Calories... Are They Kidding?!!!

Options

Replies

• Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    After being in this eating healthier watching my weight stuff for a whopping 3 weeks I can tell you a couple of things. I've tried this a number if times yet this time I feel I have the right mindset. No fads, no crazy goals, just a simple plan. Eat less, exercise more, lose weight. Like I said, simple...

The most surprising thing I have learned so far is that I had no idea how much I should be eating. The wacky diets that are all over that claim " ignore the calorie count, just take thus pill..." are nuts. If I refuse to to understand how much I Really Neec, I'll never manage my weight.

So, I have religiously post my calories and followed the guidelines and in less than a month I know I was eating
    WAY TOO MUCH. it ain't easy kids. but logging these are teaching me to eat smarter. "wow, it's that many? Guess I'll eat 1/2 the serving..."

Three weeks and 8 pounds later, i feel it might be working. Course walking the dogs twice a day helps...

The "sigh" part, I know I'll need to watch this the rest of my life to keep the weight off... I think I'm ok with that.

I'm curious if you all out there were as shocked as I was about how many calories you were consuming?

Thx,
    Scott

I was explaining this same concept to a co-worker who was commenting on my weight loss. She was full of excuses. So I told her to just count what she eats on a regular day, just to see. Anyone who does this will (or should) pause and have the same realization: It's that many? I'll eat half, or I'll substitute something. But she basically told me to go **** myself. I bring food in to work so people can taste the alternatives. I tell them the macros of everything. But this one woman refuses to even try it as if I just told her it's 3500 calories (which I'm sure she wouldn't understand as is). It's a bit frustrating when you're asked about what you're doing to lose weight, what you eat, how it's going, and when you disclose the information freely (ups and downs), it's completely disregarded as bull. Argh, Growl, Roar. I know, I know: she just isn't ready.
  • DefConJen
    DefConJen Posts: 20
    Options
    Its all the hidden calories, like finishing that half slice of toast off your child's plate, the slice of ham or nub of cheese whilst making the family sandwiches, or eating the broken biscuit (cookie for my friends in the US) when opening the packet (don'tcha know the calories all escape when the biscuit breaks! I wish!)... it goes on and on.

In fact there is a TV series in the UK called Secret Eaters each week it follows someone who can't lose weight even though they are restricting their calorie intake. Every time it is the bits & pieces or portion sizes that they are under estimating - it is eye opening.

Logging what I eat makes me think about what I am putting in my mouth, and MFP makes it easy to log.
  • TheMadRedhead1979
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has had this thought !!!!!!
    I joined about 3 weeks ago after doing Slimming World for several months and not really getting anywhere even though I was following the "diet" down to the last detail...
    3 weeks in and discovering that foods that were "good" on my previous diet are not good at all but loaded with hidden calories no wonder I wasn't getting anywhere.
    I only weighed in for my first week and couldn't believe Id lost 2lbs straight off the bat and so easily, I should of done this years ago..
    Being able to keep a diary means I have become so much more aware of the food I'm eating and how much, I can already feel a massive difference in my body so obviously taking more notice of calorie intake is doing something for me.

We can do it !!!!
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    Hello All! I am in my first week of using this site because a friend at work introduced me to it and " Calories... Are They Kidding?!!" was pretty much my first thought when I discovered what they wanted me to consume for calories in a day. I don't even get to dinner before I'm out of calories and I felt so guilty the first day I entered in my foods I decided to do 2 exercise videos and some crunches to make up for it and I was just barely in the green. I don't know if I can survive on so few calories. I feel terribly hungry by the end of the day and usually give into a snack after dinner that pushes me over my calories. Who would have thought Steak would have so many calories!!!!!!!! I need my beefy critter it's too yummy to give up. So moderation moderation moderation... the new mantra that will hopefully get me happy with my body.

