VERY FEW CALORIES BURNED

Options
Why when working out with a heart rate of 165 am I burning so few calories? Could a diet high in protein but low in fat and carbs have anything to do with this?

Replies

• Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Calculate it all out by hand if you don't think your heart-rate monitor is accurate (If you're using one on a machine then it probably isn't).
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Also if u have caffeine or smoke it can change ur heart rate
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Why when working out with a heart rate of 165 am I burning so few calories? Could a diet high in protein but low in fat and carbs have anything to do with this?

What does "so few" mean? Can you give us some examples?
  • blhenn
    blhenn Posts: 10
    Options
    Are you using a HR monitor that takes into account your height/weight/age and sex? If you are a smaller person then you will burn less even during intense workout. I have a resting HR of 54, I am 5 foot 1 inch tall female with a weight of 113 lbs. I do Insanity and wearing my HR monitor and my average HR is 165. I burn around 200 calories per workout where heavier people burn 500-600 or more calories doing the same exact workout with the same HR.
  • canichange
    canichange Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HR monitor that takes into account your height/weight/age and sex? If you are a smaller person then you will burn less even during intense workout. I have a resting HR of 54, I am 5 foot 1 inch tall female with a weight of 113 lbs. I do Insanity and wearing my HR monitor and my average HR is 165. I burn around 200 calories per workout where heavier people burn 500-600 or more calories doing the same exact workout with the same HR.
  • canichange
    canichange Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is good to know. I am the same height and weight as you and we are burning about the same amount of calories.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're burning fewer calories cus you're tiny. that means it takes less calories to move you around at 165 heart rate than it does to move someone like me around at the same heart rate.

if you want to burn more calories then gain more weight :laugh: i wouldnt recommend it though
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    well give us some examples
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    very few calories are burned if you're already pretty "fit" or if you're already small.