My first diet

Options
This will be my first diet as I stayed the same weight for many years of eating rubbish and didn't gain any weight at all, up until 6 months ago, I'm not sure why I suddenly started gaining weight, but I managed to put on 22 pounds in the past 6 months.

I've never dieted in my life and I have no idea what kinds of foods I should be eating, I am quite fussy. I've thought up a meal plan but I can't think of anymore and even this meal plan might be unhealthy.

Breakfast:
A piece of fruit (Banana, apple, strawberries) or porridge

Lunch:
A salad (Lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber)

Dinner:
Chicken breast with another salad.

Snack:
Nutrigrain bar

Drinks:
Water throughout the day (Hopefully hit the 8 glasses)
Pure fruit juice with each meal (orange, apple, etc)

I like these foods but i have no idea what I'm doing, any help would be amazing.

Replies

• tolikkozak
    Options
    I am no expert but I have searched around for dieting info for myself before. Upon first glance, your diet plan seems a bit extreme. You are either only like 100 pounds or you really want to lose weight. My fear is that you will starve yourself for a day or two then binge and eat whatever you see in front of you. Use the tools that myfitnesspal has. Input your weight, height, and age; and it will tell you how much you should be eating. Being healthy is not easy, I am also struggling with it. Keep on doing research, a little at a time, and after a few months or even years, eating healthy will become second nature.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My advice is this.... Diets don't work! Having a Healthy lifestyle does. Yes, you may need to reduce your calories initially to lose the weight but what you really need to do is learn new habits, whether that is regular exercise or cutting out food that is excessive calories for little nutritional value.

Your suggested diet does look pretty extreme, and generally, carbs aren't evil, and they taste good!!
  • littlecreamsoda3
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm 124.3 pounds and I should be eating 1200 calories a day according to the tools, the problem is, I don't burn 1200 calories a day as I am stationary for 80% of the day so this concerns me, I plan on doing more workouts and riding my bike each day to the shops to get the healthy food, I just want to be able to burn more calories than i eat and avoid all empty calories.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    MFP is Great!

As someone who has lost 30lbs using MFP:

Don't think of this as a diet. Think of it as a lifestyle change as you are changing your lifestyle to become an even better, healthier version of yourself. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm 124.3 pounds and I should be eating 1200 calories a day according to the tools, the problem is, I don't burn 1200 calories a day as I am stationary for 80% of the day so this concerns me, I plan on doing more workouts and riding my bike each day to the shops to get the healthy food, I just want to be able to burn more calories than i eat and avoid all empty calories.

No no no no no..... U don't need to burn 1200 cals, you need to eat 1200 and then if you exercise you eat those extra calories too...
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    lose the fruit juice.

Add some calories from proteins. I don't know about you, but if all I had was a salad for lunch, I'd be homicidal by 3pm!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't think of this as being a diet. This is the plan for the rest of your life. This has to be sustainable for your lifetime, not the next 6 months.
    Second...how many calories does that meal plan come up at? At a glance its got to be less than 1000. This is far far too low in calories to sustain for any length of time let alone be healthy on.

I commend you for getting in lots of fruit and vegetables but there is a whole world of food out there to discover. I'm also a very fussy eater, but I'm always surprised when I try something new and find out I've been living the last 30 years saying I don't like it.

Feel free to add me as a friend or at least check out my food diary for ideas :flowerforyou:
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Don't eat back your calories. Most people have different metabolism. If you don't have problems with your metabolism thryoid then eat back your calories.. I don't eat back my calories because my metabolism and thyroid is pretty bad. And I have lost 40 pounds since I started this journey. And haven't hit a plateau either. And I will never.. and also don't worry if you don't lose weight.. you don't always lose weight every week.. A plateau is that you don't lose weight for few months..

Also diets don't work. You will get sick of it in the long run. believe me I have tried it.. I have heard that you can eat anything you want if you burn it off. But that doesn't mean eat tons of junk food. It means to eat lean and healthy.. Like fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc etc..
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like much food
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Your BMR itself is probably around 1300-1400. I'm around your weight and sedentary and still burn about 1600 cals a day just from walking around the house a bit.
  • tolikkozak
    Options
    I dont think that you have to burn off every single calorie that you eat. Walking, breathing, regular bodily functions, thinking, and etc.. they all burn calories. try to find a nutrition chart online. i think you can just google it and find it at a government website... You can find how many calories and stuff are in a lot of fruits, grains, and meats. Then see how much you normally eat. You can actually be under eating and your body stores too much as fat due to a response of your body. Or, since you said you are stationary most of your time (me too), perhaps you snack on junk food. Just replace junk food with healthy-ish food and walk around more..

When trying to figure out how much you normally eat, it helps if you know how many ounces in a cup and what a cup or 8 ounces actually looks like.. Grab a measuring cup and imagine how much you eat... It helped me a lot once I figured these things out.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You don't have to burn off every calorie you eat. You don't have much to lose so set your weight loss goal at 05.lbs per week and eat the calories it gives you plus your exercise calories.

You burn calories every day by doing nothing. If you search your BMR you will find the amount of calories your body will burn by being in bed all day and not moving at all. Calories are burnt for everything your body does. You don't have to burn off all that you eat.

You need to eat more. What you listed isn't a lot of food and having too little too often is not healthy for you and can slow down your metabolism.