Vitamins

Options
HodderAL
HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
I am just wondering, what are people's opinions on vitamins?

I went to GNC, and the lady TOLD me that I am iron deficient, just by looking at me. She was right, I have always had problems with low iron, to which I have been on and off supplements for, for what seems like forever. She asked me to research vitamins. She said she didn't mean Centrum, or Women's One a Day, but gave me names (to which I have misplaced :ohwell: ) of ones to look into. Obviously they are carried by GNC. She was very nice, and we had a short chat about diet and weight-lifting. She seemed genuine enough and didn't really push any products on me.

However, I am wondering if this is a sales ploy? Or if there is more to it? I have a brief understanding of the importance of a well-balanced diet and making sure that we properly fuel our bodies. Do many people take additional vitamins? If so, what do you look for in a vitamin supplement? I really need to research this alot more lol I really prefer to get what I need naturally, but that isn't always possible.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My doctor took me off multivitamin (interferes with my heart meds), but I'm going to ask if I can get on a magnesium/potassium supplement to help with my dietary intake.

Iron supplements are good if you don't get enough in your diet.

If you eat whole foods and lots of fruit and veggies, you should get what you need for the most part. No extra vitamins necessary.
  • elizaberries
    Options
    vitamin C. your body needs way more than is suggested. i shoot for 350% at least. i'm a person who has a weak immune system to begin with, but vitamin c actually keeps me from getting sick. when i do get sick i take much more, 1000% a day. there are no side effects and there is no damage.
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've recently started keeping an eye on my vitamin intake, not because of any known deficiency but just because I'm still working on eating "good" food. A lot of what I eat is just junk, and I worry that as I lower my calorie goals I am starting to miss out on important nutrients.

At the moment I'm taking Centrum every day, but I'm also trying to drink low fat milk to boost my calcium. Most of my daily intake used to come from cheese :blushing:
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me to get on multivit... Becoz although we eating balanced, we still eating less, and lacking in alota essential vitamins like calcium iron and vitamin B ( which is good for metabilsim) even doctor oz said that multivit are essential if you doing a eating or workout plan!
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are definetely different opinions out there. I have heard from doctors that your body processes the vitamins in food more efficiently. Here is an article on where to get good amounts from your food: http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/healthy-eating/nutrients-you-need-10000001580735/index.html

There is also a suggestion from John Hopkins Health that only people with certain medical conditions should be taking vitamins; http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/nutrition_weight_control/benefits-of-vitamin-supplements_6131-1.html You could fall into that category if you are iron deficient.

The best thing I would say is to go to a nutritionist. Many doctors will recommend you if you are concerned about it, and they can help you pinpoint and refine your diet to help. and recommend the right supplements if you need them.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    There are definetely different opinions out there. I have heard from doctors that your body processes the vitamins in food more efficiently. Here is an article on where to get good amounts from your food: http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/healthy-eating/nutrients-you-need-10000001580735/index.html

There is also a suggestion from John Hopkins Health that only people with certain medical conditions should be taking vitamins; http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/nutrition_weight_control/benefits-of-vitamin-supplements_6131-1.html You could fall into that category if you are iron deficient.

The best thing I would say is to go to a nutritionist. Many doctors will recommend you if you are concerned about it, and they can help you pinpoint and refine your diet to help. and recommend the right supplements if you need them.

Agree with everything here, but I would recommend a dietitian over a nutritionist. Dietitians have more education and training especially as it relates to medicine-related nutritional needs.
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ah, good to know. I thought the two terms were interchangeable, thanks for the info!
  • HodderAL
    Options
    I do watch my iron intake and supplement it frequently. I find iron supplements really hard on the stomach, so I stopped taking the prescription ones and currently take an over the counter "gentle" formula when my diet is low. I also supplement B12 - doctors orders.

I also keep an eye on Vitamin C, and with diet alone I usually hit 300% or more a day easily.

I've been cleaning up my diet, and trying to get what I need that way. I really prefer to ingest natural products and cut the chemical cr4p out. It's a slow process for me, but I'll get there.

I guess educating ourselves on what our bodies need is the key :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Ah, good to know. I thought the two terms were interchangeable, thanks for the info!

Good comparison here if you're interested in the details of the differences between them: http://www.fitsugar.com/Dietitian-vs-Nutritionist-660208
  • HodderAL
    Options

Thanks for the information!! I'll definitely have to read up on it :)
  • spokaloo
    spokaloo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins daily. Vitamin B complex, C, D, Calcium, Fish Oil, and Niacin which else level out my less than shiny disposition :) I was able to listen in on a call from Janus Labs (Janus Mutual Funds) - and these were some of the vitamins she suggested. It is true that you should be able to get most of your nutrients from the food you eat - if you eat a clean and healthy diet, but let's face it... we're all busy and sometimes have to grab a quick meal. Since watching "Food Inc." - I have to admit I eat much healthier than I did before. Good luck with your supplements :smile:
  • HodderAL
    Options
    I take vitamins daily. Vitamin B complex, C, D, Calcium, Fish Oil, and Niacin which else level out my less than shiny disposition :) I was able to listen in on a call from Janus Labs (Janus Mutual Funds) - and these were some of the vitamins she suggested. It is true that you should be able to get most of your nutrients from the food you eat - if you eat a clean and healthy diet, but let's face it... we're all busy and sometimes have to grab a quick meal. Since watching "Food Inc." - I have to admit I eat much healthier than I did before. Good luck with your supplements :smile:

That's why my switch to eatting clean is so slow. With a family, school, and everything else, I can't help but sometimes grab a quick something... which is often some processed cr4p.

I haven't seen Foods Inc., I will have to look for it.