I never tell anybody....

Options
Bluescat1
Bluescat1 Posts: 207 Member
I never tell anybody that I'm trying to lose weight, I like to see the genuine reaction from someone when they see me for the first time in a long time. It's a cool reward.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• mariaj1979
    mariaj1979 Posts: 31
    Options
    I never tell anybody that I'm trying to lose weight, I like to see the genuine reaction from someone when they see me for the first time in a long time. It's a cool reward.

What are your thoughts?

I have somewhat done the same thing, people who havent seen for a while are shocked to find I look slimmer. My best friend and I are having a reveal of our new bodies at the end of the month. Well done on your progress :D
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have only told a handful of people. Other people have started noticing though. :)
  • jonesbrookea
    Options
    I'm with you, I just wait until someone says something. It's fun to surprise someone AND get a compliment at the same time :)
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I never tell anyone either because I get a lot of negative comments such as 'you'll make yourself ill' and 'you're already skinny' (it's never slim it's always skinny)

I've only a few lbs to go and I'll be back at the weight I was in my 20s and 30s and feel healthier and fitter than I have in a long time but I find comments like these difficult to deal with.
  • Bluescat1
    Bluescat1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I feel that if you tell everybody, they feel like they have to say something to be polite.
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing!! So far people just notice I'm not pregnant anymore, but soon... very soon I'll start enjoying those NSVs I've been working so hard for.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    It's not something I advertise in real life. Only family (we are pretty much doing this together, my mom and sister and I) and my boyfriend and me best friend really know. As far as everyone else is concerned, I am just getting into activities (running, kayaking...)
  • Dra57
    Dra57 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like people round me to know. This is a lifestyle change for me and they need to change along with me!
  • applechapman
    Options
    I've said nothing except to my partner. My son sees me working out and I can see him making mental notes :)
    I figure, when there is significant loss and people comment, I'll have more of a reason to smile
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My immediate family knows and every Friday look expectantly at me for my new number (that's weigh in day!). I don't advertise it though. A really good friend (we talk on the phone daily for hours but generally only see each other every few months) was completely shocked when she stopped in. She didn't say anything to me but when she ran into my hubby after the fact she said she hardly recognized me! LOL.

We have since discussed it and she said she didn't know what to say when she saw me. Her immediate concern was that I was having a health issue. I completely understand that reaction though since I was on the other side with a different friend.

My mother drives me nuts though because she feels the need to announce it to everyone. "did you notice how much weight your sister/aunt lost, doesn't she look great?" gets old very quickly! And she says it to the same people repeatedly. They have eyes Mom!!! And it's also so akward!!
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well, people in my workplace knew because there were several of us on a program but other than that I really didn't advertise. Some people have said nothing and others have said very positive things about the weight loss. I did it very slowly this time, so it wasn't like it was a drastic change in a short amount of time.

Really, though, I'm not concerned with other people's reactions or opinions at this point. I think the difference between this time and every other time I've lost weight is that this time I did it more for health reasons than anything else.

But ultimately, yes. It's very cool when someone out of the blue says how good I look and comment on the weight loss. It's just a great bonus!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I never told anyone 12 years ago. It was fun to have folks just walk up and compliment me. And I only lost 20-25LBS. But boy could folks tell the difference.

my hubby and my sister know I'm trying to control my menopause weight gain now. But that's not something I advertise either.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My workplace had an incentive program so everyone was trying to live healthier and lose weight, but not everyone really stuck to the program. It's nice when my co-workers give me compliments without knowing the actual number of lbs I've lost (I always under-exaggerate how much I've actually lost), it proves to me that the difference can be seen on my body and not just on my scale, and it encourages me to keep working at my healthy lifestyle to continue getting compliments =P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!