i feel selfish for eating healthy and exercising :S.

Options
I don't know why but I feel like eating healthily and exercising causes me to be selfish.

I don't have as much time for my friends, when I do go out I have to be conscious what I eat.

Does anyone else see where I am coming from? Because I have never actually cared about myself before or cared about my appearance or health I just feel like I always have to think about me... and it's making me feel bad.

I don't understand why... :S

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I felt this way too at first. Now I just integrate the kids into my workouts. I do leg presses with them as the weight and they love it. They bike while I run/jog. Last week all 6 of us, yeah you read that right 6, were spread out on the living room floor doing pilates, and push ups and crunches.
    You need to be healthy in order to do the things you want to with your kids. As long as you're not taking food out of their mouth then don't feel guilty. They will benefit greatly in the long run.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Some people just feel guilty when they focus on themselves and not others. But your doing so much good for yourself! You're focusing on yourself in a good way :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Some people just feel guilty when they focus on themselves and not others. But your doing so much good for yourself! You're focusing on yourself in a good way :)

Yeah, sounds a lot like me but I don't know how to break this thought pattern :S
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's not selfish at all. If you don't take care of your health, no one else will. You're setting a good example for your friends by choosing some healthier habits. You never know, a few of them may come around and even ask to join you for a workout or for some tips!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It can seem selfish, and it sort of is, because it is just for you. But think about it this way. Unless you take care of yourself first, you won't be able to take care of anyone else. You won't be able to do the things you want to do with your friends. This is one time you are allowed to be selfish! :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Nah I feel like my friends are selfish for not coming to the gym with me :sad:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too. But I remind myself that I can't be good to others if I'm not healthy. My hubs has even started taking better care of himself so I guess I've been a good influence on him.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You'll live longer and be able to share yourself with more people. That's not selfish at all, is it?
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Yeah I tend to avoid family and friends more because I know family = eating out = :explode:

As long as your agenda is different from those around you it is inevitable. Find friends who share your concerns, or try to meet your friends and family in the middle. I hope the next time I go home and there is nothing going on, I would like to make dinner for my family. And if they come here I would like to walk them around my campus. Work in the better food and exercise with them. If you explain, maybe they will care enough to try to meet you in the middle as well. :)
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i felt that way too in the beginning. recently, i've encouraged my family to get active with me. instead of going to my room and working out by myself, we load up our bikes and go to the park, or we run around the pond. we bought a paddle boat yesterday, so this weekend we're going to the lake to test it out. they don't know it, but they are getting excellent workouts! 2 years ago, we were a family that sat around snacking and watching tv... NOT ANYMORE! you have to lead by example and don't you dare feel guilty about living a healthier lifestyle :explode:
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    my husband calls me selfish because I dedicate a lot more time to exercising and cooking healthy foods (which cost more money than cheap foods do) and he says I have an "obsession" with health. Well if a person has an obsession, I would think that health would be the best one to have!
    I see where he's coming from as far as the money issue goes... I could be buying boxed macaroni and cheese and ramen noodles instead of chicken and fresh veggies/fruits, but I really think that your health and your self esteem is a much better time AND money investment than anything else!

Don't get down on yourself because YOU are worth it!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I feel like eating healthily and exercising causes me to be selfish.

I don't have as much time for my friends, when I do go out I have to be conscious what I eat.

Does anyone else see where I am coming from? Because I have never actually cared about myself before or cared about my appearance or health I just feel like I always have to think about me... and it's making me feel bad.

I don't understand why... :S

NOPE, Can't say that I have EVER felt bad, selfish or guilty about doing what I know is right...whether for Myself or anyone else. My Conscious don't work like that.
  • ShantiDey
    ShantiDey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There's a beautiful scene in the movie "Defending Your Life" where Rip Torn's character tells Albert Brooks' (recently deceased) character that he was a pretty good guy while he was alive, but there was one person on Earth he could have been a whole lot nicer to - himself.

My suggestion is to keep in mind that you cannot provide 100% of your all for the ones you love in your life unless you take care of yourself. When you eat nutritious foods, take a few minutes to exercise your body, or get enough rest, that's giving you strength to help your parents, spouse, kids, friends or pets when they need you. It's contributing to a positive state of mind that makes you someone other people gravitate toward. In short, it's all win-win. You might try thinking about this the next time that guilty feeling comes along - you're doing this for you and the ones you love.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    think of it this way - By eating well and exercising you are ensuring yourself the greatest possible chance to be there for those you care most about, whoever they may be. By being fit and healthy, you increase your ability to GIVE of yourself...that is why I do what I do - 3 hours in the gym every day and a whole different shopping list than my wife and two kids - so I can GIVE them more of me!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    By eating well and exercising you are ensuring yourself the greatest possible chance to be there for those you care most about, whoever they may be. By being fit and healthy, you increase your ability to GIVE of yourself...

True that
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    think of it this way - By eating well and exercising you are ensuring yourself the greatest possible chance to be there for those you care most about, whoever they may be. By being fit and healthy, you increase your ability to GIVE of yourself...that is why I do what I do - 3 hours in the gym every day and a whole different shopping list than my wife and two kids - so I can GIVE them more of me!

i love this! Thankyou!
    But why not let them embark on this beautiful journey with you and give them healthy food as well? I'm sure they'd thank you in the long run.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    my husband calls me selfish because I dedicate a lot more time to exercising and cooking healthy foods (which cost more money than cheap foods do) and he says I have an "obsession" with health. Well if a person has an obsession, I would think that health would be the best one to have!
    I see where he's coming from as far as the money issue goes... I could be buying boxed macaroni and cheese and ramen noodles instead of chicken and fresh veggies/fruits, but I really think that your health and your self esteem is a much better time AND money investment than anything else!

Don't get down on yourself because YOU are worth it!!

I'm sorry, I just don't quite understand how healthy food is more expensive than other food...? :S Please elaborate.