Could I use cream cheese instead of butter in cake?

Options
wasveganvictoria88
wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
I have this recipe:

120g s.r. flour
120g butter
120g sugar
2 eggs
1tbsp milk

Can I sub the butter for cream cheese? Would this work?

Also can I use egg whites? Like 3 instead of 2 whole?

P.s....I'm not a vegan anymore :)

Replies

• jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I've seen people substitute no sugar added applesauce, mashed sweet potato, or pumpkin for butter. I've never heard of using cream cheese.
  • Beebes99
    Beebes99 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try applesauce...I've heard its a good substitute! Never heard of cream cheese....but hey....who says you cant. Give it a try and let us all know! Good luck!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've seen people substitute no sugar added applesauce, mashed sweet potato, or pumpkin for butter. I've never heard of using cream cheese.

I do applesauce all the time and it woks great!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of cream cheese but personally I substitute 0% greek yogurt, unsweetened applesauce or reduced fat sour cream for the oil/butter in recipes. If you don't want to drastically change the consistency I suggest only substituting half the butter/oil that the recipes calls for.

Egg whites for eggs should be a simple enough switch. I would think 1 for 1 would be fine but I'm not sure. If I don't want to use whole eggs I usually buy reddi egg or other real egg products.
  • psychofantasy
    Options
    Longtime baker here...cream cheese wouldn't be a good sub for butter - your cake would be moist, but extremely crumbly and difficult to eat without falling apart, but I agree with the others - pumpkin, mashed sweet potato, and applesauce make good subs, as well as prunes pureed with a little water...hope this helps!

P*S**Use 4 egg whites in place of two whole eggs - always sub 1 egg white for 1 yolk.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i've subbed yogurt for butter and it works really well. i usually don't sub 100%, though, because a little butter never hurt anybody, but often times yogurt will do the trick. i'd be interested to hear if the cream cheese would work; i don't see why not.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    Options
    Thank you guys
  • wasveganvictoria88
    Options
    Longtime baker here...cream cheese wouldn't be a good sub for butter - your cake would be moist, but extremely crumbly and difficult to eat without falling apart, but I agree with the others - pumpkin, mashed sweet potato, and applesauce make good subs, as well as prunes pureed with a little water...hope this helps!

Oh thank you!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I have used Cream Cheese...it is higher calorie than applesauce, but the fats bind the cake together better and it tastes amazing!! It does have to be completely melted and soft though. I do like pumpkin though...it has a great taste especially in chocolate cake. I also use egg whites only...you would use 1/4 cup egg whites for an egg if you are using from the carton or sub the whites from 3 eggs. For a vegan alternative, try 1 TBSP milled flaxseed mixed in 4 TBSP water.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    oops dupliccate post
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This link may also be helpful, all the substitutes of greek yogurt for various ingredients:
    http://chobani.com/blog/?p=1986

Chobani-Conversion-Chart_web_final1.png
  • psychofantasy
    Options
    I have used Cream Cheese...it is higher calorie than applesauce, but the fats bind the cake together better and it tastes amazing!!

Wow I had a very different experience :-) This just goes to show how temperamental cakes can be :happy:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    I have used Cream Cheese...it is higher calorie than applesauce, but the fats bind the cake together better and it tastes amazing!!

Wow I had a very different experience :-) This just goes to show how temperamental cakes can be :happy:

Did you melt it first? That's what I did, and it worked great. Keep in mind, I used it as a Poke cake though....when it was done, I poked holes in it with a wooden spoon, then took lemon jello and poured it onto the cake. I then topped it with whipped cream. Super yum!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You can use canned pumpkin in the place of oil and eggs in a cake mix. Comes out very moist.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    This is great...will be very useful! :happy:
    This link may also be helpful, all the substitutes of greek yogurt for various ingredients:
    http://chobani.com/blog/?p=1986

Chobani-Conversion-Chart_web_final1.png
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can try. A popular option is the equivalent amount of applesauce, or smashed bananas. You could also try some greek nonfat yogurt as well. My worry is cream cheese may be a little too thick.
  • cinnamon_gurl
    Options
    Just send me some of the cake. I will sample it and let you know how it worked :tongue: