side items?

Options
I was planning my menu for next week and I need help! What side items, besides rice and veggies, can I plan for with my dinners? What do you fix???

Replies

• Rockstar_sister
    Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    And by veggies, I usually do frozen: mixed, California blend, or normandy blend. I am trying to use other sides because my soon made a comment at dinner last night...rice and veggies AGAIN?!?
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    Sweet potatoes or red potatoes. Veggies I do all kind of things with! I try to mix it up so it is not the same thing over and over. One of my fav is garlic mashed cauliflower! Its like potatoes but only cauliflower instead so much more healthier and few calories! Grilled asparagus is another one of my favorites. Side salads are refreshing during the summer. I get a lot of ideas from oxygen magazine, eat clean diet cookbook, and everyday paleo. Those books have some awesome healthy receipes that are fast and easy!
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Some common side dishes I enjoy are sweet potatoes, roasted chickpeas, black beans with pico de gallo, fruit, and roasted vegetables. Roasting the veggies or grilling them with a little seasoning really makes boring steamed veggies into something yummy!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'll slice up fresh vine tomatoes and have them on the side with a little seasoning.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I like to buy some fingerling potatoes, and cut them up in to little fries, and back them with a little bit of EVOO on them. Probably less calories than rice, and taste better.
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    Quinoa is a good side for me
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love to roast veggies.....brings out a great flavor (much tastier than frozen that you've nuked or boiled). Try this:

1 pkg cherry tomatoes (slice each in half)
    1 T olive oil
    Salt (I like kosher salt)
    Italian Seasoning

Toss tomatoes with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and Italian Seasoning. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Enjoy!!
  • Rockstar_sister
    Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all input, keep the ideas coming! Thanks!
  • Kcinnamon
    Kcinnamon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We do a salad, my daughter is picky, so she likes the dole southwest salad kit, I like to add cottage cheese to some lettuce and cucumbers. She also loves fruit, so we usually have that also, sliced strawberries, half an apple or orange. then we'll just have small portions of rice, pasta, stuffing, or potatoes. After eating a salad and fruit at the beginning of the meal there isn't a whole lot of room left in our stomachs anyway for a meat and other side
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of roasted carrots or lentils with salsa as sides.