Couch to 5K

Options
I've been thinking about starting a couch to 5K, has anyone done it? What do they think? I googled a "schedule" and it kinda looked easy.. has a rest day every other day.. does anyone work out on rest days.. I want to get the full benefit of it, but I want to have some background information and some other peoples input..
Anything that you think might help?!

Thanks!

Replies

• hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do it every day except for Sunday. Since its 3 days a week, I do each workout twice so i end up working out 6 days a week. I really enjoy it, its easy enough that im not dying but efffective enough that I am still sweating when I am done. Unfortunately, I think its a little short (30 mins) but I generally use a JM workout video to finish off the hour. make sure though that you start at week one and work your way up even if you think you are in shape (unless you are like a personal trainer or something). My friend likes it too and has really made workouts fun especially if you get the app for the phone :)
  • Kay901
    Kay901 Posts: 27
    Options
    What app? I just got an iphone and an learning about all the different apps!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    What app? I just got an iphone and an learning about all the different apps!

There is a couch to 5K app, The app on my phone is brown with '5K' in it. What I like about it is that it tells you to run then walk, etc. so you dont have to keep looking at your watch.

I did it when I started out at 245 lbs. I didn't exercise on the off days becuase that was more then enough haha! I got to the point that if I did the walk portion I didn't want to run again, so I gave it up and just ran until I could no more. I have worked myself up almost to 7k.

Good luck
  • Kay901
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 Day 1, and I love it. Honestly, I'm dying! I've never ran before, and my endurance is pitiful.

I do the program three times a week, and strength train three of my days off
  • DreaFitX
    DreaFitX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS! I decided a year ago to start running. I looked for a couch 2 5k app and found "get running" i liked it so much more than the actual couch25k app because the "trainer" actually talked to you and motivated you in a way rather than run BEEP walk BEEP. I took a hiatus from running around the same time i fell off the wagon with mfp. but now i am back on track with both, did the get running app again and now on to a 10k training program with my personal running trainer. i also set a goal to run at least one race a month to help keep me on track and not quit. I think you should definitely do this!
  • Kay901
    Options
    Thanks! Ill check it out!
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I LOVED the couch to 5k! I used the app on my ipod and really liked it. The schedule alone kept me motivated to get up and go running. I think it works really great. I have successfully done a 5k, and am running about 4.5 miles every other day now without any trouble. Good luck with it and, above all, HAVE FUN!!! :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    C25k easy?
    Say that again on week 5.

I actually did it 4 days a week. I would repeat day 3.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three, week one. Best two dollars I've ever spent for my health. I feel great, and proud at what I am doing for my body. I've always grown up in a military family were my dad and brother would wake up at 4am to go running. And doing it for myself now, I can see why its so enjoyed. I just love the energy I feel afterwards, and the knowledge of what I'm doing for myself.

I feel paced, and not burned. Pushed, but not exhausted. Its a great rhythm tracker.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I love c25k. I started it last year, but fractured my ankle half way through week 7. I was running over two miles nonstop when it happened.

I am doing it again now that I've been cleared by the doc to run again. I will be doing the dreaded w5d3 tomorrow (20 minute nonstop run). Yesterday I ran my first nonstop mile in 10:40. I was only suppose to run 8 minutes, but decided to see if I could do the full mile. It was almost harder to start the program this time around ecause it had been so long since I was able to do high intensity workouts. But as the weeks go on and get more challenging, I'm finding that they are almost getting easier for me to finish.

I use the c25k app by Zen Labs on my iphone. It's free, and I listen to Pandora or some other music when I run. I also use Endomondo (another free app) to tell me my distance and speed. And of course, I use my HRM to keep track of my intensity and estimated calories burned. It's funny, but I have to have all of my apps ready to go when I start. Who knew running could be so complex :laugh:

I usually do some other form of exercise on my off days - fast walks and/or some upper body.

Good luck!
  • scoobiesaan
    Options
    Haven't done the Official "Couch to 5K" program, but when I started exercising I would work out 5 days a week, 30 mins a day. If you're looking to run in a 5k, the best advice I can give you is when you start running, go slower so you can go longer. Don't go at a break neck speed during training, my going slower it will build your "distance" cardio, and get the blood release in your legs that your body will need; it's also better for your psychologically. Go get a heart rate monitor so you can measure you workout correctly and you don't overuse your heart. This will also tell you the correct caloric burn, instead of having to guess. MFP uses an estimate based on the type of workout you do, but it's just an estimate. Ran my first 5k in 35 mins, and just ran another one in 31. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 Day 1, and I love it. Honestly, I'm dying! I've never ran before, and my endurance is pitiful.

I do the program three times a week, and strength train three of my days off

This is what I do ^^ I am doing Week 2, Day 2 tomorrow and had a little trouble, but got through it. Between this, I do a strength circuit. I just keep going every other day and take a day off if my body tells me to. I don't want to plan one because I am worried it'll make me lazy.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have the app by RunDouble and I really like it. I just finished week 7 day 2 yesterday and it was awesome! The app has a built in music player so that you can listen to your own music while running. Of course, the voice isn't very motivating, unless you're like me and cheer when she tells you that you are halfway, lol. I kind of wish it would give me a 5 minutes to go or something like that.

As for the other days, I strength train.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 day 3... i ran the 26min straight the other day and I was completely fine at the end...

if you dont have a gym membership and looking for other iphone apps with great workouts try Skimble Workouts. I really like it and it kicks my butt. has a ton of workouts to choose from
  • hipslikecinders
    hipslikecinders Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad people are enjoying this podcast as I just downloaded it! Going to get started tonight. Its really good for me as I get bored when I'm running so its great to have a mini personal trainer in my ears! What do you log the runs as on the Exercise diary?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Finished it twice now on Bridge to 10K. Not being rude but if you've never ran before, remember in a few weeks that you said it was/looked easy. It can be very challenging. Yes it has rest days bc your body needs to recover. My runs were better when I followed the schedule and didn't run consecutive days or repeat throughout the week. I did other workouts on the off days. I used the app Ease into 5K which is actually 8 weeks instead of 9 and it had a gps and I loved it. It's a great program!