Advice needed on fat burning diet!

Options
Hello all,

I need some advice on my diet and I thought about asking the MFP fam!! Now I know most people would just say search the forum but in my experience this never works thence this post. So let me put some meat on the bones so to speak……

I started using MFP at the start of 2012 weighting 272lbs. I’m 32 and 6ft 6”. I now weight 227lbs, losing 45lbs in total. I’m really really pleased with this.

I don’t want to lose any more weight; quite a few people have commented that I’m starting to look gaunt. Now, here is my issue. I still have a beer belly and I want this gone.

I’ve just completed the NHS Couch25k running plan and really enjoyed this. Come September I will be playing Rugby when the new season starts. I’m looking to start doing circuit training as I know that I need to burn/tone stomach fat but I need some diet advice.

What should I be eating to assist in burning fat? Should I be following a particular diet plan? I’ve been looking at various diets and they all make no sense at all. I want a plan that will assist in fat burning BUT is still healthy and balanced i.e. not interested in Atkins etc but an open to taking supplements or beef shakes as I call them.

So peeps….. Over to you.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

Replies

• ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You could try Paleo or Keto to help with losing abdominal fat along with any other bad fat that may be lost. Also, you'll gain a small natural muscle in the process without much exercise. If you like strength training/weight lifting, these diets are perfect for it.

Both lifestyles are easy to follow with no weird gimmicky things to buy, just follow the forum's FAQ and ask questions as much as you like. It's really just the food you buy and what you consume of it. Warning: There are some trolls on Reddit.com but overall, very helpful people who have similar goals as you and I.

Here are the two sites you can take a peek at and see if this is for you:

http://www.reddit.com/r/paleo (natural eating, whole complex carbs are allowed, primal exercise encouraged. Best used for maintenance weight/slower weight loss.Calories really aren't counted but eating naturally almost does it for you.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto (Eating good fats to lose bad fats - 60% calories come from fat, 30% calories come from protein and 10% calories come from complex carbs. Easy way to lose fat fast and maintain muscle without much exercise at all. Calories are counted but not strictly, I personally keep under 2000 when I can and it isn't hard at all.) The ratios can be more extreme on the side of less carbohydrates but it can trigger something called "keto flu" but someone will get over it with water, vitamins and eating for satiety.

I do recommend talking with your doctor first to discuss these types of plans. Natural is good as long as it is healthy for -you-.

I am currently on Keto and it is easy to follow but the temptation of eating from fast-food convenience can be hard to shake. I allow one cheat day within my nutrient ratios and enjoy myself. Water, proper vitamins such as a multi vitamin is a good idea to. I plan to switch to Paleo on my next plateau and when I reach my goal weight. I do mostly strength training, swimming and cardio when I feel like it. Some people weight themselves every day. I do it maybe 1-2 times a week just to see where I am goal-wise.

I hope this is helpful! Take care! :)