Chocolate?

Options
Anybody have any tips on how to healthily fit chocolate into my diet? I am a chocolate FREAK, and if I could eat it and not feel so guilty about it, well then that would be just wonderful. :)

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Small portions. You don't need to feel guilty about it. Just train yourself to be okay with small portions... maybe let it melt on the tongue instead of chew.

Also, try working in dark chocolate instead of milk. There are some health benefits to dark (and even milk) chocolate. They just come at a high calorie cost.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I work at a chocolate factory, so I have perfected the art of not over indulging! I constantly have a bar of dark chocolate on my desk! I allow myself 2 squares (about 100 calories) of the chocolate a day if I want it. Some days I don't have any. I make sure it is a bar of chocolate that I really like. Right now I have a bar of sea salt dark chocolate that I have been eating for about a week!

Chocolate can be part of your healthy eating. Just make sure it is good quality chocolate and dark is probably preferable. Look at your ingredients and spend a little more for your indulgence.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree - buy really good, dark chocolate. And when you eat chocolate, make it a real indulgence. Take small bites and really savor it.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Trader joe's sells 100-calorie chocolate bars, milk chocolate or dark chocolate. I didn't used to like dark that much but now I love it and it is easier to stop at just one. No need to cut it out altogether!
  • ashlieRN
    ashlieRN Posts: 2
    Options
    I am not a big chocolate fan however I have my weaknesses, people misinterpret chocolate being so called healthy because of the media hype. The truth is dark chocoalte with real cacao has antioxidants. The problem is with milk chocolate and even some dark chocolate is that it is so processed and sugar and milk fat is added. Look for at least 70% cacao... Honeslty, with all the fat that is added to most chocolate the maority of the antioxidants dont even get absorbed. Antioxidants from fruit, beans veggies and herbal tea is a way better choice! But that's not the point.

Try to make your own using real cacao powder and agave or honey. What I do is decide if I really want the treat. If I do either budget for it or expend extra energy at the gym or running. Individual wrapped treats help others but it is hard to find the healthier versions. Check out tatiannas bog she also has a great recipe for home made nutella-

http://www.lovingfit.com/nutrition/the-truth-about-dark-chocolate/
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate almost every day. I love to make a s'more as a snack on most nights. I break one graham cracker rectangle in half, put a piece of Ghiradelli dark chocolate on top, and a couple of marshmallows. It's about 160 calories total and satisfies my cravings. I generally have a pretty big sweet tooth and having Luna/Kashi bars/peanut butter/etc. helps with me avoid eating a snickers bar every day, lol. Skinny Cow turtle chocolate clusters and ice cream are great too. (A commercial for those clusters came on tv JUST as I wrote those words - creepy!)
    Moderation with things you like is always the best way to go. It's a win-win because you can enjoy what you eat and not worry about going overboard and eating too much.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the really high quality dark chocolate is not only lower in calories but chock full of nutrients too!
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for those suggestions!
  • jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    85% (or higher) dark choclate 1-2 squares now and then
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    chocolate is my weakness.. they say dark chocolate is the best for your body (ew!)
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate all the time. Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie is 86% Dark chocolate and one of the squares is only 60 cal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I get the super dark chocolate bars from Trader Joe's, break off 1/4 of it at a time, and I let each square melt in my mouth. Great way to savor it, and it's rich and delicious!