I am trying to start, but I keep stalling. Help.

Options
It's all kind of complicated.
I weigh 100 kg and my calorie requirements are a bit over 2000 calories, which seems like heaps. I did a few quick sums and it's like what I eat now, though I find counting calories acurately time consuming and difficult. I don't understand all the TDEE and net and deficite stuff. (I can't seem to spell right now). I need to start with something, so this is it. I need to START NOW.

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Here's some thoughts from my diary:

... I thought I weighed about 108 kg and had about 50 to lose. In my head sometimes I thought about being the "now half her size woman". Then I actually weighed myself. This was a monumentous occassion, as I haven't weighed myself for atleast two years. I was fully clothed and the scales said 100 kg. 100, what a nice round number, I like round numbers. And now instead of trying to lose half my body weight I willl go will 30 kg, which doesn't sound as near as daunting. So my goal weight is 70. Nice and round. I also have decided to do it in three 10kg stages. 10 kgs? Easy!

I am petrified of saggy baggy skin. It's actually putting me off a bit. Everytime I've lost a bit of weight my boobs deflate and get saggy. OMG Imagine if that happened to my entire body! I'd hate it, i'd rather be fat than saggy...
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm no good with the metric conversion, but I have the same fear of saggy skin myself. I am exercising and this seems to be helping this time (I have dieted before, lost weight, but never added the exercise part). My stomach is actually getting smaller. I just noticed this today. All the posters here say that you can not "spot lose" and I believe this. So, I muddle on, exercising every day - all my body. The 2000 calories sounds a bit high, unless you are super active. It takes a little while to figure out all the numbers, but, as with everything else in life, it's pretty much individual. You have to experiment a little with the numbers to find out what works for your body. Good luck!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well - hang in there! I used to way 68kgs at 16 years old.
    Just keep at it is all I can say. Keep at it, vision what you want, and push yourself. I've had off days where I thought to myself, ehhhh another day. Drag yourself out there, and start off easy.
    Once you get used to that level, ramp it up one more. Get out there and pound that pavement!! (Or get into your exercise!)
    :happy:

I'm here for you!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    ok I should exercise. Do you do cardio or weights? Due to my current circumstances I am able only to do walking, swimming or girlie weights. I am slowly muddling though. Oh I have an exercise bike though it hurts my hips a bit, I am sure it will gett better.

Thanks for the good wishes beachlover and BullRunner
  • PinkOrangeYellow
    Options
    Hi Kat... Nice to meet you :flowerforyou:

I wanted to wish you well with your weight change journey.

Do you have a phone that you can get MFP app? I find that the best way of tracking calories.

You said that 2000 cals is roughly what you eat now.... I wonder if your intake was possibly significantly higher. Before i started tracking cals, i thought my intake was way less than what it turned out to be.

My suggestion would be to track all calories, no matter how tedious or time consuming the task may seem. It gets easier and routine. after a while.

Wish you all the best and sending you friends request :smile:
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Hi PinkOrangeYellow!

I am a technophobe so no fancy phone.

I probably, well obviously eat more than 2000 calories. I am noticing that there are huge amounts of caloies in some foods that I don't realise.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The guys that I attend gym with started me off with light cardio.:happy:
    An exercise they told me that was good to begin with was treadmill work and light hand weights because it helps tone too. The other major tip (they swear by) is making sure you have good eating habits as if you do the three proportioned meals + snacks a day, the weight will melt off. :laugh:
    Thats how I began aswell :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    About the skin thing: My husband has lost over 100 lbs and I love his saggy skin because it reminds me how much healthier he is now that he's lost all the fat he was dragging around. (I wonder how he feels about my saggy skin....)

ETA: Yes, getting into the habit of logging food is a time-consuming pain. However, it gets considerably easier/quicker as you get used to it, and many people (including "experts") claim it's often an essential part to weight loss. If nothing else, it makes it so much harder to deny the truth about what you're eating. One idea is to set aside, say, 30 minutes a day (or twice a day?) to devote just to logging and/or planning food. It's a commitment that you deserve.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Do both cardio and weights. Swimming, if you are actually doing laps, is a great whole body workout. Start with whatever you can do, and gradually increase the duration and intensity. Same with the weights. Start with what you can handle and work your way up. It is not going to happen overnight, or even in a few weeks. Commit yourself to a lifelong change and monitor your progress along the way. If things don't seem to be moving in the right direction, make and adjustment and monitor how that works. Don't change up too many variables at once though, because then you won't know what is working and what is not. I would suggest finding an exercise routine that works for you, one that you will commit to consistently, and includes both cardio and weights. Then over the next 4-6 weeks adjust your diet up or down until you find the number that is going to work for you.
  • lbecker5
    lbecker5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    About the skin thing: My husband has lost over 100 lbs and I love his saggy skin because it reminds me how much healthier he is now that he's lost all the fat he was dragging around. (I wonder how he feels about my saggy skin....)

ETA: Yes, getting into the habit of logging food is a time-consuming pain. However, it gets considerably easier/quicker as you get used to it, and many people (including "experts") claim it's often an essential part to weight loss. If nothing else, it makes it so much harder to deny the truth about what you're eating. One idea is to set aside, say, 30 minutes a day (or twice a day?) to devote just to logging and/or planning food. It's a commitment that you deserve.

I LOVE This!!! :happy: