Hey GUYS what is your calorie count?

Options
My hubby is having trouble losing weight? He is exercising everyday for 60 minutes and eating 2000 calories. We cant figure out what is happening. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    more information is needed. height? weight? age?
  • BrendaBrinkerhoff
    Options
    He's 26, 362 pounds and 6'2''.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How long has he been doing this? What kind of exercise is he doing? What kinds of foods is he eating?
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Go here and figure up his TDEE. If he is exercising for an hour every day, his activity level should be "heavy." Once you have his TDEE, take 15% off of that, and THAT is what he should be eating. Also tell him to set his macros to 40%carbs, 30%fat and 30%protein. That should take care of things
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

sorry theres the website

EDIT: Also, since he will be eating so many calories to fuel his exercise, he should definitely try to eat as clean as possible...Try to stay away from bad carbs, sugar etc. and eat lots of fruit, veggies and lean meats. But you probably already know that :)
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise? If he's lifting weights, or even if he's just fairly new to exercise, he may be replacing fat weight with muscle weight... which isn't a bad thing. If he's doing a lot of exercise, it might be worth investing in a body fat measuring device, such as some of those electrode scales, to get a real sense of whether he's progressing or not.
  • BrendaBrinkerhoff
    Options
    He hasn't been going for long, about a week and a half. The problem is he is getting discouraged.
    He works out on the elliptical.
    He is eating what is within his calorie range. I mean he doesn't eat to many fatty foods.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    2000? for the amount of exercise he is doing he is not eating enough. I weigh 312, almost same height 6'3, a little older and I average 2600-2900 on days I don't exercise.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Also, do you mean it's just slower weight loss than he wants? Or is he not losing weight at all?
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    He hasn't been going for long, about a week and a half. The problem is he is getting discouraged.
    He works out on the elliptical.
    He is eating what is within his calorie range. I mean he doesn't eat to many fatty foods.

The other option is to get a heart-rate monitor to get a proper estimate of the calories he's burning off exercising. I find this site overestimates exercise calories quite heavily compared to my HRM.

But yeah, I agree with what someone else said that it sounds like he's undereating with those figures you provided.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    He needs a gram of protein for every pound he is. That should help a lot. I would at least aim for .75g of protein per pound if it is too much protein.
  • BrendaBrinkerhoff
    Options
    Our elliptical has settings on it so we can put in our weight age and height. We don't use the site to calculate for us.
  • stormous
    stormous Posts: 8
    Options
    mine is 1400 cal.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Um this may sound odd but he has to EAT MORE! Men typically need to consume while on a diet 2600-3000 calories. As they burn it much faster then woman do ne ways. Hint: Y they always lose weight faster then girls IF they are eating correctly and working out. Trust me it works.. Cuz last month I had my boyfriend doin Insanity with me eating around 2600-3000 calories and sure enough, He lost all his weight super fast It kinda honestly, Discouraged me as I have been doin Insanity for almost 2 months now and Only lost 4 pounds :/
    I eat around 1800-2000 per day so yea ur boyfriend needs to eat more!!!!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Okay, since he is new to this there is a couple things you need to think about. Is he weighing and measuring his food? It is very easy to overestimate what a cup looks like or 100 grams. Measuring cups and a food scale are worthwhile investments. Is he watching his sodium intake? Excess sodium=water retention. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to see results! Hope it turns around for him soon. My guess is that if he sticks with it, he will start to see some movement on the scale soon.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 2870 calories per day. My activity level is moderate to heavy workload every week.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    1. Follow the links to figure out his TDEE. Follow the results
    2. Don't let him look at the scale . . . maybe once a month.

There are so many variables here that affect the scale that these early results are almost irrelevant at the beginning of a weight loss program. Water retention, muscle, poop, whatnot. He wants to lose fat, but the scale isn't going to differentiate between the 3 lbs of fat he lost vs. the 2 lbs of water he drank and the 1lb of indigestibles still in his body. Weight can vary from hour to hour during the day--my own range is about 5-6lbs . . . between 6 am and 6 pm.

Do a "Day 1" weigh-in first thing in the morning, before eating. Then do another on Day 30, also first thing in the morning. It's the only sensible way to do these things.
  • csndrsn
    csndrsn Posts: 12
    Options
    I can't tell you all of the specifics about losing weight as I'm still figuring that out myself, but what I can tell you, or rather tell your husband, is that you should NEVER give up. I used to be easily discouraged. I had always been a really petite person, and when I started gaining weight after having children, I figured I would naturally go back to my original size...easier said than done. Also, when I was really small, I ate everything I wanted and never gain a pound. Well, I'm a living witness that nothing stays the same. However, when I was small, I was super active. ...always doing something. I found that my problem since gaining weight was that my lifestyle has become somewhat sedentary. I have given up on weightloss several times within the last 4 years. I start doing better then I slack off completely. This time I am determined it will be different. I watch what I eat, but I don't forbid myself from eating things I enjoy. I try to work out at least 5 days a week (really intense). Right now, I'm trying to focus on walking more b/c though I do Zumba and kickboxing, I don't do a lot of walking. I've been a member on MFP for about 3 weeks, and I have lost 3 lbs so far so I'm on target. My advice is to take one day at a time, and if the scale is discouraging him, stop using it for a while. Remember, this is about more than weigh loss, but about a new, healthy lifestyle. The weight will come off eventually. While he's feeling discouraged, make sure you stay encouraged and give him all of your support.

Wishing you well,
    Crys