Thinking about becoming a Personal Trainer...

Options
So, are you one?
Do you know one?
Would you be willing to pay one?
If so, what strong points would you want your personal trainer to have?
Do you find them pointless?

Tell me what you think... :)

About me:
I graduated highschool and got married a few months after. I was never told to do something with my life. In fact just the opposite. The end of the world was coming and I was supposed to spend my time praying and being right with God. Thanks for that Mom and Dad and stupid religion. Back to the point. Im going be 35 next month, and I feel like I am wasting a perfectly good life. I have thought about what I want to do...what I want to "be" (aside from a wife and mother) and helping people get healthy makes me happy. So I'm stepping out into a big world that I don't know a lot about. I need encouragement and help. I don't want to whimp out...

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    i am not one.
    i do know a couple.
    i would be willing to pay the right one.
    i would be most interested in a trainer that knows what women are capable of and how to train me to be strong, not teach me how to be a gym bunny. i'd like someone who is innovative and who can push me without insulting my abilities.
    i think trainers who get stuck in typical 'gym' routines can be pointless.

good luck! i'm glad you've decided to take back your life :)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ^^^A thank you!! :)
  • Tanyaclare
    Tanyaclare Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do pay one, expensive but the best money I have spent, if you have the right motiivation and drive then go for it, people do pay x
  • tmtorres31
    tmtorres31 Posts: 10
    Options
    I pay one. He is wonderful and worth every penny. One thing I would look into is certifications and education. I like that mine has a good understanding of the body and how things should be done properly. He has been involved with sports most of his life and after going to college continued to get educated to better his understanding of fitness training. Good luck!
  • concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am going to school to become one after I finish Upgrading.
    I would be willing to pay the right one, but not all trainers are created equal. Some trainers are completely useless and offer completely useless/crappy/unhealthy advice and are just in it for the short term pay day and not the best interests of their clients. I also hate highly commercialized trainers that do nothing but push supplements that they endorse and etc.
    I plan to cater to people with similar beliefs to myself, and focus strongly on women, strength training, and fighting the childhood obesity epidemic through encouraging healthy habits and exercise not cheap gimmicks. I also plan on instructing, and possibly one day creating my own Prenatal fitness classes, and Mommy & Me type classes to encourage a healthier lifestyle for every member of the family from Day 1!
    The industry is highly competitive, and highly looks based from what I have noticed, you have to have it to make other people want it, and you can't expect clients to do something that you can't do yourself.
  • starracer23
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone...keep it coming :)

I am doing research right now on a good course/class/classes to take. Along with certifications.

I had very similar thoughts, concerto3 - about children and eating well and it all starts in the early years!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I use a personal trainer for strength training, and I chose him as he's a big guy that lifts weights, works hard and looked like he would break my fall if I stacked it. I spent a fair bit of time picking the right trainer as I wanted to make sure that I would get exactly what I wanted from our sessions as they are quite expensive. We have been working together for a few months and I would not be happy if for any reason I had to find another trainer.

When I started out on this journey I did use a female trainer for a while, but I found that there was no real theme to our work outs and she didn't really listen to what I was telling her. I was also twice her size, and was always worried that she would not have the ability to stop me falling or of if I dropped a heavy weight. Due to this, I would struggle to work with a female trainer going forward, unless she was bigger than me (I am 5 ft 10 in and large framed).

I do think that people think that just being good at sport / exercise is all you need to be a good trainer, but I have come to realise that a good trainer has to be very flexible with the hours they work, be a great listener (I hear so many MFP pals complaining about trainers that don't listen to what they are saying), and be able to aniticipate what a client needs going forward.

If you do go on to become a personal trainer, I wish you well.
  • starracer23
    Options
    The reason that I figured it would be a good fit was since I have started to get healthy A LOT of people in my life have as well. I get told that I'm a big inspiration and motivation and encourager. I get all giddy when I hear so and so lost x amount of lbs. I enjoy helping my friends find the right routine for them. I also enjoy kicking my *kitten* at the gym...so the more the merrier ;)
  • brokenartist
    brokenartist Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The reason that I figured it would be a good fit was since I have started to get healthy A LOT of people in my life have as well. I get told that I'm a big inspiration and motivation and encourager. I get all giddy when I hear so and so lost x amount of lbs. I enjoy helping my friends find the right routine for them. I also enjoy kicking my *kitten* at the gym...so the more the merrier ;)

You are the reason we eat better as a family, the reason I have stuck with the working out and desire to be toned and Song of Salomon sexy. You are awesome and I will support you in whatever it takes. I think you would be awesome as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. Get it done babe!
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    So, are you one?
    Do you know one?
    Would you be willing to pay one?
    If so, what strong points would you want your personal trainer to have?
    Do you find them pointless?

Tell me what you think... :)

About me:
    I graduated highschool and got married a few months after. I was never told to do something with my life. In fact just the opposite. The end of the world was coming and I was supposed to spend my time praying and being right with God. Thanks for that Mom and Dad and stupid religion. Back to the point. Im going be 35 next month, and I feel like I am wasting a perfectly good life. I have thought about what I want to do...what I want to "be" (aside from a wife and mother) and helping people get healthy makes me happy. So I'm stepping out into a big world that I don't know a lot about. I need encouragement and help. I don't want to whimp out...

Not one, but know a few. I actually paid for one before and he was pretty good! It was me and my lack of commitment. I'd want one to think outside the box and I believe they're QUITE helpful if you have the right one that will motivate you and work on a solution for YOUR body type.

Religion is a good thing, but as with all things, it has its place. I hope you've found peace and are happy now! :bigsmile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    in australia we have the option to do it through either AIF (a 12 week course) or TAFE (a 1 year course but a LOT cheaper) as I am poor I decided to do the one at TAFE, and will be just finishing up my cert 3 next week. Cert 4 next semester and will then decide whether to go onto my diploma or not. :)

Whereas we also learn a LOT more at TAFE than AIF and we volunteer in the schools gym with clients, so we learn about everything first hand.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym ROCK! They do individual personal training, small group training, and large class instruction. They are so inspirational, warm, really care, and also happen to know what they're doing -- and have lived it themselves. One is young enough to be my son, and if he was, I would be so proud of him (and I told him so the other day). If it makes your heart sing, do it! What could be better than doing something you love that you know works first-hand and inspiring people to live healthier better lives. You will help change them for the better. If your parents aren't supportive, well, there are others who are. I support you 100%. Go for it!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    We were raised the same way! Lol and I just turned 35 and still have no idea what wIant to do with my life! Aargh! I enjoy having a trainer! I just recently hired one and he helps me work all of my different muscles in ways I never would have thought about. I enjoy learning about exercise physiology from him too, as he has a degree in it. If you feel it is something you would be good at it and enjoy, why not! :)