sara1786
sara1786 Posts: 101
edited September 20 in Recipes
Banana coco-brownies

Ingredients:
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup boiling water
4 egg whites
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a bowl, combine oats and boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, bananas, sugars, oil and vanilla until blended.
Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Stir in the oatmeal mixture.
Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean (do not overbake).
Cool on a wire rack.
Cut into bars.

YIELD: 4 dozen

Nutrition Facts per Serving:
51 calories
57mg sodium
0 cholesterol
10gm carbs
1 gm protein
1 gm fat

I may make these tomorrow with Greg. If you make them before me, please let me know how they are! thanks!!

Replies

• rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    sounds yum!!!I will make these over the weekend:flowerforyou:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    these sound good - healthy too!
  • bump. do you think I could use whole wheat flour?
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    OMGGG, these sound deeelish! I swore off junk for a while after today though... Guess I'll make some when I go home.
  • bump
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Oh, these sound SOOO good! :love: I can't wait to try them.. I am putting it on a must do for the weekend! Thanks for the recipe!
  • I think I'll try these this weekend - I bought too many bananas this week anyway!

Blakgarnet - I'm gonna use whole wheat flower, and am pretty sure it will work just fine. I recommend using whole wheat PASTRY flour cause it is definitely fluffier. I'm also gonna substitute applesauce for the oil!
  • everyday
    everyday Posts: 127
    bump :smile:
  • kryssy77
    kryssy77 Posts: 219
    bump
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    bump
  • sara1786
    do you think I could use whole wheat flour?

i don't see why not. probably make them healthier :happy:
  • Awesome! I have 3 bananas ready to bake tonight. :happy:
  • sara1786
    Awesome! I have 3 bananas ready to bake tonight. :happy:

sweet! let me know how they come out! I really want to make them too- just have to find the time... possibly tomorrow!! :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Sounds good, thanks for the recipe!

48 brownies out of a 13x9x2 pan? That's a small portion size. Each brownie would be barely bigger than 2"x1". I have a feeling I'd be eating 102 calorie brownies with this recipe! :laugh: But even 102 calories isn't so bad for a special treat!
  • Wow thanks for the recipe. We have brownie night every Wed. at my house. That will really come in handy for me. Now I can eat brownies instead of watching everyone else enjoying while I am drooling. :happy:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly... you're supposed to get 4 dozen (48 brownies) from a 13 x 9 inch pan? They must be TINY! :noway:
  • sara1786
    Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly... you're supposed to get 4 dozen (48 brownies) from a 13 x 9 inch pan? They must be TINY! :noway:

LOL- I didn't make this recipe-- just found it. Sorry about the size of the brownies... I didn't even think about that.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I'm thinking they must be literally bite-sized... about the size of a marshmellow. No wonder they only have 51 calories :laugh:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I'm thinking they must be literally bite-sized... about the size of a marshmellow. No wonder they only have 51 calories :laugh:

12 brownies on the 13" side, 4 brownies on the 9" side. They're about 2"x1" each. As I said in my earlier post, I'd be having 102 calorie brownies. :wink: But they do seem delicious and I'm sure I'll be trying them.
  • Hello Brownie lovers....or I should really say hi chocolate banana bread fans. :laugh:

I made these brownies almost exactly like the recipe called for. The only thing I changed was I substituted a 1/4 cup of melted Smart Balance Butter Blend in place of the oil.

Anyway, they turned out good. I wouldn't say they are excellent, but moist and a good balance of chocolate and banana. I do have the recipe saved under 'stephcheers' if you want to search them that way. I did my own calculations using the Sparkpeople site. I calculated the recipe to have 24 bars and that is a very reasonable size for the 9x13 cookie sheet I baked them in.

I came up with 95 calories per brownie and 1g of fat.

If you have bananas browning on your counter like I did....this is a great change from the ordinary banana bread.
  • sara1786
    Hello Brownie lovers....or I should really say hi chocolate banana bread fans. :laugh:

I made these brownies almost exactly like the recipe called for. The only thing I changed was I substituted a 1/4 cup of melted Smart Balance Butter Blend in place of the oil.

Anyway, they turned out good. I wouldn't say they are excellent, but moist and a good balance of chocolate and banana. I do have the recipe saved under 'stephcheers' if you want to search them that way. I did my own calculations using the Sparkpeople site. I calculated the recipe to have 24 bars and that is a very reasonable size for the 9x13 cookie sheet I baked them in.

I came up with 95 calories per brownie and 1g of fat.

If you have bananas browning on your counter like I did....this is a great change from the ordinary banana bread.

I'm glad someone was able to come up with calories for the reasonable size brownie! I still don't think 95 calories for a brownie is too bad. I'm glad they were good; sorry they weren't excellent. I think I"m going to try to make them tomorrow or Saturday- but I am going to make them with your recipe!! Thanks again for the follow up!! :smile:
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    BUMP!!
This discussion has been closed.