If you're big on meat, look into Keto. More fat/meat. As with anything else, you must still count your calories. They just come from different foods. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :smile:
  • ashlieRN
    ashlieRN Posts: 2
    Options
    The further we (society) take ourselves away from nature the larger and more disease plagued we get. We have come from feast, famine, hunting and surviving to drive thrus, mini vans, condiments and lipitor!
  • gettinfit4god
    gettinfit4god Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I once went back and counted a "normal" day's caloric intake from before I had started counting. It was over 7000 without counting drinks. I'm pretty sure I should have been found legally insane. No wonder I ballooned to 372. Now I eat 1600 a day and I've lost 72lbs in 6 months!
  • cali798x
    cali798x Posts: 32
    Options
    Portion sizes surprised me too. It's easy to over eat by eating several portions (think spaghetti or a bowl of cereal) in one sitting. Once I started measuring things out, I was surprised at what real portion sizes were lol. No wonder I was eating so many calories in a day!

Most importantly though is the fact that we are all learning how to manage our life. I'm so thankful we have tools like MFP to help us figure out what our body needs.

Good luck to you, Scott :-)
    This is exactly how I feel!
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I was totally shocked when I learned calories in everything. From time to time, I still get shocked. I was consuming a lot more calories than I should've and I could see why I am as heavy as I am and why i stayed at the same weight for more than a year. So far, this site is working for me. I feel much more positive, which is a huge thing for me because of my depression. I sleep a lot better, even though I don't really have sleeping problems, but I just feel the difference. Also, I feel lighter, like the thinner me that's hiding inside of me! With the help of this site and the lovely community, I'm sure the thinner me will come out. (:
  • aubhob
    aubhob Posts: 25
    Options
    i could only imagine the calories i was taking in before i started logging them
  • jowyferguson
    Options
    I have to say when I first started (about 2 years ago) I was totally dismayed and surprised at how many calories, etc. was in everything I ate. I have to say that I am a bit of a cheater when it came to food in the past. I really thought exercise burned 2 to 3 times the amount of calories as it actually did. So I would "treat" myself to some high pleasure, high carb, high fat food and more than normal. Thus, even when exercising I never really saw much weight loss, although I would drop a size or two. Irregardless after first experimenting with myfitnesspal when I lost my initial 10 lbs, I realized quickly that I could no longer cheat my body anymore. My brain thought it could outsmart my metabolism. However, I learned within a week or two no matter how sophisticated my cheats were they didn't really work. So now I am fully committed to continuing my efforts for the remainder of my life. This basically means a firm commitment to logging what I eat, eating sensibly, and working out 4-5 times a week. So far I have maintained this and keep slowly losing weight/gaining muscle. I'm even okay when I plateau, because as it stands now I weigh pretty much what I did at age 14.

So while the reality is tough to swallow. I can realistically see what I have to do and without logging my food religiously I never would have been able to accept this reality.

Good luck on your hard work!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you! I can't believe how much I was eating before!! When I started MFP I was shocked at how much I used to eat and how much crap and calories were in things I ate all day long (Slurpees were a big one for me... In my head it was mostly ice, lol)

Now I really don't think I physically could eat how I used to...
  • tsaarloos
    tsaarloos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    After being in this eating healthier watching my weight stuff for a whopping 3 weeks I can tell you a couple of things. I've tried this a number if times yet this time I feel I have the right mindset. No fads, no crazy goals, just a simple plan. Eat less, exercise more, lose weight. Like I said, simple...

The most surprising thing I have learned so far is that I had no idea how much I should be eating. The wacky diets that are all over that claim " ignore the calorie count, just take thus pill..." are nuts. If I refuse to to understand how much I Really Neec, I'll never manage my weight.

So, I have religiously post my calories and followed the guidelines and in less than a month I know I was eating
    WAY TOO MUCH. it ain't easy kids. but logging these are teaching me to eat smarter. "wow, it's that many? Guess I'll eat 1/2 the serving..."

Three weeks and 8 pounds later, i feel it might be working. Course walking the dogs twice a day helps...

The "sigh" part, I know I'll need to watch this the rest of my life to keep the weight off... I think I'm ok with that.

I'm curious if you all out there were as shocked as I was about how many calories you were consuming?

