Diary of a Compulsive Overeater - Day 14

Options
so yesterday actually went really well! i had a doctor's appointment in the morning (i am getting my wisdom teeth extracted) and i had to go in for a physical and some blood work.
EKG: normal
Blood Pressure: normal
heart rate: normal
lungs: normal
weight: totally NOT normal.

so usually when i go to my doctor it is because something is wrong with me... usually his answer has something to do with me being fat. just like getting the physical, it was because i am getting put under and am at high risk because i am morbidly obese. so i let him know that i had lost about 30 pounds over the last year, and he said that was really great, and asked how i did it. i told him that i tried abstaining for foods that trigger me to binge. he cringed and asked if i had gone to OA, and i said yes. he said he does not like that method, because people have to eat to survive and will inevitably fall off the wagon. he asked if i had any history of depression, and i let him know my aunt is schizophrenic, my sister is bi-polar and my grandma is severely depressed. he asked if i was depressed, and i said yes since i was about 12. well, he suggested that i seek counselling to get at the underlying reason why i compulsively overeat. he said after we get the emotional side of it fixed, he may prescribe a dietary aid, but right now it is not wise to use anything other than eating well because my emotional issues would render the drug useless. he said he's offering the prescription later only as an option, because he really does not want me to be obese after 30. he said that is when it really starts to do damage to your health, and every year as you get older it becomes increasingly difficult to lose. am i happy that i will get some counselling!

i had to get some blood work done to check for diabetes and anemia, and they could not draw any blood! i was in the test chair for an hour, missed my snack time, and got poked all over, even the tops of my hands and the tops of my feet, and no blood lol. i have to go back again this week. so for eating yesterday, here is how it went:

breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal
1 apple

snack:
1 chocolate chip muffin
2/3 cup orange juice

lunch:
2 cups of orzo veggie salad with feta and vinaigrette
1 avocado with salt and pepper

snack:
1 yogurt
22 almonds

snack:
cucumber slices

supper:
1 tossed salad with tomatoes and cukes and mustard vinaigrette
6 oz of roasted pork
2/3 cup rice
1/4 red pepper
steamed broccoli with fresh garlic and a little becel

so all in all a really good day. i logged it and i was still over by about 600 calories, but other than the muffin i am really proud of how i did yesterday. i also walked for about 40 minutes, so i also got in some activity. here is the plan for today:

breakfast:
1 cup kashi crunch (i hate this cereal, but it was $6 for the box, and i'm not letting it go to waste. it's too crunchy!)
1 cup skim milk

snack:
cucumber slices
mini carrots

snack:
1 small yogurt
1 granola bar

lunch:
3.5 oz of roasted pork
2/3 cup rice
1/4 red pepper

snack:
1 orange
22 almonds
mini carrots

snack:
cucumber slices (if hungry)

supper:
w/w spagetti with tomato sauce and meat balls, little bit of parmesan cheese.

so i am looking forward today. i did not bring any money with me, and brought lots of healthy snakcs to work, so there is no excuse to eat poorly. also, i am packing cucumber slices for the walk home so i can munch on them as i walk past the convenience store and DQ. it seemed to work yesterday, so i may start doing that all the time. or celerly sticks. something with little calories and alot of crunch to keep my mouth occupied. i am hoping to go for a walk tonight as well, but i always walk to and from work, so i get at least 30 minutes of walking everyday without really trying. i hope to do an additional 40-60 minutes tonight before dinner. here is to today :)

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so yesterday actually went really well! i had a doctor's appointment in the morning (i am getting my wisdom teeth extracted) and i had to go in for a physical and some blood work.
    EKG: normal
    Blood Pressure: normal
    heart rate: normal
    lungs: normal
    weight: totally NOT normal.

