Struggling with stress. How do you cope?

Options
I use food as a coping mechanism, which is not what I need to be doing. What do you do to help relieve your stress, and the cravings? I Need tips, and fast people!!

Edit:
Besides exercise. Sometimes I am in a situation where I can not stop and exercise. What do you recommend?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Exercise! It is amazing at combating stress, particularly cardio for anti-stress, but all forms of exercise help!
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki

I'm going to quote something that a very dear MFP friend of mine told me after I gained over five pounds last week - I was under tremendous stress and just kept stuffing my face (and I felt terrible about it) and I am sure that she won't mind if I pass on her insight.

"This weight loss journey is a journey, not a race. It takes TIME to establish good habits. Overeating during times of stress is common. That is how we got fat. We have to really work at handling our stress in healthier ways. Don't you dare quit and don't beat yourself up over it. It is over and done with. Just concentrate on today because in reality that is all we have. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us."

While this doesn't give you any particular ideas about what to do, it does tell you what to think, and that's already a step in the right direction.

I'm still under a lot of stress, but I almost lost back the weight that I had gained, by focusing on how far I've already come and doing little things to try and relieve my stress. I stretch a lot and I focus on breathing deeper to stop my body from stressing up. Instead of grabbing something to eat, I drink a glass of water. My husband has a very interesting habit that helps him .... he moves his toes! According to him that fools his body into thinking that he is exercising and it gives him something to focus on and calm his nerves. That's some weird advice, and I'm not sure that there is any scientific proof for it, but he believes that it helps him.

Just think back on how far you've come - I always remember those wonderful photos that you posted after your 30 day shred. It was so encouraging! Look back on your 'before' photos and realize how far you've come. Also realize that you are human and then work at finding some way to cope. Even if you just keep from grabbing food once during the day, that's already an achievement. Acknowledge it as such and I'm sure that you will gradually get back the strength to say no every time.

Thinking of you!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple one I learned from yoga. When you feel stressed, stop what you are doing and take deep breaths in-and-out. Focus all of your attention on your breathing for a bit. I may sound silly, but it works!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    ^ This!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm a stress eater too. The only time I ever "binge" is when I'm really stressed out (it happened the other night for the first time in months).

You just have to find something to distract yourself. Food is a comfort, so do something else that comforts you. Personally I love to curl up in bed with a good book or take a hot bath. If you're actually hungry (not just "stress hungry") then eat... but make good choices. If you're craving something sweet, eat fruit. Salty, try almonds or some other nut. Or make popcorn!

It's hard and sometimes I still slip up (like the other night) but I've mostly gotten my stress cravings under control. You can do this!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    for me my doctor recommended finding the triggers of stress, learning where the point is in the stress when it becomes overwhelming, and removing myself from the situation (if possible) before it gets to that point. for me, stress comes from work and family. my family i can easily remove myself but work is harder. when I'm feeling stressed at work I take a minute, take some deep breaths, close my eyes and remember that its just work and i'll be fine i just need to let go of whatever is bothering me at the moment because in the grand scheme of things its just not worth it. basically i just try to shake it off. hope this helped a little. <3
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would have said the same thing food. Since I started my journey back in August exercise, sleep and loud music in my car seems to help with my stress.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what your schedule is that you feel you cannot stop to exercise. I certainly cannot judge that which I don't know. I will say that when I committed to exercise, I found I had more energy and hence was able to get more things done during a given day than I was before I committed to it. It sounds like your commitments have taken over your life and are causing the stress. Somehow, you have to find some way to reduce these demands -- usually by prioritizing. Even the President of the United States finds time to exercise (whether you like or dislike him is irrelevant... George W. Bush did it and so does Barack Obama)... They make it a part of their day... Making time for stress relievers such as meditation, prayer, and/or exercise is as vital as getting the things done themselves. By relieving the stress in effective ways, it makes you more able to emotionally and physically handle the situations that present themselves and hence make your work more effective... Again, I don't know your situation per se but if there is any way to cheat an hour or so.. if even from your "restless rest time", to devote to exercise, not only will it do your body good but it will also do your mind good and hence make your work time more efficient...
  • p0llyanna
    p0llyanna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're stressed at work, you can remove yourself for a few minutes quite legitimately by going to the loo. Lock yourself in the cubicle then sit down and r-e-l-a-x - close youre eyes, focus in your breathing, maybe physically tense and then relax bits of your body in turn, starting with your feet and working upwards. Utterly focus on the physical sensations, as if your life depended on it (it does!) and that will switch your racing mind off for a couple of mins. Then when you return to work, keep part of your mind focussed on awareness of your body - if you become aware of tension building up, don't try to do anything about it - simply watch it with interest. Stay aware. Maybe even exaggerate it a bit as if in a cartoon. You will quite likely find that after a very short time you begin to be amused by the exaggeration of the physical tension and your body relaxes all on its own. And all this time is time when you're not eating - result! :)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Learn to meditate. Best answer to stress ever.
  • brittbonshor
    brittbonshor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i had a bad day today and i dealt with it by crying and a 1,500 calorie binge. any advice for me? i am considering purging just so i dont feel so sick over it.. i dont know what to do
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to stop, get a pen and paper and spend 10 minutes reflecting/journalling. Maybe use a simple reflection model like 'What? So What? Now What? to help you identify what the problem really is and work out non-food related solutions.

Good luck! xx :flowerforyou:
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    smoke dat ganja
  • mzkezh
    mzkezh Posts: 74
    Options
    Thank you Nikki, I have been stressing for the last few weeks and this thread help me
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    One day at a time and if todays bad, try again tomorrow and the next day and the next day.. :-)

Also I find it helps if I keep busy, don't keep rubbish in the house (although that sometimes makes me go to the store and buy stuff and then put it ALL in because I feel bad that I bought it...) etc..

Good luck. Don't give up, just keep trying. xxx
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was so stressed out today that I did have a overload on junk foods I love.
    I ended up having 14 chocolate kisses=380cal., 4 cookies=400cal., and 11 tiny mini cookies=135cal. for those 11...
    915 calories!!
    HOWEVER, I didnt eat all those calories all at once. IT WAS SPREAD OUR FROM NOON TO EVENING.
    I did workout 3x today tho and I wasn't really over on my calories by much even eating junk...
    I guess I am like you, I am still learning. For me, its about not wanting to completely give up and my junk foods. I still have them from time to time. some days its completely controlled and others its not.
    ALL YOU CAN DO IS JUST DUST URSELF OFF AND START AGAIN THE NEXT DAY.. NEVER GIVE UP! Even if you completely over do it, like clearly I did today. NEVER STOP WORKING OUT, KEEP AT IT AND IT WILL GET BETTER :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Some things that work for me:
    -Sticking to a strict routine. Waking up, having healthy meals, and going to bed at roughly the same time every day.
    -Journaling. I process through the thoughts and once I'm done get up and try to move on with my day. I have a tumblr app on my smartphone so I can do it anywhere, anytime.
    -Volunteering. Gets my mind off myself to bigger and better things.
    -Meeting up with friends on a regular basis. For coffee, not lunch.
    -I know you said you can't exercise regularly but try to get creative. Making the time is totally worth it, even if its just with a dvd in your living room! And of course, getting outside the house to go for a walk gets you away from the kitchen! Also, if you mean sudden bouts of stress that come on at work or whatever, exercising at other times of day should make those less frequent too.
    -I don't buy unhealthy food or anything that seems bingable (except for light popcorn, where you can eat cups and cups without too much damage!)