Thx,
    Scott

Holy Cow, YES! I am truly amazed at the amount of food I was eating, and the quality of it too- more like the bad quailty of the stuff I was eating. I'm on 1200 calories now, but I must've been eating two and half or three times that much. But keep up the good work! I bet the longer we do this the easier it will get, especially when we start really seeing and feeling the difference.
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been at this a couple months and I still get surprised by things.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is when I went to Mad Mex with my husband for his birthday. I thought I did good by getting a chicken&vegetable chimichanga. It had all sorts of good stuff. Portobello mushrooms. Spinach. Nothing that I thought was too bad.

I got home and looked it up. It was 1100 calories. I'd managed to pick the worst thing on the menu in my bid to eat healthy. Now I look at the nutritional facts of my favorite restaurants before going. So I know what I'm going to eat even before we get there. It helps me stay on goal.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have shocks while counting cals.. eg a oreo milk shake my son kindly brought me as a treat was lovely till I put it in my counter and it was 550 cals!!! Then I went to Costa and had a red berry cooler.. mm I thought it is flavouring and ice... that'll be ok! OH NO 330 cals... No wonder our children are getting bigger and bigger! hidden calories!

I hear what you're saying but an oreo milkshake doesn't really have hidden calories. It's a milkshake with oreos. LOL!
  • venusinprogress
    venusinprogress Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same. Now that the calories are in my daily report, I cant believe how much I must have been eating before, I'm still consuming 1880 cals per day but I need to get down to 1400 and lose 600 per day in exercise. That should mean I'll lose 1.75 lbs per week. It doesnt sound a lot but if I keep it up for 30 weeks then I'll be down to my target weight. Weighing 203 lb is not pretty but I know if I keep on this site I will manage it. Next week I will get my intake down to 1400 and increase my exercise.
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes, and still am!! Like the other day my Mother-in-law got a Bran muffin and a smoothie from Tim Hortons she thought it was healthy but it was close to 600 calories!!!! I think resturants should have all their food in calories and have smaller portions. I finally found one healthy option at Wendy's and that is their new chicken Berry salad for half size is only 270 calories!!! It fills me up!!!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yep it is shocking and I havent yet mastered the whole maintenance thing. I get to goal then blitz, for example I just holidayed visiting my family, did I go sensible? No i didnt I fell straight into old habits, processed this, booze, junk and fast food... it is going to be a battle for life and I doubt very much that I will have a lightbulb moment where all will click, rather I think i will yo yo, but I dont just eat coz of food, food is so well intertwined with emotions and stuff I doubt I could pick it apart :) but I continue all the same.
  • FearTheFool
    Options
    For me it was drinks. I love coke; and would probably have a bottle 2/3 times a week. There is 200 calories in a coke. That's a kids size popcorn chicken at KFC! Same with my beloved energy drinks. Even stuff like orange juice, because juice is healthy right? Nope. Sadly not. So now I'm on flavoured water or diet coke/energy drinks if I have a drink while I'm out. True coke is saved for special occasions because I often look and think about all of the food I could have for the "cost" of the energy drink.
  • WestCoastRed
    WestCoastRed Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I started up again with this program. I'm not able to exercise because of a leg injury that's taking a bit long to heal. So I decided to watch my calories so that I don't gain weight. Oddly, when I log in everything I'm eating, I get the message that I'm "eating too little...and it could slow down my metabolism." I don't get it because I'm full and literally have to force feed myself a little extra to reach my 1200 calorie limit. Weird. This week I lost one pound. Which is better than gaining a pound I suppose.

Oh. I thought I'd mention that I've been listening to some weight loss hypnosis recordings that I bought on itunes and downloaded to my ipod. I really enjoy them because they pair the message with relaxation techniques - so I put some lovely essential oil in my diffuser, stretch out on my couch and make the itime to relax. Other times I listen as I'm drifting off to sleep at night.
  • retrospoonie
    retrospoonie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know! It's totally shocking. I have always thought that I had a pretty good idea of what I was eating, but inputting things has really opened my eyes.

For example, one package of Welch's fruit snacks are 80 calories. WHAT.