I think I've plateaued! Help!

I've been on MFP for about a year now and I just checked back at my weight diary and I realized that November 2011 I weighed exactly what I weigh now. I eat 1200 calories a day. My diary is open. I do cardio for 30 minutes twice a week (though I do skip once in a while). I am 5'11" my bmi is 24.0, my body fat percentage is 26.2%. So far I've lost 26 pounds but I've hit a major block any advice?

I've heard of ziz-zagging calories but does this work?

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    From everything I've heard, zig zagging works.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Maybe you can up the work outs to 3 days 45mins. See if that will help. Looks like you are really small but you know were you need to be. Try that and see if it works. Good luck.
  • KaylaPeterson24
    KaylaPeterson24 Posts: 60 Member
    Yes I know I should do that I just really hate working out. I'm gonna try to up it though! Thanks but I still have a small pooch and I just want my stomach to be flat! I want to be able to wear a bikini haha
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Might sound weird, but eat more then you will start losing again. Your metabolism slowed down.
  • EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. Check that group out. Its saving my life.
  • KaylaPeterson24
    Thanks! I think I will try cycling my calories. Changing every other day between 2000 and 1200. Hope this helps!
  • Listen, i was in exactly the same predicament that you are in right now. Eating 1200 cals a day, exercising like a mad women.. and I've gotta tell you it sucked, especially when the scale didn't move for like 7 months. This group "Eat more to weigh less" basically explains it all. Your metabolism is damaged, and has slowed down due to the fact that you've eaten below your BMR for so long. You need to eat at your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) for 8 weeks. You may gain a few lbs during this period, but after the 8 weeks is up, you've got a new metabolism to work with. You drop your TDEE by 15% at this point and WA-LA. The weight comes off.
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Have you tried adding weights or circuit training instead of just doing cardio? I'm in love with Jillian Michaels workouts. Maybe try adding 2 of those a week to your 2 days of cardio. Muscle burns more calories :smile:
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Thanks! I think I will try cycling my calories. Changing every other day between 2000 and 1200. Hope this helps!

Dont do that just change your daily limit to 1345 or something.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html

fill out the quetions and it will tell you how to do the zig zag diet.

good luck
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Here's what's working for me.. Running! Get out and try to run. Then two days later try again. Then after 2 days.. Yep, run some more. You will go further and soon you will find your pace and will be able to run a good long way.

You will tone up and lose weight. It's working great for me.

Good Luck! -V-
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    When you plateau, you need to change up something in your routine to jump-start the weight loss. My suggestion? You definitely need more exercise than 30 mins twice a week. Five times a week would get things rolling again, and make you healthier too.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Listen, i was in exactly the same predicament that you are in right now. Eating 1200 cals a day, exercising like a mad women.. and I've gotta tell you it sucked, especially when the scale didn't move for like 7 months. This group "Eat more to weigh less" basically explains it all. Your metabolism is damaged, and has slowed down due to the fact that you've eaten below your BMR for so long. You need to eat at your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) for 8 weeks. You may gain a few lbs during this period, but after the 8 weeks is up, you've got a new metabolism to work with. You drop your TDEE by 15% at this point and WA-LA. The weight comes off.

It's "voila" not "WA-LA"
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. Check that group out. Its saving my life.

This!!!!
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Bump up the intensity and duration of your workouts. Eat more, too.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Listen, i was in exactly the same predicament that you are in right now. Eating 1200 cals a day, exercising like a mad women.. and I've gotta tell you it sucked, especially when the scale didn't move for like 7 months. This group "Eat more to weigh less" basically explains it all. Your metabolism is damaged, and has slowed down due to the fact that you've eaten below your BMR for so long. You need to eat at your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) for 8 weeks. You may gain a few lbs during this period, but after the 8 weeks is up, you've got a new metabolism to work with. You drop your TDEE by 15% at this point and WA-LA. The weight comes off.

It's "voila" not "WA-LA"

Seriously???? It's a good thing you chimed in here! :noway:
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Zig zagging works from what I hear. Also I have to suggest you eat a bit more. I hit a plateau when I was eat 1200 calories a day (I was set to lose 2 lbs a week), I changed it to 1 lb a week and in a few weeks I started loosing again.

So I'd say a combination of those two may work for you. Test it out and see if it works for you!
  • KaylaPeterson24
    Thanks so much for the help everyone! I'm definitely gonna try some of these!