What Kind of Sunscreen/Sunblock Do You Use?

Options
ValerieMartini2Olives
ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
Got a favorite brand? I want to find a really good one. I have a half sleeve that is super bold and vibrant.

Oh and I wanna protect my non-tattooed skin.

Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump.

(sorry to not be helpful, but i get overwhelmed reading those reviews on the Environmental Working Group site. the claim is that some chemical sunblocks mimic hormones, yet the mineral sunblocks are kind of funny. funny in that i am olive and it looks like i rolled around in chalk dust. i'm okay looking like that, but am not sure if is good 'coverage' - lolz!)
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use anything from Hawaiian Tropic SPF 15-30 mixed with tanning lotion since I work at a tanning salon. You can get really good tanning lotion for cheap from tansforless(:
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    My tanning lotion has some SPF in it (Jergens daily moisturizing) but when I know I'll be out for a while, then I also put on Ocean Potion SPF 30 Anti-Aging stuff. A friend left it behind and it SMELLS SO GOOD. Otherwise it's Coppertone Sport SPF 50
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm a very fair skinned x-red head ( my hair has darkened over the years) with tatts. I swear by Banana Boat Sport 30 or 50 depending on where I am. I wont use anything else. And it aint so easy finding it in the UK.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I use Boots own brand 40+ spray stuff. I don't even sunbathe though, I wear that if I am sitting in the shade.

No tans here please!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm not brand specific but I love the auto spray ones bc it's gets the areas I can't reach and they're not greasy and takes less than a minute. I recently bought a so called "sport" one for my runs bc it's not suppose to wear out with sweat.
  • christamt
    christamt Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Banana Boat for Babies is the BEST!
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have really sensitive/fair skin so I use neutrogena 110 spf. I find shade where ever I can and try not to be out to long in the sun.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a redhead, I use spf 50. I already had moles that had to be removed, I worship the sun but I so it safely. My brand is Hawaiian tropic.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am a fair skinned red head. I am currently using baby coppertone SPF 75 for daily use and on heavy sun days I buy SPF 100 not always easy to find, so I am not brand specific but prefer coppertone or any sport/waterproof, but it is worth the search otherwise I will burn in 30 minutes or less.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    For my tattoos I use an SPF 100 to prevent fading but everywhere else I use a tanning lotion that has an SPF of 30 or higher due to me having light eyes and people with light eyes have a higher chance to get skin cancer.
  • kristank03
    kristank03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been using MDSolarSciences. I like the Mineral Gel for my face and the Quick Dry body spray for the rest. It's pricey, but it works well and doesn't contain oxybenzone! I order mine from Amazon.

http://mdsolarsciences.com/
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been using MDSolarSciences. I like the Mineral Gel for my face and the Quick Dry body spray for the rest. It's pricey, but it works well and doesn't contain oxybenzone! I order mine from Amazon.

http://mdsolarsciences.com/

Hehe, I use baby sunscreen, factor 50.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Coconut Oil. Lotions and spray-on stuff tends to clog my pores and I burn anyway if it was put on too thinly in some areas. I've never burned with the coconut oil and it can go in my hair to prevent scalp sunburn. On my tattoo I use Tattoo Goo's Tattoo Protection Color Guard with 30 SPF.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Banana Boat Sport Sunblock. I'm waiting to buy new Sun Screen until the new FDA labeling rules go into effect this year so I can really know what I'm buying.
  • kristank03
    kristank03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've read that coconut oil is a good natural sunblock, but that it's only SPF 4 and only last for 40 mins? Any thoughts? I've been using virgin coconut oil for a body lotion for a while now and love it!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Nivea as my son is allergic to creams and has to have the oil spray stuff. But I am getting tan lines, despite having worn at least F 15 all spring. It's annoying, I have a ball dress to wear in a few weeks.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    bumping this...looking for good brands/opinions too, after reading the article about the whole hormone-like chemicals/carcinogen thing. Was looking at opinions on Alba products.

I do find it funny that half of coppertone's products are on the "wall of shame/dangerous" and then the others are "recommended/top products". Oh and how supposedly sprays supposedly increase cancer risks, but half the spray sunblocks have an "American Cancer Society" approval decal on them.

I am sooooooo confused!!!! :ohwell: :grumble:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    None, I'm already tan year long so I never need it. I also slightly believe it causes cancer (don't make fun of me for it!)

I've read that coconut oil is a good natural sunblock, but that it's only SPF 4 and only last for 40 mins? Any thoughts? I've been using virgin coconut oil for a body lotion for a while now and love it!

If I actually tan on my roof to get darker I do this. I'm not sure if the natural sunblock is true but it makes me a nice toasty even color and smells really good.