brown rice anyone

Options
is brown rice a good diet food and does anyone know the nutrition values? i don't usually eat rice at all or bread or anything like that but just wondering. is it nice to eat on it's own? i.e. no sauces

Replies

• kittykat201111111
    Options
    rice is a great source of fibre and is very healthy good diet food just have approx 100g serving with fish or chicken lovely makes a change from veg x
  • elizabethwolf
    Options
    oh okay, what about the calories?
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Its very good for u . But i cant stand it
  • elizabethwolf
    Options
    haha i like the honest reply! Is the taste different to white rice?
  • sweetpea1ss
    Options
    taste nothing like white rice but is much heathier for you i dont like the taste any ideas on how to make it have a taste i think it is sooo blan(sorry i cant spell)
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, do not eat basmati rice. it's loaded with calories.

brown rice is more earthy than white rice, and i typically prefer it over white. the texture isn't quite as mushy, and tends to keep you full for longer, too.
  • kittykat201111111
    Options
    think its about 80 cals for 100g
    i try to do low carb and i incoperate into my diet ive been naughty recently got back off honey mood and have gained 10lbs in 2 months!!! i really toned and lost inchs for wedding but i wanna loose it off scales as well so am really going for it this time healthy eating and exercise :)
  • johnsummerton
    Options
    I love white Rice always eating it . Brown Rice different texture and taste
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    it is much more satisfying than white rice. Not sure on the calories. I will look it up and report back!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Hi again,
    if my info is right, brown rice is about 15 cals per 100g dry than white rice of same brand. white is 354 cals and brown wholegrain is 370 ish. You would need to verify this as I am a bit tired.
    The point is the fact that white rice is empty calories, whereas the wholegrain rice is good for nutrients.
    Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • johnsummerton
    Options
    All above is true etc still tastes awful . They dont Eat Brown Rice in india Not the fattest nation in the world.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

brown rice is more earthy than white rice, and i typically prefer it over white. the texture isn't quite as mushy, and tends to keep you full for longer, too.

I only use brown basmatti rice. It's not 'loaded with calories' unless your taking about pilau rice which is. Normal brown basmatti has the same calories as ordinary brown rice.
  • susiesweets
    Options
    Brown Rice is healthier according to the experts because it takes longer to digest and doesn't just turn into glucose in the bloodstream or something like that. I do know that I tried to do wild rice which was like eating twigs and very Earthy in a bad way. Brown rice is better but still hard and has more of a crunch to it. It tastes horrible on it's own in my opinion (sort of like smelly gym socks and cardboard). I stick to eating white rice because lets face it ... it's worth the extra calories if you care about taste. I try to add a salad to dinner if I have a rice side dish to help me limit how much of it I eat.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's amazing stuff in a salad. Cook a portion of brown rice. Let it cool. Add the following:
    chopped spring onion
    tinned sweetcorn
    cooked peas
    diced red pepper
    black olives
    diced feta cheese
    handful of chopped coriander leaves
    A shake of olive oil
    A shake of balsamic vinegar

Nom. Nom!
    The rice is slightly crunchy and textured, and has a wonderfully nutty taste. Enjoy!
  • Minifeet
    Minifeet Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Basmati rice is no higher in calories than other rice.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I only use brown basmatti rice. It's not 'loaded with calories' unless your taking about pilau rice which is. Normal brown basmatti has the same calories as ordinary brown rice.

This. Yes, seriously...where did you hear that basmati was "loaded with calories"? It's delicious, if that's what they meant! The same as other varieties of brown rice, with a more delicate texture and fragrant aroma. Because rice is generally not eaten plain but as a base for the more flavorful part of the meal, you just need to watch the fat and cal content of what you put ON it...and eat a cup or less (cooked) to stay low in cals/carbs.
  • johnsummerton
    Options
    Basmati Prince of rices
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brown rice.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Short grain brown rice is a bit harder to find than long grain brown rice, but I think it tastes much better!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! Thanks.