so usually when i go to my doctor it is because something is wrong with me... usually his answer has something to do with me being fat. just like getting the physical, it was because i am getting put under and am at high risk because i am morbidly obese. so i let him know that i had lost about 30 pounds over the last year, and he said that was really great, and asked how i did it. i told him that i tried abstaining for foods that trigger me to binge. he cringed and asked if i had gone to OA, and i said yes. he said he does not like that method, because people have to eat to survive and will inevitably fall off the wagon. he asked if i had any history of depression, and i let him know my aunt is schizophrenic, my sister is bi-polar and my grandma is severely depressed. he asked if i was depressed, and i said yes since i was about 12. well, he suggested that i seek counselling to get at the underlying reason why i compulsively overeat. he said after we get the emotional side of it fixed, he may prescribe a dietary aid, but right now it is not wise to use anything other than eating well because my emotional issues would render the drug useless. he said he's offering the prescription later only as an option, because he really does not want me to be obese after 30. he said that is when it really starts to do damage to your health, and every year as you get older it becomes increasingly difficult to lose. am i happy that i will get some counselling!

i had to get some blood work done to check for diabetes and anemia, and they could not draw any blood! i was in the test chair for an hour, missed my snack time, and got poked all over, even the tops of my hands and the tops of my feet, and no blood lol. i have to go back again this week. so for eating yesterday, here is how it went:

breakfast:
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 apple

snack:
    1 chocolate chip muffin
    2/3 cup orange juice

lunch:
    2 cups of orzo veggie salad with feta and vinaigrette
    1 avocado with salt and pepper

snack:
    1 yogurt
    22 almonds

snack:
    cucumber slices

supper:
    6 oz of roasted pork
    2/3 cup rice
    1/4 red pepper

so all in all a really good day. i logged it and i was still over by about 600 calories, but other than the muffin i am really proud of how i did yesterday. i also walked for about 40 minutes, so i also got in some activity. here is the plan for today:

breakfast:
    1 cup kashi crunch (i hate this cereal, but it was $6 for the box, and i'm not letting it go to waste. it's too crunchy!)
    1 cup skim milk

snack:
    cucumber slices
    mini carrots

snack:
    1 small yogurt
    1 granola bar

lunch:
    3.5 oz of roasted pork
    2/3 cup rice
    1/4 red pepper

snack:
    1 orange
    22 almonds
    mini carrots

snack:
    cucumber slices (if hungry)

supper:
    w/w spagetti with tomato sauce and meat balls, little bit of parmesan cheese.

so i am looking forward today. i did not bring any money with me, and brought lots of healthy snakcs to work, so there is no excuse to eat poorly. also, i am packing cucumber slices for the walk home so i can munch on them as i walk past the convenience store and DQ. it seemed to work yesterday, so i may start doing that all the time. or celerly sticks. something with little calories and alot of crunch to keep my mouth occupied. i am hoping to go for a walk tonight as well, but i always walk to and from work, so i get at least 30 minutes of walking everyday without really trying. i hope to do an additional 40-60 minutes tonight before dinner. here is to today :)
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    You did so completely awesome yesterday! And I'm glad your Dr. has finally seen the light and is offering you some help in figuring things out. Here's to a happy and healthy day! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the best you've done in a long time!! WTG!!! :drinker:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    soudns like you did well yesterday. well done!
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yesterday sounds like it was a good day in more ways than one. :flowerforyou:
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options
    Sounds like you did a great job yesterday.

Keep up the great work today:flowerforyou:
  • nurseredtx
    Options
    you are doing so awesome. you are an inspiration and your dr is right after the age of 30 it gets harder and harder to lose weight. I'm only 33 and i never had this hard of a time losing the pregnancy weight before so stick with it. you're awesome
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    :heart: Sounds like you had an informative day, and great job on the eating! By the way, I noticed that one of today's meals was yogurt w/ a granola bar......Seeing that you want to finish your Kashi Crunch (which I really kind of like), if you still have more to eat (Kashi) in the days ahead, you might consider replacing the granola bar with the same calorie count of the Kashi and sprinkle the Kashi over the yogurt (this is how I actually eat mine). Have a GREAT day!!!!! :flowerforyou: