I am RAVENOUS The morning after a HUGE meal...

Options
.why?? ..So irrespective of my breakfast/lunch i am hungrier the morning after eating a huge dinner?

I mean if it's LARGER than normal I wake up ravenous. Ugh!! What are your theories on the science behind this?

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    maybe because its larger than normal... your body works harder to digest it... and it wants to refuel from all that work
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    try walking around for a bit in the morning before eating breakfast. exercise increases insulin response, which allows glucose to enter your cells and be broken down for energy. it could be that your body just hasn't completely digested/absorbed everything you've eaten yet.
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    maybe the meal revved up your metabolism?
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have wondered if it is bacause your stomach gets stretched after a huge meal and it wants you to keep eating that way?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have wondered if it is bacause your stomach gets stretched after a huge meal and it wants you to keep eating that way?

That's what I've always heard. The same thing happens to me! I try to avoid eating big meals before bed for this reason, actually. I hate waking up feeling ravenous.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

That's what I've always heard. The same thing happens to me! I try to avoid eating big meals before bed for this reason, actually. I hate waking up feeling ravenous.

Hmmm--I'm more inclined to think there's a hormonal explanation--otherwise people would stretch their stomachs during a daytime feast as well and end up starving all say but that's not the case usually.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite reaction. I guess it depends on what you consider a huge meal. If you're eating a ton of calories in grains, starches, sugars, that sort of thing, even though it's high calories you're gonna be hungry by breakfast for sure. However, if you eat a ton of protein and fats and fiber and such, you will probably feel better in the morning. My last meal is always lots of meat (10-12ounces at least) and I'm never hungry in the morning at all.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm the SAME WAY!! It's SOO weird. Everyone in my family wakes up saying they're still full from dinner and I'm the exact opposite! I never knew anyone else was like that. Good to know though. I always thought it was the stomach stretching thing too.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Hmmm--I'm more inclined to think there's a hormonal explanation--otherwise people would stretch their stomachs during a daytime feast as well and end up starving all say but that's not the case usually.

There's definitely something to that. Before I got my pre-diabetes under control by changing my diet I'd have huge swings in my blood sugar. Once it returned to normal I was starving. Like eat half the kitchen hungry. This is anecdotal evidence but I wonder if it has something to do with that? It'd be interesting to see if the same ravenous appetite appeared in the morning if the large evening meal was low carb.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Same here. There has to be a scientific/chemical/hormonal explanation!
    Options
    I have the opposite reaction. I guess it depends on what you consider a huge meal. If you're eating a ton of calories in grains, starches, sugars, that sort of thing, even though it's high calories you're gonna be hungry by breakfast for sure. However, if you eat a ton of protein and fats and fiber and such, you will probably feel better in the morning. My last meal is always lots of meat (10-12ounces at least) and I'm never hungry in the morning at all.

My BF has it too and says its even when he eats all meat. Weird.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    The other evening I grilled steaks, baked some red potatoes basted with basil olive oil, had a delicious salad and some grilled squash. I ate a little more than normal for dinner but wasn't uncomfortable full.

I woke up the next morning BECAUSE my stomach was growling and I was starving. Crazy! I would like to know why as well!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem before MFP, but now that my meals are a bit smaller with snacking in between, I'm actually not hungry at all in the morning.

Im betting its just because your meal is so large. If you eat it pretty close to bedtime, that could be a part of it. I usually eat dinner between 5 and 6 and then snack later on.

Hope this helps!

Edit: What you're eating could be a big part too. If you're eating whole grains, meats, veggies, dairy (the cliched 'balanced meal') it should stay with you longer rather than mostly bread or convenience foods.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm the same if i eat a large meal i am real hungry the next day but if i were to pick through out the evening i'm not..
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My take on big time hunger growlies is that when we eat a large meal that has hidden and not so hidden sugar, our blood sugar levels spike high and fast. On the downswing, our blood sugar dips too low and that's when hunger strikes. I've noticed it with me when I ate like that.

I now eat very low sugar (due to diabetes, which I'm now off medication because of my perfect blood sugar readings) and I eat big, big meals. Fortunately, I'm not getting sugar spikes and thus I'm not hungry later on.
  • DippyDot
    DippyDot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    all replys have worth but tend to agree with sugar spikes. look to using Glycaemic index foods and excerciseing ( just walking a bit) after a hugh meal. The old english ahd it right taking a stroll after big mel.
    Options
    Well it doesn't happen in the daytime abd it occurs irrespective of macro composition--I feel like insulin is only PART of the answer. Any other thoughts?
  • wifeybriggs
    wifeybriggs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that yeah, maybe after working so hard to digest that huge meal it wants more to refuel. I have been experiencing the same confusion. I get mad when I wake up so hungry after a big dinner out or something and what makes it worse is I never have time in the mornings to have a sit downbreakfast to curb that hunger so then I feel off the rest of the day. My morning meals consist of anything I can eat in my car on my way to 7 am & 8 am meetings.