Protein

cuckston
cuckston Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hi Guys,

I need some help - I am basing my diet around calories but am also keeping a very keen eye on carbs and not trying to eat too many of these. However as I am now eating a lot of lean meat and fish like steak, salmon, chicken etc... I am eating a large ammount of protein.

I've seen by previous threads that MFP tends to work out protein a litle low but can anyone tell me what protein is and if it's bad/good to eat food high in it?

Many thanks! :happy:

Replies

• thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Protein is good.
    Helps build/feed the muscles.
    There's lots of info on here and google about Protein.

You can have more than MFP suggests.
    I've been having 40-50% of daily caloric intake as protein.
    Depends on how much you are working out/strength training.
  • Your body will find a use for the protein from building new muscle to growing hair. I am always over on my protein, It is either to be over on protein or under on calories I would rather have that protein to build lean muscle.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Lots of threads about this on here...

Basic answer is this... most women on here focus on staying low on carbs and fat, but you all eat your calories. That only leaves one place for them to come from.. PROTEIN!!!

Protein is good, and if you are sticking to a low calorie diet, you won't eat to much of it to be bad for you.
  • The recommended daily amount is .8 - 1 gram of protein per kilo of weight. If you workout a lot then that number goes up to 1.2 - 1.8 grams per kilo. I usally use 1.4 and base my calorie intake off of that.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    On weight training days I shoot for 200 grams/800 calories from protein. Rarely make it,,, it's just hard to eat that much tuna.

I'm doing great-feeling great-looking better, it's working for me. Protein is just food,,, and ya' gotta eat something.

One thing I do is try to carb load more in the morning, cereal for breakfast, Granola bar at AM snack, meat and a little rice or something for lunch. Then taper off carbs in the afternoon - fruit at PM snack (fruit-sugar-carb, yes. But it's a plum, 30 calories :bigsmile: ). Then in the evening more meats-fats, some green veggies. Then I do my workout late and supplement protein with a shake immediately after.

All within my calorie budget of course, and I'm trying to eat about 1/2 of my exercise calories nowadays. I was eating them all, but maintaining or even gaining a little (lean) weight.

Yep - pretty hard to eat too much protein. Native alaskans & siberians live on a diet of just about pure proteins and fats, cause nothing green grows up there, and they do Ok.
  • Kappie
    Kappie Posts: 1
    Yes lots of replies on your question.
    I had very similar views as some of the replies on here. I recently read a book that gave me another way to look at things. Do yourself the favour and read "The PH Miracle" it revolutionize the way we look at our typical food pyramid. We may be way off in the wrong direction, who knows?

When I follow this books suggestions I feel super good, loose weight sleep better etc etc. and its not as tough it it may seem.
This discussion has been closed.