Stuck in a rut - Any ideas????

Options
Hi,

I thought I'd post and see if anyone can help???
Before using this app I managed to lose 21lbs on my own by watching what I was eating and joining the gym.
I have been using this app for about 6 weeks now and my weight loss has stopped!!!!!
I go to the gym 5 x a week and have taken up muay thai boxing as well which I do once or twice a week, then on my 'rest day' i go out for a bike ride.

I thought the weight should be falling off with the exercise I'm doing now but I can't shift any!!

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Rachel

Replies

• Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    Are you measuring your waist and hips etc..? The scale is not the only way to track progress. Muscle does weigh more than fat.
  • Bennettjade
    Options
    I've seen a few people post something like this. What they will probably say is that it's because you're building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat...So i would suggest taking measurements. Do you look more fit?
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What were you doing differently prior to MFP that you are doing now as far as diet, exercise, etc? It is hard to say for certain. I do agree though- I'd check measurements!
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Exercise is excellent for health and fitness, but weight loss is really down to calories in versus calories out. If you want i'm sure people will have a look at your diary to help you work out what's going on. But you'd have to open it up first. You can also just open to your friends and ask them to have a look if you're not quite ready for that lack of privacy!!

But in any case, you are on the right track so hang in there and don't give up!
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you logging all of your exercise? Are you eating back your calories burned from exercise?
  • rachy867
    rachy867 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have been taking measurements but they are also staying the same, and I definitely have less calories going in than going out. I have increased my calories intake slightly as when i started the food diary I realised I should have been eating more than 600 calories a day, but I eat chicken breast and fish mostly as my main meals. This is so frustrating!!!
  • rachy867
    Options
    I'm struggling to eat my daily calories, let alone the ones I burn from exercise.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I'm struggling to eat my daily calories, let alone the ones I burn from exercise.

That might be your issue. You should be eating much more than 600 calories a day.
  • rachy867
    Options
    I am now, but before i started on here I was eating on average 600 calories, I now eat between 1000 and 1200 a day.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I am now, but before i started on here I was eating on average 600 calories, I now eat between 1000 and 1200 a day.

so you are eating 1000-1200, then you have to subtract cal burned from exercise. So how many calories do you net in a day?
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    hi - when i joined mfp i was eating 1200 a day which i lost for the first week and then no more. i read alot of posts and joined the eat more to weigh less group -( recomend it !) and basically i realised i need to findout my tdee (total daily expenditure so what i burn all day in 24 hours) then i subtracted 15%.
    so i bought myself a body media fir which is meant to be 90-95% accurate. i realised that the 1600 calories i thought i was burning all day was more like 2200! so from 1200 calories of food a day i now eat 1700. the scales havent budged but i put that down to me heavy lifting and water retention in my muscles but ive lost 3 inches of my waist and hips and my stomach looks toned. people have said have i lost weight and technically no. fat.. more than likely as ive lost inches.
    i would recomend you using a site like fat2fit and working out your tdee and subtracting 15%. i feel so much better eating more- less stressed, more energetic and generally healthier whilst my body is changing. if you want to message me feel free.
    A x