Any suggestions? PLEASE

Options
I have been on MFP since the end of January. Within the first week I lost 7 lbs, and over the next 3 weeks I lost 4 lbs, but since my weight has been at a standstill. I have not lost inches either which makes this extremely frustrating. I am 23, 5'2 and weigh 174. I work out 6 days a week for at least an hour each time. My workouts include walking, several Tae Bo videos, Turbo Jam, Cardio Sculpt, and The Biggest Loser Power Sculpt and Cardio Max. I try to mix it up as much as possible so that my body doesn't get used to any one workout. I invested in a heart rate monitor to accurately track calorie burn. The majority of the time I have been on this site I have followed 1200 calories plus any exercise calories. Last week I decided to up my calories to 1380 plus exercise calories to see if that made a difference, however, it did not. I am so frustrated. I am working my butt off, not making excuses, yet am seeing no results. It is taking a toll on me mentally. My doctor recommended I see a nutritionist as she didn't see anything I was missing, but I am in the process of moving and won't be able to see a nutritionist for a month or two. So I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this and what has helped you?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have been on MFP since the end of January. Within the first week I lost 7 lbs, and over the next 3 weeks I lost 4 lbs, but since my weight has been at a standstill. I have not lost inches either which makes this extremely frustrating. I am 23, 5'2 and weigh 174. I work out 6 days a week for at least an hour each time. My workouts include walking, several Tae Bo videos, Turbo Jam, Cardio Sculpt, and The Biggest Loser Power Sculpt and Cardio Max. I try to mix it up as much as possible so that my body doesn't get used to any one workout. I invested in a heart rate monitor to accurately track calorie burn. The majority of the time I have been on this site I have followed 1200 calories plus any exercise calories. Last week I decided to up my calories to 1380 plus exercise calories to see if that made a difference, however, it did not. I am so frustrated. I am working my butt off, not making excuses, yet am seeing no results. It is taking a toll on me mentally. My doctor recommended I see a nutritionist as she didn't see anything I was missing, but I am in the process of moving and won't be able to see a nutritionist for a month or two. So I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this and what has helped you?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I would follow your doctors advice absolutely. The numbers don't sound right too me, so you may need expert help. Something seems out of the ordinary. Maybe just my imagination, but something sounds odd to me.
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Yea something seems odd to me too! It doesn't make sense and is incredibly frustrating!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • jcummings69
    Options
    I actually got it tested on Friday. They said they would call me yesterday if something was wrong, but I never heard from them so I'm assuming my thyroid is fine.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I actually got it tested on Friday. They said they would call me yesterday if something was wrong, but I never heard from them so I'm assuming my thyroid is fine.

I would call and confirm. Also, thyroid isn't the only reason your body chemistry could be off. You're doctor did your blood work right? What were your numbers? If you don't mind me asking.
  • jcummings69
    Options

I would call and confirm. Also, thyroid isn't the only reason your body chemistry could be off. You're doctor did your blood work right? What were your numbers? If you don't mind me asking.

I have a message into them to call me. What numbers are you referring to??
  • banks1850
    Options

I have a message into them to call me. What numbers are you referring to??

Oh sorry, the numbers from your blood work. If your cholestorol, LDL and Triglycerides are high, it may be an indicator of plaque and internal fat deposits, that you can't see.
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Oh well I don't think she checked all of that just my thyroid. Should she have? My doctor is a flake and I honestly I would have found another doctor but I am in the process of moving out of state and didn't want to go through the process of finding another doctor to only be able to see them once.
  • atirnnap
    atirnnap Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First of all, what type of calories are you eating? Are they all high fat calories (fast food)? Are you eating a well-balanced meal (meat, bread, dairy, fruits and vegetables)? Are you measuring your food intake? Do you have a food scale? Are you drinking at least 64 oz water a day?

Next....exercise. My opinion, for what it's worth, is you're doing too much. Get back to the basics. Try walking, and just walking, for 30 minutes a day for 5-6 days per week. Get an accurate estimate of your walking speed so your excercise log/calories burned is accurate.

I speak from experience, at least what is working for me. When I started MFP mid-January, I was 193.5 pounds at 5'6". To date, I have lost 19.5 pounds and down from a size 16 to a size 12!!!!:bigsmile:
  • jcummings69
    Options
    First of all, what type of calories are you eating? Are they all high fat calories (fast food)? Are you eating a well-balanced meal (meat, bread, dairy, fruits and vegetables)? Are you measuring your food intake? Do you have a food scale? Are you drinking at least 64 oz water a day?

Next....exercise. My opinion, for what it's worth, is you're doing too much. Get back to the basics. Try walking, and just walking, for 30 minutes a day for 5-6 days per week. Get an accurate estimate of your walking speed so your excercise log/calories burned is accurate.

I speak from experience, at least what is working for me. When I started MFP mid-January, I was 193.5 pounds at 5'6". To date, I have lost 19.5 pounds and down from a size 16 to a size 12!!!!:bigsmile:

I don't eat fast food, never really have but on rare occasions. I mostly eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole wheat, etc. I measure EVERYTHING, well except my water consumption, but I drink water all day long so I'm sure I'm good on the water.

I think I may try cutting back on exercise as you are not the first to recommend this to me. It is just hard seeing how much everyone else is doing, and with me not losing I just keep thinking I need to do more.

Congrats on your weight loss by the way!
  • fi-nz
    fi-nz Posts: 24
    Options
    Another suggestion would be to get your dr to check you for polycystic ovaries - this causes so many things that affect you losing weight - trust me I know ! There's so many variables sounds like your best bet is to wait for your move and get a new dr as there's so many tests they can be doing for you.