that I couldn't move them at all. That was the worst thing I ever did. I practically held my arms like they were in a make believe sling. Don't do that! Stretch out your muscles even if you are sore. I hadn't worked out with weights in 3 years. If you are sore, take rest days. Let your body get adjusted because it will be a complete shock. On your rest days, stretch out your muscles. They will thank you! The next time I did the 30DS, I wasn't nearly as sore as I was the first day.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Any time you start an exercise program that is considerably more strenuous than you're used to, your body is going to be pissed. Make sure you stretch, get plenty of sleep, and eat plenty of protein, and after a couple weeks you'll find the same workout doesn't feel like hell anymore.
    Agreed! And good quality carbohydrates from fruits and veggies help speed up recovery, too. Sleep, water, stretch, good food, and you'll recover fast. Some pain/soreness is to be expected, but the first few weeks of workouts after a long period of not working out are really hard. It gets better, just keep at it, and don't forget quality recovery in your routine!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    your body will definitely adjust! When I started Power 90, the first week I was doing it I was SO sore. I had a hard time walking, and just rolling over in bed hurt. By week 2, my body had started to adjust. Now when I work out I don't feel it, and if I do it isn't painful. Give your body some time, and don't push it too hard!!! Make sure you're not doing weights every day too!! It'll adjust, promise!
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

^
    This
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you all do much for your comments :-) I really appreciate them. I can see that there is hope and I'm going to be telling myself those inspirational thoughts- pain Is weakness leaving your body- live the burn it's making you stronger!!! Learn to Love it!!
    I am glad I'm not alone in this :-) I kinda felt weak - I thought my fitness had way improved over the last 10 weeks as I was increasing my cardio but haven't worked with weights for years!! So my body is in shock!! I could barely do 3 press ups a few weeks ago!!
    I am having plenty of rest but trying not to be off the wagon for too long.... As its always harder to h
    Get back on. I've done shred 6/8 days and have done cardio on the rest days an 3-4/8days I have added extra circuits or aerobics. So I know why I'm aching just want to make sure I won't feel like this forever :-/ x
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    your body will definitely adjust! When I started Power 90, the first week I was doing it I was SO sore. I had a hard time walking, and just rolling over in bed hurt. By week 2, my body had started to adjust. Now when I work out I don't feel it, and if I do it isn't painful. Give your body some time, and don't push it too hard!!! Make sure you're not doing weights every day too!! It'll adjust, promise!

Snap rolling over in bed hurts too!! I'm hoping by this time next week it won't hurt so bad thanks for the advice :-)
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body."

This is a fun and motivational quote and all, but it would cause a lot of muscle and ligament tears if your average MFPer followed it religiously.

I think it's important to ease newcomers into hard workouts. When they're 18 months in and 3/4 of the way toward shredded, then you can hit them with that quote. Just sayin'.